The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

1st Affiliate Website? Where to get it? How to build it?

Yes, but again companies like freewebs, you are renting the space and don't own anything. May be OK if you don't have a dime, but if you want to build a serious long term business you need a domain and hosting. It's a very minimal investment.

About website build tools

I am wondering about the web build tools that come with a hosting account. I notice that many of them say supported in Frontpage or Adobe web designer software.

1. Is it good to use those web build tools that come with hosting services? Are they limited?

2. if you use the hosting company's web builder do you have to OTHER software in order to manage/edit your site?

3. If you decide to switch hosts do you lose your design, is it on their server the actual template you created?

4. Is it better to create your website with your own software?

Thank you

1. Is it good to use those web build tools that come with hosting services? Are they limited?

If you are good programmer, you can literally use Notepad or any other text editor to code HTML/XML/CSS.

If you have never done web designing, these tools work ok.

But before spending time to learn this free tool, you may want to invest some money in Dreamweaver. Free tools do not have longevity so if you may potentially have to re-learn new software of this version disappears. Dreamweaver on the other hand, is a de facto standard WYSIWYG software. Since their latest version (CS3) is very expensive, you can buy a cheap version of MX2004/Version 8/CS2, learn the product and upgrade in the future if necessary without re-learning.

2. if you use the hosting company's web builder do you have to OTHER software in order to manage/edit your site?

I believe these online tools allows you to edit your existing pages. You will need to find out if your host provider allows you to FTP (upload and down load) your HTML and related files if you want to use any other software. Also, in my experience, some of these free web design tools may generate bloated HTML codes so you *may* encounter some issues when editing these files with a different software.

3. If you decide to switch hosts do you lose your design, is it on their server the actual template you created?

Once again, find out if you can download your pages to your local PC. If yes, then you can port them anywhere

4. Is it better to create your website with your own software?

In my limited experience, I found these free tools to be rather slow, cumbersome and generate unnecessary codes. Having learned Coffeecup HTML editor, then FrontPage (discontinued; replaced with a new product called Expression Web) and now in a process learning Dreamweaver CS3, I wish I would have just started with any version of Dreamweaver from the beginning. Since time is money, learning the product once and incrementally learning the new product features would be a huge advantage IMHO

Good luck!

Thank you Kevin7890,

That is really helpful, I'm glad I asked, using my own software is where I was leaning.

In fact today I finally got a straight answer from a hosting company, Host Monster and they told me that if I sign up and use their free web builder that if I ever wanted to switch hosts, then I would no longer be able to edit my website, unless the new host has the same free web builder program!!--That would suk!

and they also told me that they, as do other hosts, do not provide these site builders to download to your computer, they are only available online on their server, so basically you are stuk with them for as long as you want that site, or else you would have to re build, at least that's how I understood it.

Thanks again, I will check out Coffeecup, I've heard of them, but I believe that it might be too techie for me, I don't know HTML well enough, Webeasy 7 seems to fit me pretty well, or I may just take the plunge and do the free trial of Web Expressions, you are right, might as well learn it from the start, instead of having to relearn new builders 100 times.

Thanks again!!

Thank you Larwee

Is it safe to assume that most of the web builder tools are compatible with affiliate marketing, ie: linking to affiliates, and Adsense and such?

Yes they all should be fine. Some aren't very good for SEO, but if you can add a hyperlink,
which any program will let you do, then you can add an affiliate link.

Not all free sites are lame

I am just beginning. I know my niche market - I have some ideas how to get started.

However, I need to create a website. In the past for antoher project I have built free website (using tripod) but I know that I get what I pay for.

Where do you recommend I look for a user friendly cost efficeint website?

Rob

try 2008freewebsites.com, i've used them before, produces pretty good quality

Linda, I have to say that I don't think that the Free Domain with Hosting is a good thing. From what I've heard, THEY actually still own the domain name, and it's pretty difficult and expensive to buy it when you want to move.

$10 a year through GoDaddy or some other domain provider isn't very much. I know when you're dead broke, it may seem like a lot, but do what I did. I put up some pages with Adsense, and when I made that money (even though I couldn't get a check), I felt justified in buying the domain name, knowing I had already made that money. Then just point your domain to those pages, and VOILA! You have a site!

I have to say also that Microsoft Expressions is a FREE DOWNLOAD TRIAL as is one other you mentioned. So far, NVU and KOMPOZER are the only really good WYSIWYG editors that are totally free that I've found.

Yahoo Site Builder is great, even with the free edition. The good thing about Yahoo is that you can start building your page for free, and then if you like what you use, you can transfer it to hosted very easily. I've been looking at the unlimited $11.95 plan very closely, and looking for feedback on it. It may be the wave of the future, as far as hosting goes. Right now, it sounds too good to be true, and sites like Yahoo have a habit of pulling the rug out from under you on dream deals like this, so I'm watching and waiting to see how good the Unlimited part is and how long it lasts.

Totally agree frugalwench that free hosting is NOT a good option.

My last comment was only answering genuwine4532's question about compatibility.

"Is it safe to assume that most of the web builder tools are compatible with affiliate marketing, ie: linking to affiliates, and Adsense and such?"

With most free hosting I don't think you even get a domain. With many
all you get is a sub domain. Not sure if that's the case with freewebs.

The other thing with free hosting is the search engines don't like or possible even ban sites on free hosts. When is the last time you did a search for anything and saw a freewebs, tripod or bravenet or another other free host come up high or even come up in the 1st 3 pages? However if you want free, some of the social sites like hub pages and squidoo at least get decent rankings sometimes.

Hey Rob

Fireworks or dreamweaver are good programs to make web sites . If you have the layout for your page , the graphics and all the text done it only takes an hour to make a page and add the links. Something about free hosting. when you have enough webg sites you automatically get free hosting but it usually has their ads on it but it's ok because I have a free hosted web site on the first page of search engines. It depends on the search engine. Some like tons of content and some are fine with one page. After tons of research and trial and error, i think I found what makes them tick. I ahve 1 website on the first page of google, 2 on the first of MSN and 3 on the first of Yahoo, selling the same product.

Hi eb5100,

Welcome to 5 Star. You have sites on free hosts that are on all those front pages?
Wow I haven't seen a free host get ranked high for years.

The other concern about free hosts, in addition to the fact you don't own the site and they can pull it - is that the ads on the free hosts are leaks. Affiliates get REALLY upset with merchants that have other ads or adsense on their site because the affiliate looses potential sales. So I would think having ads right on your own site that you you don't profit from and could take people away from your site is even more of a leak. You're making money for the hosting company that could have been yours. :eek:

Thanks for all the information you have all contributed in this thread. I have been helped by your contributions though I did not start the thread.

For hosting I would start with Dreamhost. So incredibly cheap, its insane. They do have downtime though, so once your site starts earning, purchase some higher quality (media temple) level hosting for those high earning sites.

The best and easiest way is to open a free account at blogspot.com, choose a template there, customize it according to your preferences and point it to the domain name you have registered (Blogspot provides such an option).

Hostgator is better!

For hosting I would start with Dreamhost. So incredibly cheap, its insane. They do have downtime though, so once your site starts earning, purchase some higher quality (media temple) level hosting for those high earning sites.

I will have to respectfully disagree, I have used Dreamhost and I switched to Hostgator there is no better hosting, downtime? maybe 5 minutes a year, 9.99 a month for unlimited domains and the BEST service in the business. They are the BEST!

Get Some Free Websites for yourself!

You can use GDI. It is $10 a month and they give you the Sitebuilder Software to use and that includes a domain name and hosting.:D

Thanks for this great newbie resources.It is greatly beneficial and will say the suggestions and information have added to my knowledge.I will like to ask:what is the best method or process for one to take if starting his affiliate marketing promotion on a shoestring budget?
Teli, Linda and Stephen I appreciate your useful suggestions and information you provided.

MI
Back