The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Why buy from my "affiliate" site rather then the main site?

countrygal1952

affiliate
I have always wanted to ask this question. What would make a person want to buy, say, a Kodak camera from my affiliate site, rather than just buy it from Amazon where I might be an affiliate marketer for(hypothetically)?

I mean, in the offline world, it's easier to go into a store down the street and buy a camera then to buy it from the main store which it is not geographically reasonable for me to make a trip there. But in the online world, all people have to do is type in another URL. So Amazon.com is much easier then say countrygals.com, easier because the name is so familiar.

So I think I am answering my own question. It's all about convincing people that shop online to shop at the "little guys" store, or gal in my case. But also, isn't it cheaper for them to order direct from Amazon then to go through me? Can a person really give more personalized "mom and pops" service, make their site friendlier so to speak?

I would love to know how others, that are actually affiliate marketers, feel about this and what are some good tactics or guidelines. I understand it is also about SEO. If people do a search for koday camera, I want my site to come up on the first page of Google or whatever search engine. Usually, I see a lot of the big names on first page, few "little guys" but I suppose it depends on what the niche is as well.

Anyway, just thought this might be an interesting topic that's probably been done many times here;)

Denise

Hi Country Gal, I am a country boy and an affiliate marketer. Since we are both "country", exactly how much do you know about cameras? Just so happens i need a new camera, my friends tell me that Kodak and Canon are the best 2 cameras on the market, but more specifically the kodak 210 model and the Canon AE-1, but since i am a country boy and my friends are all country too, I really can't trust their opinions can I? We can build fences, ride horses and much more that is important, but none of us are tech junkies or photographers. I know, i will go to amazon and read some reviews, so I do a search for amazon reviews. I am kinda new to this because i don't spend much time on the computer...there is work to do ya know, so maybe my random search will help.

Maybe I should do some comparisons from experts with facts, figures and experience with the cameras in question. Oh my! when i searched for amazon reviews I find an article like Fake Reviews: Amazon's Rotten Core - Forbes . Now who can I trust if Amazon has fake and paid reviews.

So then I do a search for camera reviews and he is a professional photographer, it's what he does for a living and he has a great portfolio. Yeah...that's much better, he has experience and give me the facts and information I need to make an informed decision since I need that new camera.

He even provides sources ( affiliate links) to the best companies where they can help me as a beginner, a great warranty and may even have a sale or a special coupon code to help save me more. They also service the cameras and can make the repairs. Wow, Amazon doesn't make repairs, they just sell them, they have no extra warranty services and no phone number where i can talk to an expert if i need help.

I sure am happy i ran across that expert (affiliate) because now i have the right camera, from the right company at the right price and with expert support.

Maybe there is a reason for affiliates!

I know the story was made up, but it happens every day across the US and around the world millions of times. Affiliates have to be experts in their field, it is not just popping up a site and throwing some affiliate links in it, you have to add value so that the searcher gets what they need or want.

A real affiliate is an expert in their niche, they spend countless hours researching, testing and then putting it in a format that helps their visitors each and every day. Affiliate marketing is not some scam when done correctly, it is a service that helps millions and millions each week to find what they need and what best suits their needs, not just some link in a page of worthless gibberish.

Affiliates, at least smart ones rarely go after top level keywords, they go after long tail keywords to provide specific information and assistance to their visitors. An example would be comparison keywords, review keywords and much more.

Be a proud affiliate and help people get what they need and want and you will be rewarded greatly.

Also, just FYI, I am a real country boy that was raised on a dairy farm in the deep south.:)

Thanks Jim, really good points!

Here is a reason to find a topic you can be passionate about. Sticking with the camera example, if you are an avid photographer and write great content and tips that attract people to YOUR site, then you smartly post links in or around your content? some of the people that come to read your article and begin to trust you will click your links and buy. They usually don't think of it as buying from you or even realize you are making a commish. If you do it right it's just like you are turning them onto a good idea, a great product or letting them know about a special offer.

So if your article is about a certain type of photography and you say, "I've found the XYZ lens to be best for this particular application and Amazon has a great price on it right now", hopefully some will click through to buy.

They are still buying AT Amazon, you just introduced them.

That's just one of MANY ways to do it...

Re: Why buy from my "affiliate" site rather then the main site?

This was just excellent! I didn't know what sort of answer I would get J and this really opened my eyes to what Affiliate Marketing is and what it takes to make a successful site. I am way more excited about going ahead with it now:) I still am not sure about my niche but after reading a great post Linda made about "do what you love" or being passionate about your "niche" this is all adding up.

Thank you for your time, thank you soooooooo much, denise

---------- Post Merged at 08:38 AM ----------

I was raised in the country as well although we didn't have a ranch or farm. But it is where my heart is. One huge reason I want to do this work is because I could live where I want pretty much:) Thank you again J! PS I lived in NW Alabama during the time Katrina hit. But how I loved the South:) denise

Also, just FYI, I am a real country boy that was raised on a dairy farm in the deep south.:)

---------- Post Merged at 08:43 AM ----------

Yes, it is about the content. I know going to a site that is all flashy ads etc. is such a turn-off to me. I'd like people to feel like they just walked into a down-home mom and pop store when they come to my site. I truly love to write but their aren't many "products" I am passionate about. But, there are things in life I am passionate about and love.

That article by Alister made me start thinking more along the lines of what I love to do and that connect the dots with some products. One example is I love to kayak. Another is actually photography, but, I am no pro or expert on either. So research which I just happen to really enjoy. This could work for me!! denise:D

Thanks Jim, really good points!

Here is a reason to find a topic you can be passionate about. Sticking with the camera example, if you are an avid photographer and write great content and tips that attract people to YOUR site, then you smartly post links in or around your content? some of the people that come to read your article and begin to trust you will click your links and buy. They usually don't think of it as buying from you or even realize you are making a commish. If you do it right it's just like you are turning them onto a good idea, a great product or letting them know about a special offer.

So if your article is about a certain type of photography and you say, "I've found the XYZ lens to be best for this particular application and Amazon has a great price on it right now", hopefully some will click through to buy.

They are still buying AT Amazon, you just introduced them.

That's just one of MANY ways to do it...

But also, isn't it cheaper for them to order direct from Amazon then to go through me?
I don't think anyone addressed this - if I missed it, I apologize. The answer is no - your being an affiliate doesn't make any difference in what they pay, and that's one of the great things about being an affiliate.

Also, I wanted to mention that the concept of affiliate marketing in general is not something most people understand. They don't realize that the site they came upon in Google about cameras is an affiliate site. All they know is that there was good info there which helped them make the decision to purchase at Amazon. In their mind, they're not purchasing through an affiliate - they're just buying at Amazon as if they had gone there directly, not knowing the link they clicked on had an affiliate ID embedded in it.

Of course, more people may become aware of all this as marketers (hopefully) make their compensation disclosures more readily accessible in response to the FTC's guidelines. But still I am of the opinion that the vast majority are blissfully ignorant of our existence at all. :)

MI
Back