The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

The biggest obstacle to success in this business?

OscarMike

Hi all, after launching 3 campaigns in the last month using Facebook Ads, I've come to the conclusion that success in this business isn't guaranteed. It's painful to spend money and not see any results. Yes, technically, all is not lost because I've collected marketing data; I see what works and doesn't work. But I hate spending money and not getting sales. I can get a better return investing in the stock market. I haven't given up though. Persistence is key.

Businessman Tilman Fertitta wrote in his book that the number one reason why business fail is because they lack enough working capital (for things like marketing, etc).

Do you agree?

I believe that another factor is traffic temperature. Facebook Ads is a source of cold traffic. Cold traffic = impulse buys. Jim Edwards, who is the author of the book Copywriting Secrets, defines cold traffic as "people who don't know they have a problem until they see my ad." He also said cold traffic is the hardest traffic to convert but if you can get it to convert into sales, it's the most lucrative. There's more cold traffic than there is warm/hot traffic. There are some entrepreneurs making $1,000,000 a month in revenue using Facebook Ads.

An analogy I like to use to help people understand cold traffic is the supermarket checkout. I don't know what checkouts are like in the USA, but here in Canada, most supermarkets display chocolate bars and gum near the checkout. People waiting in line to buy their food can make impulse buys. This boosts the customer's average order value for the store. The thing to note about impulse buys at the supermarket is that the bulk of profit doesn't come from chocolate bars and gum. It comes from selling other items in the store. When someone goes shopping to buy food for the week, they're not buying chocolate bars and gum at the checkout. They're typically buying food for meals. The amount of sales from impulse buys at the checkout is relatively low compared to other items like meat, bread, milk etc. The impulse buys are similar to sales on Facebook. They're sporadic.

I think that's why I haven't had much success using Facebook Ads to sell ecommerce products. It's difficult to get Facebook users to buy products when all they wanted to do was browse their friends FB profile.

PPC Coach did a case study where he sold a print-on-demand coffee mug and got 3 sales after spending only $80. He makes it look easy. It wasn't a retargeting or Look Alike campaign either. It was a broad interest campaign. But the case study was done in 2020. I copied his campaign and didn't get any sales.

In your opinion, is it possible to get 3 sales after spending $80 in 2023?

Thanks

Last edited:
"but successful growth companies optimize around the job. Competitive advantage is conferred through an organization's unique processes: the ways it integrates across functions to perform the customer's job."
"Competing Against Luck: The Story of Innovation and Customer Choice" by Clayton M. Christensen, Karen Dillon, Taddy Hall, David S. Duncan.

Start reading it for free: Competing Against Luck: The Story of Innovation and Customer Choice

What you can deliver really matters.
In your opinion, is it possible to get 3 sales after spending $80 in 2023?

$80/(PPC @)$2.5 (like: Google Ads)
32 'clicks' you should get 2-4 conversions --if your product or offer delvers, and if as an affiliate; you get a straight count.

"but successful growth companies optimize around the job. Competitive advantage is conferred through an organization's unique processes: the ways it integrates across functions to perform the customer's job."
"Competing Against Luck: The Story of Innovation and Customer Choice" by Clayton M. Christensen, Karen Dillon, Taddy Hall, David S. Duncan.

Start reading it for free: Competing Against Luck: The Story of Innovation and Customer Choice

What you can deliver really matters.

$80/(PPC @)$2.5 (like: Google Ads)
32 'clicks' you should get 2-4 conversions --if your product or offer delvers, and if as an affiliate; you get a straight count.
Thanks for the link Graybeard. I will check out the book.

These general terms do not work for me...

"Marketeters making 1 million a month running Facebook ads...."

That is not enough information to draw any conclusions on how to run ads.

If they are earning 1 million a month, imagine how much they are spending a month
What is the ROAS....???

What products are they running..?

What is their ad design, copy...? What's their recipe for success.....

Let's learn more...

3 campaigns are not enough to sharpen my teeth....¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I would use a good mentor...

Attachments

• Think.jpg
    Think.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 11
If they are earning 1 million a month, imagine how much they are spending a month
What is the ROAS....???

What products are they running..?

What is their ad design, copy...? What's their recipe for success.....
Their breakeven ROAS is 1.5. Anything lower than that, and he kills the adset.

He has multiple case studies for his stores. He sold charcoal teeth whitening, posture corrector, dog leashes. He dropships from China using AliExpress. He uses ZenDesk to outsource customer service. Many of his stores are getting 400 sales a day each.

He doesn't share his ad copy unfortunately. He does use Facebook video ads though. He says that video ads are best for cold traffic (better than picture ads). He uses a combo of text clips and video. He hires people on Fiverr to use the product on camera. He then makes a montage of 5-10 people using the product. He uses music in the video.

Well probably you hear it many times but making your full time online its not easy
Also using paid traffic its not so easy even if you have a lot of money to spend
You need to fail many times and never give up ,the same with organic traffic
The peoole who eventualy found tbe big gold in the mountain are those who never give up

Success in all businesses is not guaranteed. Not every niche will benefit from Facebook advertising. So I recommend you research what type of activity in social media suits your niche best. You may find other ways than ads. The experience has taught me that optimisation and testing your results are the keys to success. You have to keep up to date with new updates and know how to use the potential of these adverts appropriately. Persistence is vital, but for me, monitor your results and the effort you put into it. By action, I mean - time to study, read use - cases, follow the news and test it yourself. Nothing teaches us as well as practice.

Misinformation, twisted information with ulterior motives and just plain out-of-date information is a very big obstacle in business as to sends you off in the wrong direction and wastes a incredible amount of time --heading down that empty rabbit hole ...

The analogy of cold traffic being like supermarket impulse buys is spot on! It's a challenging space, but it's not impossible. In 2023, it's still possible to get sales with a well-planned campaign. The landscape evolves, and what worked in 2020 might need some tweaks. Keep analyzing, experimenting, and using services like Persistence pays off in the long run. Here's to more successful campaigns ahead!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can get a better return investing in the stock market.
Agreed, Money Market accounts are getting near 5% now and medium risk preferred shares are yielding 7% to 9%
Crying in my coffee over this easy win I didn't make
Knew it was there had it watching as "open orders" from April 18. 2023

XNTK2023-08-09.jpg

Thing is, if you can find a winner in that affiliate marketing arena you can make an extra $50K a year or more --I did that years ago --not lately.
However, saturated offers (or programs) with low payouts don't make real money --unless they convert in volume for you.

Good luck! All I can say is that you need to find a disrupting offer or value proposition, or a straight up unicorn. Financial processing AI my be my unicorn --I am working toward that end now --testing it on my own small investing.

Lack in transparency of data from sources
  • ad networks
  • affiliate networks
  • affiliate programs
Basis in the chart below is the average price in the year 2018 -- Hodl for 5 years is the scenario.
I `could` do this with accurate data in this industry; think of the "symbol" columns as campaigns or offers.
Same idea, really similar logic. This stock chart is from GAAP or audited data from filings with the SEC (stock exchange).

1696247460330.png

Anyway; Data talks and Bullshit walks ... (to paraphrase)

banners
Back