The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

VPS Advice Please

TJ, this is exciting, I can't wait to get started! :)
Stay excited, it's the first thing I do each morning is be grateful I am in this industry!

Guess that's telling my age.
Me too, but the age thing is of no matter in this industry.

Should I learn more about proper tracking before I get into all of this? Re having two accounts, I'm now wishing that I hadn't purchased the 3 year deal from Hostgator. Oh well, I'll use it for niche sites or something.
You should be learning these things at the beginning and at the same time.
Creating Ads and Copy
Learning and implementing a single traffic source until you master it
Learning and implementing a single marketing path until you master it
Learning and implementing a single tracking solution until you master it
Learning and Managing your own VPS (the easiest of all of this!)

Once you have committed to a VPS solution, migrate all of your sites, domains, etc. to the new server and then see if there is a pro-rated refund available from your shared hosting provider. Migrating HTML Landers and such is quick and easy. Migrating WordPress sites is easy using a program called Duplicator for WordPress. Let us know if you need help with that.

Thank-you for your help and support, TJ. You are awesome! :)
You are so very welcome azgold, you are the awesome one in my opinion. You are one of the few I see in this forum as a Newbie really taking action and asking lots of valuable questions. I can tell from your questions that you are taking action. Congrats to you girl!, and keep the questions coming.

I love point and click! I don't know what most of those menu items are for but I love point and click!
We all do, it generally saves time and reduces learning curves.

Just please tell me that if I mess up, I won't irreversibly break it or something. Tell me they do backups.
The most important thing to do is ask for help with the VPS Staff. They are always ready and willing to teach you and inform you as to what is important and how to do it with the WHM. Like I said, there aren't a lot of things in the WHM that you need to attend to, but the few things in there that are important the staff will walk you through. Most of the time you will set it and forget it, with a few exceptions.

By the way, you mentioned "Raid system" in your previous post. If that's pertinent, would you be kind enough to give me a synopsis? If it's not, I don't need to know. The extra info will only turn my brain to mush. :)
RAID Systems are pertinent, but you do not need to learn them. There are several forms of raid systems. Primarily they are used for spreading data across multiple drives to insure the integrity and availability of data. Don't worry about this at the moment. Just know that it is a reliable and commonly used means of storing your data on several drives in one of several configurations.

As far as backups, most hosts do full backups of your account, as well, you can find backup programs in both your CPanel and in your WHM. Again, the VPS Support Staff wil gladly walk you through this. I recommend backing up everything on the server at least once a week. I also recommend backing up each WordPress Site with Duplicator once or twice a month depending on the frequency of new content.

If you don't have experience with WHM, how can you suggest one must deal with command line instructions? WHM is primarily point and click for any of the features that marketers will use. ...
In addition, the Bluehost Starter Package I recommended is a managed solution:
Managed or un-managed, all hosts recommend learning the basics of the feature rich environment and options in the WHM.

I'm not saying one needs to know command line to get started. But I doubt WHM is completely free of bugs (after all which software is?), so it's likely that at some point the command line may be needed to fix an issue. I do have experience with Plesk software and though most things can be done using its GUI, it is far from perfect and sometimes commands are needed to fix issues which arise from it. Are you trying to tell me that WHM/CPanel is so perfect that such issues don't occur?

Of course in a managed solution the hosting party should be able fix such issues for you. I was talking about a completely unmanaged root VPS.

Stay excited, it's the first thing I do each morning is be grateful I am in this industry!

I try to remember to do that but usually just jump in. Think that's how I lose focus sometimes....not stopping to map out my day, what I want to do and why I'm happy that I stumbled across this industry.

Me too, but the age thing is of no matter in this industry.

Thank god, that's one of the reasons I like it. The other is, well - it's just plain fun and challenging. However, I have moments when it feels TOO challenging. I'm finding that if I give it a few days, that typically passes.

You should be learning these things at the beginning and at the same time.
Creating Ads and Copy
Learning and implementing a single traffic source until you master it
Learning and implementing a single marketing path until you master it
Learning and implementing a single tracking solution until you master it
Learning and Managing your own VPS (the easiest of all of this!)

Ads and copy - no problem, though I do want to improve some.

Single traffic source - been working on 7Search display only because I want to understand how to use it. Right now, I don't know what I'm doing, I'm just doing it.

Single marketing path - oops.

Single tracking solution - started working on learning Bevo but left a couple of weeks ago in frustration. Figured that I'd start back and just use one thing at a time until I figure it out then add more.

And the VPS - as you know, a work in progress, as well. :)

Once you have committed to a VPS solution, migrate all of your sites, domains, etc. to the new server and then see if there is a pro-rated refund available from your shared hosting provider. Migrating HTML Landers and such is quick and easy. Migrating WordPress sites is easy using a program called Duplicator for WordPress. Let us know if you need help with that.

Thank-you. When I get to that point, I will.

You are so very welcome azgold, you are the awesome one in my opinion. You are one of the few I see in this forum as a Newbie really taking action and asking lots of valuable questions. I can tell from your questions that you are taking action. Congrats to you girl!, and keep the questions coming.

Thx! I'm trying to take at least one step forward for each two steps back. :) I am loving the idea that the day will come when I fully understand all of this. I seriously didn't think it would be this involved. By that, I mean so technical. I don't know why I thought that, probably because I read some Warrior PDFs on the subject. :)

By the way, I see you there from time to time. :ninja:

Wow. You just made this all feel way safer and easier to use. Thank-you!

Re RAID - I actually sort of understand. Huh. I may get the hang of this stuff, afterall.

banners
Back