The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

V7N forums is for sale!

Minimum bid is set to $400,000 now, i knew it would be :D

If i can drop him 75,000 i will make a bid for sure.

All he needs to draw the attention of a serious investor. I have a doubt that he can sell this SPF, If this would be an underground deal would be better.

If i had a high paying site doing well I will never auction it in public, I will look for VC's or agents who make a deal for me.

Public auction may give V7N a short term gain in terms of links, buzz where people will talk about it but it may also hurt it's online reputation. It wont attract any serious investor who will buy a brand if it is exposed it's weakness to public? [IMO]

On the other hand John Scott is much more smarter, experienced and intelligent than me, he is successful, so raising concern over his decision might be a foolishness of me. :) I am trying to say SPF is not a place where you can host auction for a site like V7N.

I am sure he can prove all the income etc he claimed, the only think I found extraordinary is the fact that he put the site up for sale after the second PR update which sees the forum dropping from PR6 to PR3 and then the homepage following suit and becoming PR3.

The forum is doing well in SERPs thought.

I am sure he can prove all the income etc he claimed, the only think I found extraordinary is the fact that he put the site up for sale after the second PR update which sees the forum dropping from PR6 to PR3 and then the homepage following suit and becoming PR3.

The forum is doing well in SERPs thought.

This might be one good reason he has lost his interest! If this might be the case he is selling calculating the user base as this is one thing which attract investors most.

If this might be the case he is selling calculating the user base as this is one thing which attract investors most.

I think number of quality members on can think of as quality members are less than half of the total members, most of the users (like in most forums except for very few exceptional forums) are spammers rather than quality users who contributes value to the forum or potential marketing targets that could attract individual or company to buy the site.

I think number of quality members on can think of as quality members are less than half of the total members, most of the users (like in most forums except for very few exceptional forums) are spammers rather than quality users who contributes value to the forum or potential marketing targets that could attract individual or company to buy the site.

This a valid point you have raised. Quality rules over quantity! I can easily guess another reason why Scott is inspired to sell off his site as it doesn't meet to his expectations.

But, a strong moderator can easily control the spammers, he can figure out this person is raising his post counts and spamming the forums. If that is the case I guess some one will raise the questions about his forum management capabilities.

I still dont think this is wise to host a public auction like this to sell off a premium site. ;)

I still dont think this is wise to host a public auction like this to sell off a premium site. ;)

That I agree with since 99% of SitePoint members probably could not afford it. It would have been wiser to get an agent to approach companies that could be interested, that way it will be done in a dignified way and he may even get more money if the right companies are approved in the correct way, with professionals preparing the sales document rather than a semi crude post at SitePoint.

Honestly if any one got it what would you do with it. John has been there from the beginning, for him to suddenly go & be replaced by who ever it wont be the same its a tough pair of shoes to step into.

I actually think the forum has matured from it being dependent solely on John to it functioning quite well independent of him.

I actually think the forum has matured from it being dependent solely on John to it functioning quite well independent of him.

True! But V7N already have a new man looking after the daily operations. here is the quote from John Scott's blog:

Adam Smith, a friend I knew in Seattle who lives with his wife and children here in Tokyo, has taken over day-to-day operations.

Yes,
I do use V7N frequently, I think John has not be as present as he used to be for many months actually.

MI
Back