The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Why does Google do this

temi

affiliate
When you search for a site name, Google usually return two url for the site, there are other where Google return just one URL. Is the site Google return two urls from better rated that the one that it return 1 URL from or just a quark?

I must be missing something, I typed in habaa and habaa info in google and came up with different results that what your posting.

Lanre,
Its quite significant, because when we have two url we get more hits to the second url for example lately at velnet.com we have been getting lots of link exchange request, that is because after velnet.com is returned velnet.com's link exchange page is also returned, so we get the main keyword traffic as usual and the secondary traffic to the link exchange page.
This also varies from week to wee, about two weeks ago it was one of our hosting sub pages that was listed as second url and that week we had more hosting related hits

temi said:
perhaps different Google data centre work differently

That's what I'm thinking, since ad-sense is regional I see no reason why Google search wouldn't be as well.

I think Google search use geo IP to server results, it determines what country you are searching from and serve contents it think will be more relevant to you.

What happens is that when Google grabs its results, it only formats a few pages. If the same site has more than one page in these pages, then it drags the second page up from its position, and drops it indented below the top placing site.

E.G. you search for dog site, and your home page is ranked 5, but you also have another category page that ranks 26. Google grabs the one ranked 26, and moves it all the way up to position 6, but indicates it has been moved by indenting it.

I try to get as many results like this as I can, as it does a number of things. Firstly it sets you apart from all the other sites on the page, it also makes you look more important, and thirdly, it pushes all the other pages down one place, and sends the tenth placed site away to page 2.

Google and all the other search engines give different 'worldwide' searches on their regional search pages. they always have, as it makes sense. MSN is the biggest difference currently. I have a client who does gifts, and a search for his targeted top phrase returns 9 million on MSN.co.uk but 36 million on msn.com .

MI
Back