The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Website Backup

Depending on your hosting company, ask for their support department

What I know is that most of the hosting companies today do website backups. I will say the feature is among those that you should always consider when looking for a better hosting package. It is better for you to pay hosting that will come as a complete package rather than paying only for one feature. You can try the ipage hosting packages available because they have been my service providers for sometime now and I have never been disappointed. The other company is digital ocean.

What I know is that most of the hosting companies today do website backups. I will say the feature is among those that you should always consider when looking for a better hosting package. It is better for you to pay hosting that will come as a complete package rather than paying only for one feature. You can try the ipage hosting packages available because they have been my service providers for sometime now and I have never been disappointed. The other company is digital ocean.

Hi, how much do iPage charge you for backup?

I'd recommend getting something external to your hosting company, nobody really guarantees backups and better you have their backups + your own that you control in case of emergency.

Code Guard is quite good.

Are you WP based or what are you backing up?

I'd recommend getting something external to your hosting company, nobody really guarantees backups and better you have their backups + your own that you control in case of emergency.

+1

No hosting company anywhere is going to guarantee their backups. There is simply too much liability and too many litigious people out there.

Even more, while most hosting companies will claim they do backups, not all backup solutions are equal. I've done a lot of research in this area and the vast majority of hosting providers will simply do snapshots - sometimes only one,a nd sometimes only once a week. Snapshots are a crazy-weak backup solution, and there are a lot of scenarios where snapshots simply won't work well.

For example, say you accidentally delete a critical file (happens more often than you might think!) and you just need to restore a single file? Most hosting companies that backup with snapshots won't do single-file restorations. They just restore the shapshot and you end up losing all your data between when the snapshot was made and the point at which the file was deleted.

Duration of backups is also very important. Say your site gets hacked and you don't notice it for a few weeks. If you hosting company only keeps a week of backups, you're screwed.

Bottom line, paying attention to backups is extremely important. High-quality web hosting providers will include quality backups by default!

+1

No hosting company anywhere is going to guarantee their backups. There is simply too much liability and too many litigious people out there.

Even more, while most hosting companies will claim they do backups, not all backup solutions are equal. I've done a lot of research in this area and the vast majority of hosting providers will simply do snapshots - sometimes only one,a nd sometimes only once a week. Snapshots are a crazy-weak backup solution, and there are a lot of scenarios where snapshots simply won't work well.

For example, say you accidentally delete a critical file (happens more often than you might think!) and you just need to restore a single file? Most hosting companies that backup with snapshots won't do single-file restorations. They just restore the shapshot and you end up losing all your data between when the snapshot was made and the point at which the file was deleted.

Duration of backups is also very important. Say your site gets hacked and you don't notice it for a few weeks. If you hosting company only keeps a week of backups, you're screwed.

Bottom line, paying attention to backups is extremely important. High-quality web hosting providers will include quality backups by default!
Super great point! When I owned/ran Site5.com we guaranteed only VPS backups, and only on damages up to 1 year of what you were spending with us. To my knowledge that is the only time backups have been guaranteed in the issue.

I put my backups on a variety of services, so I have at least 2 locations. I sleep a lot easier at night.

MI
Back