The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Ranking Confusion!

greens85

affiliate
Hi All,

I have been working on a website & optisimed it (to the best of my ability).
Firstly it ranked quite well, on page 1 of the rankings infact. However it then disapeared from the rankings altogether. I put this down to operating a reciprocal links policy, I then removed all links and resumitted to Google (which they accepted).

We then returned to page 5 of the rankings, and accepted that must be our natural position, but recently we have since disapeared off the face of Google once again (no changes have been made!).

Researching this, a number of people have suggested that a lack of fresh content could cause this to happen. However I also run a number of sites (and have done for many years) that are hardly ever updated! They remain on page 1 of the Google SERP for the target keywords, so I don't believe this is the problem.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks,
Greens85

Well, it happens all the time, even for me. My blog was on first page for many keywords and suddenly it got vanished from the page. Just keep your hard work going and avoid the unethical methods. Try to get natural links by creating unique and attractive content. May be its a part of Google algorithm. I have continued my work and now again my blog is on first page for few keywords.

Ranking confusion

You right this is a very common problem we face. Try to get some effective links. As an example social bookmark links. These are the sites Google crawlers always visits. Wait for some time let the Google crawler index the links you have generated. After few days your site will be back in it's position.
Please don't create unnecessary links otherwise your website will be over optimized. :friends:

Also, make sure that your site don't have any errors in the coding, it may be the reason for not showing your site in the results. Google don't like sites having coding errors, search engine bots are very smart they immediately notices the errors.

I think it's a bit of a mix of all suggestions. Google loves New Content! Then it says 'This isn't updated' next time it caches. Then it considers new sites as possible spam content and does what they call 'sandbox' it, moving it down in favour of other new content. Eventually it decides your content is here to stay, relevant, checks the SEO and moves it back up again. We have been having similar issues with Tea Tree Shampoo and went from p8 to nowhere, it didn't seem to get re cached for ages and finally came in today on p3.

I think it's a bit of a mix of all suggestions. Google loves New Content! Then it says 'This isn't updated' next time it caches. Then it considers new sites as possible spam content and does what they call 'sandbox' it, moving it down in favour of other new content. Eventually it decides your content is here to stay, relevant, checks the SEO and moves it back up again. We have been having similar issues with Tea Tree Shampoo and went from p8 to nowhere, it didn't seem to get re cached for ages and finally came in today on p3.

Hi,

Well, we dont know when Google will crawls a site, as yes, the good and relevant content matters allot but also the processes what we are doing and how we are doing do matters allot and another thing which is important is quality inbound links and backlinks to the site.

Thanks!!

Hi,

Well, we dont know when Google will crawls a site, as yes, the good and relevant content matters allot but also the processes what we are doing and how we are doing do matters allot and another thing which is important is quality inbound links and backlinks to the site.

Thanks!!

Absolutely. Good content first, then create great back links to it. If you are heading for fairly targeted words eg. 'chocolate shampoo' with medium competition then content and good SEO should work fine.

It's only when competing with the bigger key words such as 'Eco Friendly Products' that I've found back links of utmost importance to compete with the bigger competition sites.

No one mentioned Click-Thru-Rate (CTR) from SERPs. One of the ways Google assesses the relevance of a site for a keyphrase is to record CTRs. You may gain a high position on page 1 but if you do not get the click thru you will soon drop down SERPs in favour of sites with better CTR than yours.

CTR...erm no

This maybe true of AdWords but not of SEO. Google doesn't give any weight to clicks/response to terms, otherwise we'd all be buying click bots to click away for us all day.

FMC

I would say it is very common problem. My blog was ranking on top with some targeted keywords, it then disappeared for sometime. Even, when i type my website mydomain.com it did come up on the #1. After few days, i removed the submissions from dig and my website came again on the top. Dont know i there was problem with digg.

Regards

digg

Over digging can appear spammy to Google. Be careful with it and remember it was designed for news articles and pieces of interest, not static homepages. Digging should appear natural, so repeated diggs on similar pieces by the same user will flag up abuse with the Google bot.

Regards,
FMC

No one mentioned Click-Thru-Rate (CTR)
This is more relevant to an Alexa ranking. Link backs are very relevant to Google but SEO must come first or you need a vast amount of links to out weigh it. It is possible going by some site's I've seen in good positions but SEO is still quicker and easier than links for the initial boost.

This maybe true of AdWords but not of SEO. Google doesn't give any weight to clicks/response to terms, otherwise we'd all be buying click bots to click away for us all day.

FMC

Wrong. If a site has an unusually high CTR for a keyword, especially if it's from a limited IP range or the same visitors then Google applies penalties and the SERPs position for that keyphrase drops drammatically.

I know this, I have experimented myself. It takes months to recover from this situation.

So 'bots to click away all day' will simply do terrible damage to your SERPs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me - it's very relevant to Google SERPs. Also, can you please explain how Alexa knows what the CTRs are for Google SERPs?
:no:

The click through for Alexa by Alexa toolbar users is relevant to your ranking in their engine, not Google's. I was merely trying to compare where some issues are more important for different search engines. Just like meta keywords hold more weight on some engines than they do on google.

Just when you think you are getting used to Google, you realise you are still a million miles away. Don't forget you may have already travelled two million to get that far - that's a journey worth continuing ;)

Right, I think Green East is right. So, I would recommend you to use a CMS which is able to put some fresh products on your homepage. Something like zen-cart would be OK. This way, Google would treat your site as always up to date. :)

Have a nice day,

very useful discussion. I also have this confusion.

For adding bookmark, I found most of these websites have "Nofollow". It's harm seo. But it can help you find the target customers. what do you think??:wacko:

I don't think it has anything to do with reciprocal linking at all. New site jump in high and then drop off sharply. Just optimise your site and keep building inbound links with relevant anchor text and your site will slowly make its way up!

Check and double-check your code such as alt attribute or a misplaced <h1> tag can trigger a filter, double-check your outbound links for bad neighbourhoods.
All in all remain calm, try to stick to quality SEO practices, and the rankings should return.

banners
Back