The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

SEO Contest suggest your own rules

temi

affiliate
After SEOContest2008 ends, we may be having another contest before end of this year, I am hopping to increase the prize to $5,000. The current contest has been going smoothly, but to make future contest even smoother, I will like to hear suggestion from contestants on what they would add or subtract if they were the organisers of an SEO contest.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Along with your prize money temi maybe
every one can chip in different ways such as a month free advertising on ones site or a lifetime link on a decent pr page. Im kind of thinking like what this random contest offers The Ultimate Blog Contest with The University Kid | Thatblogsite Dot Com were a few people offer different prizes. Or is that me been too generous again? I need to become more tight with my resources

Hows about making the ground rules a bit less spammy! As in, maximise the number of times the keyword is allowed to be used rather than any excuse to spam it in again as happens with great success.

Many of us will, now understand, that the competition is a no holds barred event to get to the top but quantity over quality should not prevail as it does.
It doesnt take Einstein to add yet another paragraph based on nothing but an excuse to add yet another "seocontest2008" title and contained in the content also.

And no, this is not meant as anything like sour grapes, some of us are not used to working by such methods alone.

I have drafted the following up to know:

1. The seo contest entry domain (domain.com), domain folder (domain.com/new) or domain page (domain.com/new/page.html) must be brand new & created after the official announcement of the targeted search Keyword/Keyword phrase.
  2. The seo contest entry must contain a valid link back to the UK Webmaster World forums, the link back must not contain the rel="nofollow" attribute nor can any part of the code be changed unless prior consent by "us" the UK Webmaster World.
  3. The seo contest entry must be registered to a full name (whois), this full name provided must match the name submitted by you with your official seo contest entry. We will not accept blocked or private entry's.
  4. You may only submit one official entry in to the UK Webmaster World seo contest.
  5. You may not change your official entry that you submitted.
  6. You may not help or support each other within the seo contest, by this we mean if you withdraw your entry & wish to help another contestant out.
  7. You may not use back hat methods to gain or manipulate results.
  8. You may not use free hosting services such as blogger, wordpress, live journal. (You may use there software on your server but you may not use there free hosting services).

I quite agree with your point, there was a really really spammy entry in the last contest which I would have like to disqualify but he argued that we did not state that in our rules, we will take your suggestion seorulz, thanks veyr much.

Hows about making the ground rules a bit less spammy! As in, maximise the number of times the keyword is allowed to be used rather than any excuse to spam it in again as happens with great success.

Many of us will, now understand, that the competition is a no holds barred event to get to the top but quantity over quality should not prevail as it does.
It doesnt take Einstein to add yet another paragraph based on nothing but an excuse to add yet another "seocontest2008" title and contained in the content also.

And no, this is not meant as anything like sour grapes, some of us are not used to working by such methods alone.

Please add deadline to register at least 4-6 weeks before contest conclusion (no late registrants)

Another thought, why can the competition not be linked to say, Yahoo and MSN search also? As in, a site recieves bonus points for high postions there possibly.
OR, maybe Im just bonkers :thumbsup:

Another thought, why can the competition not be linked to say, Yahoo and MSN search also? As in, a site recieves bonus points for high postions there possibly.
OR, maybe Im just bonkers :thumbsup:

It is been considered however a script to pull results for Google, Yahoo & MSN is a bit of a **** to get hold of.

I think putting Yahoo and MSN result will be brilliant, I will see if we can find a way to pull the three results together to determine the winner, if we can find a way of working it out, we will use all three search engines to determine the winner in the next concept.

We could do it based on a points system for the first 10 places in each search engine:
  • 1st = 10pt
  • 2nd = 9pt
  • 3rd = 8pt
  • 4th = 7pt
  • 5th = 6pt
  • 6th = 5pt
  • 7th = 4pt
  • 8th = 3pt
  • 9th = 2pt
  • 10th = 1pt
At the end of the contest positions arte taken from all three search engines & points are added depending on the members entry so if i got

1st in Google = 10pt
7th in Yahoo! = 3pt
2nd in msn = 9pt

So i would total of 22pts for my entry.

If we cant get a script, we could possibly do it manually from the given search string at the time, screenshot the top 10 results on the search engines

I quite agree with this concept, if anyone can develop and application that will monitor, comput and execute the algorith below please let me know
Thanks

We could do it based on a points system for the first 10 places in each search engine:
  • 1st = 10pt
  • 2nd = 9pt
  • 3rd = 8pt
  • 4th = 7pt
  • 5th = 6pt
  • 6th = 5pt
  • 7th = 4pt
  • 8th = 3pt
  • 9th = 2pt
  • 10th = 1pt
At the end of the contest positions arte taken from all three search engines & points are added depending on the members entry so if i got

1st in Google = 10pt
7th in Yahoo! = 3pt
2nd in msn = 9pt

So i would total of 22pts for my entry.

If we cant get a script, we could possibly do it manually from the given search string at the time, screenshot the top 10 results on the search engines

I took part in several seo contests, and I please the staff to choose easy rules :
- Google (others engines are capricious, and it's difficult to juge at the end of the contest)
- all kind of domains (young contestants don't like to buy a domain for that, and this contest prove we can win with a new domain, it's not so important).
- 3 or 4 months to let us the time to build a site and a strategy.
- As well, Make the announce of the contest sooner as possible.
- Autorise 301, black hat... and all that, because it is really hard to judge what's right and what's not ! Let google make his job, and it does ! Let us protect our site against attack !

So really thank for this contest, it was a pleasure and hoping you will hold a new contest next year !

Last edited by a moderator:
To be counted from Google, Yahoo, and MSN SERP... ? Hmm, I think it looks like globalwarming seocontest2007. It's better if we have something new and unique SEO contest.

Btw, I agree with all points from Resonate. I just want to add a sentence:
"You must do your SEO contest by yourself, without Team Support".

I think it is possible for each contestant to optimize their blogs without Team support. I don't say that having a team like Sphere Team or Phinoy Team is bad, but in my opinion I think it's better and more fair if we can fight alone as SEOer. That's my opinion. Thank you.

MES,
I can see you point, perhaps there should be a team contest separately and individual contest separately.

Btw, I agree with all points from Resonate. I just want to add a sentence:
"You must do your SEO contest by yourself, without Team Support".

Great idea but impossible to put into effect!

Who can tell if one entry is run by one or three people, i had no idea that sphere entry had 30 ppl in it. Theres just no way of telling.

banners
Back