The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

What to do with aging mailing list?

P

PBSGCREC

I started in my position approx. 8 years ago, and at this time we had a mailing list with approx. 25,000 names. I'm not certain who built the original list or how, but I would say it was "good" or "decent". We get some bounces from random email addresses, unrelated to our products, but we do get effective leads.

With limited skills and knowledge with email marketing, I was adding healthy emails (clients and potential clients) to the list over the years. Looking back, I wish I had started a list from scratch.

The current problem: Now that I have a better understanding of email marketing, I realize that the list could be better. Starting a new list from scratch would obviously be ideal, however, I am afraid to lose the genuine names I've been adding over the years.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Just having a good list doesnt help if you dont have an email sending platform that gives you good delivery rate.
Building a new list sounds good, but unless you have an incredibly well performing squeeze page, i am afraid you will take ages to build a substantial list.
If i were you, i would look around for mainstream generic offers that work with generic email lists.

Thank you.

So you're telling me that are freelancers who can rebuild generic lists? What exactly will they do? Is this effective?

I was talking about the list you already have.
And yes, there are plenty of sources where you can buy email lists from, but i'd never recommend that.

I started in my position approx. 8 years ago, and at this time we had a mailing list with approx. 25,000 names. I'm not certain who built the original list or how, but I would say it was "good" or "decent". We get some bounces from random email addresses, unrelated to our products, but we do get effective leads.

With limited skills and knowledge with email marketing, I was adding healthy emails (clients and potential clients) to the list over the years. Looking back, I wish I had started a list from scratch.

The current problem: Now that I have a better understanding of email marketing, I realize that the list could be better. Starting a new list from scratch would obviously be ideal, however, I am afraid to lose the genuine names I've been adding over the years.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

A few observations.
1. It's ok to lose some subscribers. Priorities change, requirements change... Why hold on to subscribers who have no interest in buying whatever your have to sell? A bit of churn is fine, perhaps even desirable.
2. When you let go of some subscribers (who were never your target audience in the first place), the remaining subscriber base gives you a much more accurate list of your buyer persona.
3. There are some specific ways to reaching out to old emails lists. I had a link somewhere with guidance on how to engage with old emails - if I get it, I will sure share it here.

MI
Back