The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

SEO Contest suggest your own rules

We could do it based on a points system for the first 10 places in each search engine:
  • 1st = 10pt
  • 2nd = 9pt
  • 3rd = 8pt
  • 4th = 7pt
  • 5th = 6pt
  • 6th = 5pt
  • 7th = 4pt
  • 8th = 3pt
  • 9th = 2pt
  • 10th = 1pt
At the end of the contest positions arte taken from all three search engines & points are added depending on the members entry so if i got

1st in Google = 10pt
7th in Yahoo! = 3pt
2nd in msn = 9pt

So i would total of 22pts for my entry.

If we cant get a script, we could possibly do it manually from the given search string at the time, screenshot the top 10 results on the search engines

Great idea, the net, after all is global and made up of many different search engines and their own theories therein. By taking into account only one of them, does not, in my opinion, give a cross section of results on the web that the public actaully see. Its a bit blinkered not to take into account that other search engines exist and that the do actually get large amounts of viewers.

Great idea but impossible to put into effect!

Who can tell if one entry is run by one or three people, i had no idea that sphere entry had 30 ppl in it. Theres just no way of telling.

Exactly. There is no real way to police a team and individual contest. Anyways, in reality, its the real world everyone is up against normally and so why not in the competition also.

Great idea but impossible to put into effect!

Who can tell if one entry is run by one or three people, i had no idea that sphere entry had 30 ppl in it. Theres just no way of telling.

But you can state in the rules that its an individual rather than a group contest if you want to exclude group.

But I have a felling people like to work in group, for example, I think Zoli will be entering the forthcoming contest with a friend.

It's difficult to judge the difference between an individual player which is helped by his friends, and a real team...

I want to say it's not a so easy way to play in a team :
But, by the past, we losed with v7ndotcom and globalwarming.
But with this contest, we win with the sphere...

It's difficult because seo contests need an organisation which would be able to win... and this is not so often...

I've forgot a point which would be nice on a new contest : The chosen words !
In france, we like to chose funny words like "stork eater" or "spationaut troglodyte" ... It's more funny to make this kind of site, because participants can draw new pictures and it makes sense ...

Last edited by a moderator:
In france, we like to chose funny words like "eater stork" or "spationaut troglodyte" ... It's more funny to make this kind of site, because you can draw new pictures

We would bear this in mind when choosing the word, the only thing is that, whatever work we come up with, if a search is done for it in Google, it should return zero results.

I suggest a keyword that is not SEO related. Because I do not know what to do with the site again when it's over. *LOL*

I liked the Global warming one the keywords were: globalwarming awareness2007 and it had zero results when the contest started. Today the site still exist. I changed the name, changed the URL, and it is still alive and is monetized with only Adsense and is surprised it does well. One month of it pays for the hosting the whole year and the domain also. So everything else is passive income. Even if it is small, I am doing nothing so it is still good.

And if the keyword is SEO related, I just have too many SEO related websites already. Too hard to maintain as they compete with each other. But then again, that is just a suggestion. You may follow it or not.

@ced: If you were the same team with sphereseo in GlobalWarming, I was still going as myself and won that contest. So teams can work sometimes it does not. Although as every SEO contest passes by, I am sure each competitor gets better every time and learns from their mistakes.

Honestly if another SEO contest comes out and the Sphere team is participating, with the v7n, globalwarming and seocontest2008 experience, you pretty know what to do already. And beating that is too tough. So maybe I might decide on teaming up as well.

Even if you put a rule that teams are not allowed, I think it will be hard to monitor that and teams will still exist.

I think if the team culture starts to become a trend, the Indonesian team will be also hard to beat I guess. With MES and Pogung teaming up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Benj for considering us as "a hard team to beat".

I think it's good if you and me create ASEAN Team with Indonesia, Phillipines, and other ASEAN countries join in :)

Well, we can create "United Nations online" too if needed :D

:thumbsup:
It's a good idea !
Benj and Mes, If you want, we could join a team called "blue seo helmets" on the next contest.
(just for fun indeed ! but... why not share some ideas from over the world ?)

:thumbsup:
It's a good idea !
Benj and Mes, If you want, we could join a team called "blue seo helmets" on the next contest.
(just for fun indeed ! but... why not share some ideas from over the world ?)

Hi Ced, thanks for your reply and offer. "Blue SEO helmets" is a cool team name :) . I guess you are thinking Black/White Hat SEO related with the team name. You change the word "black/white" to "blue" and the word "hat" to "helmet". It's cool. Ok, I wanna share my ideas as you ask.

Recently I am thinking about the children in the world and their future, inspired by the song of Michael Jackson "We are the world".
They are our next generation and I think it's our responsibility to prepare a better place and a better future for them.

I just have some ideas for keywords phrase of the next SEO contest, related with the children, humanity or maybe spirit religion.
For examples:
"Save the children",
"Better future for the children"

"Give your hands to refugees",
or "renew our inner being"

What do you think about those topics, dudes? Please let me know :)

Thanks for this suggestion, any particular reason for this suggestions?

Well firstly i dont want this community associated with spamming, remembering back to seocontest2008 wordpress did not take to kindly to seocontest2008 blogs. I think for ukww dignity sake

Also if everyone registers a brand spanking new domain, everyone will be on an equal platform.

With older domain/sites that are in existence you can be more aggressive with the link building and an older site will more likely get crawled more often.

KP

In this contest our team win with a new domain.
And i'm agree with Kp an resonate, an older domain is better in Seo, because with a new domain, a site can get down in the sandbox.
I didn't notice the sandbox in this contest, but I notice since 6 months sites getting down and up, sometimes disapear.... and I don't know why...

But, i don't like the rules of the new domain... Because it needs times, and investissements, and some newer webmasters like to try tips just with one page.
And it's funny to see a lot of participants...

@Mes : I thank yout too for your reply, I'll join you by Mp because it's not the right topic to talk about "Seo Blue Helmets" - It's a great idea I think.

My suggestion is everyone is required to register as usual, but no need to show the names of the owners of the sites in the scoreboard until the contest ends.

I believe this is just a way to avoid any early negative tactics going on against a competitor who are perceived to do well in the coming contest.

Thanks for that suggestion, it will be considered.

My suggestion is everyone is required to register as usual, but no need to show the names of the owners of the sites in the scoreboard until the contest ends.

I believe this is just a way to avoid any early negative tactics going on against a competitor who are perceived to do well in the coming contest.

banners
Back