The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

1st Affiliate Website? Where to get it? How to build it?

Lots of Choices for Building 1st Affiliate Website

Definitely start at blog, they are so popular. I like <b>Blogger</b>, <b>Squidoo</b>, <b>Hubpages</b>, and if you want to design your own, I would definitely recommend <b>GoDaddy</b> and <b>Netfirms</b>.

GoDaddy has domain names from $.99 sometimes, and Netfirms offers hosting plans for as low as $60 for the whole year.

I have been using Dreamweaver for years to design my websites, and it's great software.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use Microsoft front page to create a website. It is very easy. If you know MS word you can use it easily. You use geocities yahoo service for free web hosting. It provide many feature.

You use geocities yahoo service for free web hosting. It provide many feature.

Warning to newbies - Google does not like and will not even list you in the serps if you use most free hosts like Geocities, so I think that's really bad advice. PLUS they put free ads all over the page. So the traffic you work so hard to drive to your site can bleed off to their ads, making THEM money and leaving you with nothing.

If you can't afford a domain and hosting use Blogger or Hubpages or something that Google likes and ranks highly - don't use one of those free hosts.

Newbie - Affiliate Website

Hi robficiur,

What is your niche?

Do you have any programing web design experience?

Yes you can find free templates out there and some great deals!

As one of the members mentioned, you can use front page to create a site..

I use scriptlance - that's how I found my programmer :) You post a project and people "bid" on your project. You can set a price for your budget!

Hope this helps.. Best of luck!

There are a few different styles to affiliate marketing that you can follow:

Single Review Style
Multiple Review Style
Salespage (pre conversion)
Related/Mention Authority Style

Each of these styles of sites must have some sort of information on the backend, be it articles, tips, ideas, pictures etc. that gives the user value in their experience. The method through which you‟re promoting the affiliate might change; however having a user value orientated site does not.

Blogs

A big thanks to fire3fly for the advice on which blogs to check out. As a newbie myself it gives me a place to start.

I suggest you go to namecheap.com for your domains, Hostgator.com for hosting, and download free NVU.com for website building. Do a search for free website templates and where allowed, change them using NVU.com

These are some great idea's but I still have one question. It's been alluded to here but I still have questions. My question is; Do I "need" to have a Website in order to sell affiliate products or can I just use a blog? It is true that if you use a blog, your page will have their domain on your name but does that really matter?

kbhuffaker

"can I just use a blog?"

Sure lots of affiliates do.

"It is true that if you use a blog, your page will have their domain on your name but does that really matter?"

Yes and no. If you get a free hosted blog like from Google Blogger then your domain name would be: yoursitename.blogspot.com

It matters for a few reasons but you can start with a free blog if you really need to. Main reason not to is you don't own it. It's like renting. They make the rules and could decide to evict you (take your blog down) and you'd lose everything. To consumers also as far as conversions, they are used to working with companies that have their own domain so a blogspot domain does not inspire much trust.

More than anything, all the work you do to drive traffic - you are driving it to someone else's site. You are building traffic for Blogger, not yourself.

You can also have your own blog on your own domain. Wordpress is the standard and it's free and easy to use. So it would just cost under 10 a year for your own domain - yourcompany.com and under 10 a month for hosting. Then all the work you do to drive traffic goes to your own site, you have complete control and you own the property instead of renting someone elses.

I am currently using blogger - and have a link to my affiliate site. If I can get someone to actually click on the link and enter the data, that would be mine. Isn't that true of any blog?

Website or Blog

I am a new member and from what I can see so far is that blog will be easier for me to start with rather than a website but I have a question please regarding this, should I look for my niche first or design a blog first? Can I just design a blog using wordpress and then look for my niche after or vise versa? Also should I sign up with an affiliate program before or after designing the site? Will appreciate very much your reply, thx.

I found the niche first and than built my blog around that.
You can use blogger or wordpress, they seem to be the most popular.
Become knowledgeable about whatever you decide. Read, read and than read some more. If you have a little money, invest in taking a course, but be careful, stay within your budget. Don't believe quick rich schemes, they are usually untrue. If you are serious about starting a business, make a plan, look for products that are right for you and within your budget.

And stay away from Adwords until you really understand how it works, and what to do. Read everything you can. You can easily blow through cash quickly with Adwords.

Thanks for your info 4today, that is what I am doing right now is to continue reading in my free time. I am working right now on knowing the Wordpress software a little bit more and of course finding my interesting niche.

I trued to work with Blogger but gave up very soon. It's just a waste of time! Wordpress is much better and has more options.
I heared Godaddy is really cool but I haven't worked with it yet

Those are some really nice advice. Lida did mention that hosting a site is like renting out your property.... so what is the other way around it that you totally own your site??

Lida did mention that hosting a site is like renting out your property.... so what is the other way around it that you totally own your site??

NO, you must have read something wrong or I wasn't clear.

I said having a hosted blog like on blogger or something is like renting. You are renting space someone else built, maintains and owns.

Having your OWN site or blog on your own host IS owning your own site.

great info

I use NVU to do all the instructional videos and it's the exact software I used to start building my sites. It's free and it's just like using a word processor to build your sites. You see what you're doing while you are building so you don't have to learn how to do coding right off the bat.

Like Linda mentioned, it's easy to just go find templates to use them to build your site from. You can find tons of nice looking free templates if you search "free CSS templates" or "free HTML templates." They are free to use as long as you give credit to the designer in the footer, no biggie.

Once you get started, it will get easier and easier and you'll be cranking out websites in no time.

Practice makes perfect.

But, I will say that you definitely don't want to use free hosting. You want to have control of your website. Free hosting has a lot of ads and stuff that you may not want linked to your domain.

Sheree

Good information. Thanks for the introduction to NVU. Their was a wonderful site builder that I really liked... BlueVoda...and had happily and delightfully begun using it--it reminded me so much of the Word 2003 interface. It was very attractive--pretty, and easy to use, too. Had lots of support, numerous downloadable template groups, very reasonable hosting available and there were plenty video tutorials, but for some reason it wouldn't work on my laptop, just my PC. It's extremely easy to use whenever I used it on my PC. If only I could've gotten it to work on the laptop:(

I loved it, and tried, unsuccessfully, over a span of several weeks to resolve the laptop issues using all suggested remedies from their great support team. Sadly, and reluctantly, Ive just had to give up. I think I'll now see what NVU and I may be able to accomplish together.

Thanks again

Your right MsJaxxee, that BlueVoda does look pretty sweet. I've just downloaded it and giving it a test drive. I am using it on my laptop and don't seem to have a problem. I'm running a Compaq Presario V5000. But anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the tip.

MI
Back