The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Sending cold emails that aren't spam

SMTPBOXES

Service Manager
Service Manager
SMTPBOXES
Some people even think that cold emails and spam emails are the same thing, but the difference is huge. If the practice is well followed you can send cold emails that convert. Here is a link to the full blog article that describe the differences.
Write me a PM if you need some help or just write it down here :D

Last edited:
Good blog post, @SMTPBOXES !

you can send cold emails that convert

The only thing I wondered about is differing laws in various countries. For example, here in Canada, it is illegal to cold email somebody now. You have to have DOI permission and keep their complete subscriber submission data.

Would a way around that be to buy a DOI list, or purchase an email blast to a DOI list, maybe?

I especially like this part, think it's great advice:
Cold emails, should look just like personal 1-on-1 emails you get from your friends and family, or specific 1-on-1 business enquiries you get from your clients and partners directly to your mailbox. Ideally, they should be plain-text emails, as simple in form as possible, including no more than just a few sentences. At the end of a cold email, your prospect should find a specific question or a request, not just a link to follow and serve themselves.

Good blog post, @SMTPBOXES !

The only thing I wondered about is differing laws in various countries. For example, here in Canada, it is illegal to cold email somebody now. You have to have DOI permission and keep their complete subscriber submission data.

Would a way around that be to buy a DOI list, or purchase an email blast to a DOI list, maybe?

I especially like this part, think it's great advice:

Thank you for your interest @azgold.
CASL Myths
Myth #5: Prospecting is now illegal.
FALSE. Sort of. Technically speaking, a cold prospecting email – one of the core tactics of any hard working sales rep – would require permission to send. It’s an electronic message intended to encourage commercial activity. And cold prospecting emails are by definition unsolicited. However, the regulations have recently be amended to clarify that the law is not intended to govern dialogue between individuals. Which seems to suggest that cold calls and cold emails sent from an individual sales rep to an individual prospect would not be covered.

Telemarketing is also exempted from the Canadian Anti-Spam legislation because it falls under the telemarketing regulations.
source: kinetixdigital.ca

That is why cold emails should look like personal 1-on-1 emails and follow all the rest practices in the blog post in order to fit into the regulations.

Generally, B2B email that is cold is tolerated if it is professional and business related --but technically it is a CAN-SPAM violation.
On which paragraph a good cold email is CAN-SPAM violation ? It makes no sense to me as CAN-SPAM is exactly CAN COLD Email, but back in the days they didn't know how to name it. Everything else would be forbidden.

define good?
It is already in the blog article.

If I didn't read the CAN-SPAM essentials and didn't know how it works I had to find another job.
The link you sent me is the 2003 version, while the CAN-SPAM was updated in 2008. The 2003 version is even looser than 2008. Re-read and hope you'll find the answers. CAN-SPAM is way looser that CALS or GDPR and you're trying to convince me the opposite ?

Note:
This competitor of ours inventor of Lemlist (cold email software) explains
at 3:14.
Turn the table --show me the LINES where the CAN-SPAM act makes exception.
No need for me to do it, here they are FTC.GOV officials -> Candid answers to CAN-SPAM questions
"I bought a list of email addresses for people likely to be interested in my niche product. If I comply with the commercial email requirements of CAN-SPAM, do I have anything to worry about?

CHRISTOPHER: The CAN-SPAM Act doesn’t require initiators of commercial email to get recipients’ consent before sending them commercial email. In other words, there is no opt-in requirement. So in general, as long as you follow the “initiator” requirements of the Act, you can send email until the recipient asks to opt out. "

I think that speaks enough for CAN-SPAM...

Last edited:
define good? Good is only when the receiver opted in for the email from the sender or agreed their email address be sold a third party for marketing purposes. This include B2B email.

Turn the table --show me the LINES where the CAN-SPAM act makes exception.
In the course of an existing business relationship or a real P2P email are the only exceptions.
https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/cases/2007/11/canspam.pdf
read the act yourself --or get a lawyer to read it and answer your questions.

it's your ass dude --
Screw YouTube and unofficial websites
Get a lawyer's opinion --I got better things to do

PUBLIC LAW 108-187--DEC. 16, 2003117 STAT. 2701the time the consent was communicated that the recipient’selectronic mail address could be transferred to such otherparty for the purpose of initiating commercial electronicmail messages.(2) COMMERCIAL ELECTRONIC MAIL MESSAGE.--(A) IN GENERAL.--The term "commercial electronic mail message" means any electronic mail message the primary propose of which is the commercial advertisement or promotion of a commercial product or service (including content on an Internet website operated for a commercial purpose).

ANY that all I have the time for

Dude?, the link I presented you is from FTC.GOV and not from just a lawyer but FTC attorney Christopher Brown.

Regardless of the law
If I get an unsolicited email is gets blocks and goes to spam
Doesn't matter if they got me email address legally
Much better to grow your list through opt-in
Provide really, really valuable and well-researched content
Then I you can sell carefully down the line

it's your ass dude --
Screw YouTube and unofficial websites
Get a lawyer's opinion --I got better things to do

PUBLIC LAW 108-187--DEC. 16, 2003117 STAT. 2701the time the consent was communicated that the recipient’selectronic mail address could be transferred to such otherparty for the purpose of initiating commercial electronicmail messages.(2) COMMERCIAL ELECTRONIC MAIL MESSAGE.--(A) IN GENERAL.--The term "commercial electronic mail message" means any electronic mail message the primary propose of which is the commercial advertisement or promotion of a commercial product or service (including content on an Internet website operated for a commercial purpose).

ANY that's all I have the time for

done reread that 'article' CAREFULLY.
FALSE. Sort of. Technically speaking, a cold prospecting email –
Tell it to the court ... got a citation from a court ruling?
I have huge amounts of professional license data with emails and/or phone numbers -- if it was legal to spam mail or robocall them ...

banners
Back