The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Why stopping campaigns is bad?

LisaSummer

affiliate
I hear a lot that stopping campaigns for weekends or for optimization purposes is a bad idea. Is there a reasonable explanation? FB, Google, Native

1. spending money when there is no return is bad
  2. taking a small loss or breakeven when optimizing is tolerable
  3. weekends can be good or bad -- there is no general rule --that depends on what you are selling (offering)

Let the campaign run for a full week (or even more for better data if you can afford it) then you can daypart based on your best days/times.

A reasonable explanation could be that leads go to a call center that only operates M-F. A lead that comes in Friday at 8pm is stale by Monday morning. That being said, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that any residual traffic still gets paid for on weekends, if you schedule campaigns accordingly. Most real advertisers in the business understand "stopping" traffic entirely hinders their traffic opportunities. Publishers will just skip over them.

I judge a campaign by its statistical properties;
  • 500 to 1,500 raw clicks is usually a valid sample --at least of progress or value
  • 20 to 100 CTR past your Landing page gives me a pretty good insight of the offer's user affinity
  • If 0 conversions (or goals) met then it is a loser.

Maybe I misread... I thought she was asking why campaigns may need to be paused for weekends, not actual adwords/PPC strategy. I gave an example from my experience where traffic from a campaign (that generated leads) needed to be dialed back regardless of the negative effect that may result within the ad network.

Good advertiser (or a network) wouldn't ask pubs to keep traffic over weekend. Just some people say pausing multiple times is killing for a campaign.
So I have been wondering if it true or it's an industry myth.

As for the comments regarding optimization – when switching from an old vertical to a new one it's hard to know at the first glance, because you don't know what to expect.

Who said anything about *leads*?
That said, if you want Internet traffic from affiliates (where you can't control days or times) you need to be available 24/7. Or otherwise: make your hours KNOWN to advertisers (affiliates).

The only way to see how an offer perform for your traffic on the weekend is to run it on the weekend. Maybe on a couple of weekends to get enough data. Then optimize based on performance. Also, Depending on the niche, you can create weekend specific copy/creatives and test with that. Moral of the story is, generally speaking, people keep browsing the internet on weekends, the traffic is still there even if it's less traffic, now if you have a converting offer I don't see why would you pause it on the weekend unless the sales volume drops so much it takes your spend-revenue balance off track.

OK :)
I took it as just a question in generalities.
The dilemma (as I see it);
  1. do my ads suck?
  2. do my target demographics suck?
  3. does my offer suck?
Could be any of the above ^ ;)

People do buy on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays online.
It depends on what you are selling and the people you are selling to. Sunday is the first workday of the week in many countries ...

MI
Back