The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Stupid question? Promoting multiple competing brands

Lauren1026

As an affiliate, are you "allowed" to market/promote multiple competing brand names? For instance, can you join 2 different cell phone affiliate programs (for 2 different brand names) and have 1 website with links to both companies so that the consumer can compare the 2 brands and make an informed decision? I'm just trying to understand all I can before I become an affiliate and am in way over my head. At this point I really don't know anything. Maybe this is a really stupid idea anyway, even if it is allowed-- any thoughts? I hope this question makes sense.
Thanks!
Lauren

Hi Lauren,

There are NO stupid questions.

You can and sometimes SHOULD add competing products. How many types of butter does your grocery store carry? How many compueter brands are at CompUSA stores?

Sometimes it's good to give conumers a choice, sometimes it's better to get them through the sales funnel without distractions too.

I sort of answered this question too in the Sat TV thread.

"If I were an affiliate for Revenue Allies, I would create a site with a generic satellite name - lets just say satellitebestbuys.com The home page would contain marketing copy about both and suggest consumers shop and compare. Maybe create a comparison chart and offer reviews.

But then additionally you would want at least a page totally focused on each product. These pages would be designed partly to try to get search engine traffic that is already interested in one or the other, therefore loaded with copy and keywords pertaining to each respective products."

Help with Satellite affiliate programs for total newbie Link to thread.
http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5staraffiliateprograms.com/showthread.php?p=11908#post11908

thanks for the info, Linda. I just wasn't sure if companies, such as Revenue Allies, that offer the ability to promote competing brands were the only way to go if you wanted to do so. I'm glad I know now that a webpage doesn't have to be loyal to one specific brand name. (I told y'all I don't know ANYTHING about affiliate marketing) Thanks for the advice.
Lauren

Actually in VERY rare cases, especially if a merchant provides you with a special tool (over and above regular banners) they may say you can't have other competing merchants on the same page where you use their tool. So you always need to read the merchant's rules but again above is very rare.

If you search Google for luggage for example, you'll find lots of affiliate sites that feature Irvs Luggage, Ebags and Luggage Online all on the same site. Even though they all sell the same brands - some feel it helps the consumer shop and compare and hopefully whatever choice they make you get the commission. Some affiliates of course prefer to only show one merchant or brand. But it's totally fine to have more than one usually.

MI
Back