The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Using the facebook name?

1million1

affiliate
Hello,

I heard it somewhere that you could not use the name facebook in a domain name. Example facebookmarketing.com (I just made that up)

I have done several searches on google and on this forum and can not find out any info about, if you can use facebook in a domain name.

Godaddy will let you use facebook in a domain name when you play around with their search domain feature.

Any info would be great about this would be great.

Hi 1million1,

GoDaddy will let you register any name you want. They aren't in the trademark protection business.
Thing is you don't want to reg a domain with Facebook or anyone else's trademarked name in it.

You can do it, but then they can force you to turn it over to them or even sue you for it. You don't want to put work into a site and then risk losing it, right?

I think Linda's point is not to use anything that is a tradename or trademarked. If you are not sure about a name, Google it and see if it is a company name.

I'm curious why you would use such name like facebook in your domain?

When it isn't your product don't use it anyway in my opinion..

it's not only the tradename owner you should be careful with on this.
just a little story on cybersquatting - another affiliate in a program I joined registered the company-name.co.uk domain recently and started pushing his links there. it's a small company yet well-known in their niche - they did not notice. but I did, and the response was swift and brutal - I got the affiliate suspended from the program AND from the network for this. always be careful around these issues - if you can get an unfair advantage from it, SOMEONE will notice and get reactive about it. better not go in there if you plan to stay in that business for long.

banners
Back