The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Will monetizing later hurt a blog?

kenpachi

affiliate
I am trying to follow the sitebuildit C-T-P-M process. I'm currently on the C-T-P part of it and will be for some time, but I can't help but think about the M. I'm kind of worried that when I do start monetizing the blog it could hurt my reputation, or turn off visitors.

Now I'm not talking about obtrusive ads like pop up ads, or anything. I'm talking about affiliate product links that are embedded within content, or contextual ads. I know I am thinking way too many steps ahead, but I just don't want to be in a situation where I have readers and then I introduce some ads, or affiliate links and a little light bulb goes off in their head and they start thinking that "he's just trying to sell stuff".

I do think it's best to focus on building up your content and visitors before monetizing. Not because it could turn them off but because it takes you off track from building a solid foundation 1st.

If you give them something of value and keep them loyal because they like what they are getting from you - then well placed, targeted and tasteful links aren't going to turn most people off. If you think of it more like "helping" them find things they need - instead of thinking of it like "selling" them - it may help you keep things in perspective.

I don't think ads are going to turn off readers if you've got good content. The question I ask myself is will I be making enough money from the ads for it to be worth putting them up? If not, then your primary focus should still be on the content and getting readers IMO.

Definitely not.

It is understandable that new bloggers eventually will monetize one's site. If the ads that you will be presenting to your readers will help them, why not. Remember, relevance of the ad to your branding is a must and the ad must serve the needs of your readers or at least offer an option for them.

Exactly. Much depends on your presentation of the ads and quite frankly, in this day and age of heavy advertising, I truly believe "less is more". In other words, sticking up a site full of ads would more likely turn people off (and away) than an obscure text link to an affiliate product. Good luck - sounds to me like you've already got the right perspective! :)

Hi kenpachi,

I've also been reading the C-T-P-M process. I think there are some really great advice in those lessons. I'm not as far as you are but I have been marketing another product and from my experience there, I would say to stay on track with the C-T-P-M process and don't rush the monetizing part. Remember what is taught about preselling before monetizing.

I been very successful at writing articles and getting them ranked with Google by using related and relevant keywords and backlinking. I plan on doing the same thing as I put the C-T-P-M process in action.

Good luck and I'd love to hear how you are doing. Maybe we can knock ideas off each other about C-T-P-M and be successful together.

Its depends on your content..
Most highly successful blogs are tightly themed. That means they focus closely on a certain subject or niche, such as local residential real estate, working from home income techniques, '60's muscle cars, or needlepoint. This focus will help you build a core base of loyal readers and subscribers. These are very important for the immediate and long term success of your blog. In addition, having a large, vibrant subscriber list adds a large amount of value to your blog should you want to sell it. If you're having trouble choosing a theme, look for one with a large profit potential. There will be more on this later.

Decide on what you'll call your blog and get your own domain name. These are very affordable, and will help you sidestep the problems of using a free hosting platform. You will own the domain and will be free to do with it as you please. You blog will actually be an asset that you control.

As a SBI guy myself, just keep building solid content and lots of it. When you come to the point of monetizing your blog, make sure it's useful stuff that will help your readers.

They'll love you for the content that solved their problem and love you for the suggestions you made.

Your entire goal is to brand yourself and as an expert in your niche. Do it well and from the heart and people will begin to follow your every move. ;)

Regards,

Tony Thomas

Personally, I have never monetized a site until it is getting reasonable traffic. After all, what is the point if you are only getting a smattering of traffic on a daily basis?

It will hurt if you do not got anything interesting for your readers.
The first impression is very important, because if you visit a site and there's nothing interesting on it, you might think twice before you go to that site again.
But if you got quality content for the readers they will stay with you forever!!
So it really depends on your site.

banners
Back