The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Penalised directory - start afresh or repair?

Because it will pick up how many other directories are using the same listings and descriptions as you, so you can change yours to make it unique.

Ummm,
That is almost mission impossible, except you have a very high quality and very selective directory, and you need to have quality editors who are on the ball, people tend to create submission info and submit it to many directories.

if you want your directory to be taken seriously, then you have to edit every single entry that comes in. It is fairly easy, andot that time consuming NOT ;)

SERIOUSLY though, tops directories DO have unique content. I have edited on ODP, & Skaffe (I am the editor on Skaffe for the who of the UK)and you DO NOT copy and paste the titles or descriptions of sites, you write them 100% personally. I rewrite ALL submissions that come in and write those I submit personally.

Link:
Link text with an absolute minimum of descriptive text about where that link will take you and what you will find when you get there.
A collection of thexe either paid or free is nothing short of a "Link Farm"

Directory Listing:
Just look at Yaho and ODP to see what they require, complete with manual review prior to inclusion.

I doubt the success of the so called "fixing" applied to Aviva, I have seen a few web directories gone down that route over the years, they never recovered :( but Aviva could be different.
But the only think that could really help complete the recovery is to change listing policy to listing sites and adding nofollow to the links.

Temi,
Won't that make the Directory dead - I mean why will people want to pay for a listing if they are no follow and they are not giving any traffic!
I thought people submit to directories for either PR juice or for traffic?

Good point Temi, however they still show good PR. Is it possible that ODP is reaping the benefit of Human Intervention ??

I will be frank with you, Aviva, Haabaa, Alive etc etc are not directories, they are link farms.

A real directory should actually generate traffic and pass it on to the sites listed in it, it should not rely on search engines to bring traffic to it for example Yell.com
and it may or may not add nofollow to sites listed in it (Yell.com does not link directly to sites listed withing it.

A real directory should also be very selective, your site should not be listed just because you paid to be listed, for example, I once submitted a site to bussiness.com, the site was reject and my payment refunded because they are not happy with contents.

A real directory will be powered by a custom application, not the off the shelf script I use for Haabaa.com which lacks many essential function you need to run a quality directory, for example function that alerts you to a dead site withing your directory.

I can go on and on and on.....for this reason, I really do not have problem with Google PR0 my directories (link farm) I know what I need to do to create a quality directory, just done have the resources :(

I think there are lot of sympathy for Aviva etc because they spend a lot of money with us (he has bought lots of links from me in the past including from this forum), that I appreciate but if we are to be very frank and take sentiments out of things, Aviava or Haabaa or Alive etc are not what you can really call quality directory, just a customised off the self script which the owner spend a lot of money promoting :(

Temi,
Won't that make the Directory dead - I mean why will people want to pay for a listing if they are no follow and they are not giving any traffic!
I thought people submit to directories for either PR juice or for traffic?

When Google was young and less powerful, it was in awe of some sites including ODP, I think Google still kept that respect for ODP up till today. Google still import its on directory listing from ODP.

ODP of today is nothing more than a very corrupt link farm, rift with infighting. You can get a site into ODP tomorrow if you have a few hundreds to spare and know the right person.

Good point Temi, however they still show good PR. Is it possible that ODP is reaping the benefit of Human Intervention ??

Didn't know the above - thanks for that !^^

You mean to say- that you have stopped taking sites on board with Haabaa - even though it has a PR 3 - the .co.uk one!

I have not been paying attention to any of my directories at the moment, I am working on something else, but when I have time to work on directories, it will aim to create a better quality directory that the one I have at the moment.

Temi, I don't link direcly from listing pages on my directories, I link to the listing page, and that links out. My directories run from 35 to £25 a MONTH to be listed in, and they drive a LOT of traffic to the sites in them. We only seriously promote 1 of each type of business in each area, and we ensure that that page appears on the first page of google for their phrase e.g. plasterers in bristol (but don't guarantee it). We ensure that the information we publish about our listings is 100% unique This is a typical page

Anchor text link to websitehttp://www.alltwen-builders.co.uk/
Category:
Business name:
Services Provided:New Building - Roofing work tiles and slates - Grantwork - Disabled grant and private Works - Refurbishments - general Building works.
Areas covered:
Contact Name:
Telephone:
Address 1:
Address 2:
Town-city:
Photo 1:
Photo 2:
Photo 3:
Available times:Monday - Friday anytime
Description:
Full description:
Email:
Clicks:4014
--------------------------------------------
I have removed identifying information from the above, as I never disclose any of my businesses online.

All of our directories are actually yellow pages style directories (apart from some really old ones I have), and people pay me for the rankings and traffic. I doubt if ANY of my directory clients know what pagerank is, NONE of them care whether links are or are not 'nofollowed' as they don't know what that means. What they DO know is that they pay me every month for exclusive promotion, and each month they get enquiries from the site.

I guess the difference is that I see a directory as a traffic portal, others see them as a place to get link juice. If you are submitting to directories for link juice, then you need to have a mind shift. The last directory we launched which was a statement more than an attempt to make money, was Deeplylinked.com. I am no longer involved with the directory now, although I still am named as an editor on the footer.

Because they were selling pagerank.
For those new to SEo,I will tell you a little tale. :)

Way back in 2002, a chap called Bob Massa, had built up a huge network of cross linked protals, which resulted in his site searchking having a PR10.

Bob went off selling links based on PR, google found out, and pr zeroed his entire protal network, in other words, google decided that it was nothing more than a PR farm (not a link farm) it channelled PR and then sold advertising on the back of it.

Bob sued google, and LOST!

So to those who think this is new, THINK AGAIN :D Google has been fighting against selling links based on PR for ages, and if you have bought links from a post that someone has made that said " PR 6 links for sale" etc, then you can expect to be pulled into the world of bad neighbourhood link buying. You WILL be investigated, and the reason is that most people who BUY pagerank ALSO sell it!

Personally I LOVE the way Google are waging war against PR sellers/buyers. get and give links for traffic and treat everything else as a bonus. I have been saying this since 1998/99, and will go on saying it.

This is the gospel of the good SEO. LOL

Temi,

What are your thoughts about DMOZ. I don't think that directory generates any traffic for webmasters.

GKD,
DMOZ generates some traffic but its rather negligible, but perhaps its different for other people, for me the traffic is not significant.

Temi,

What are your thoughts about DMOZ. I don't think that directory generates any traffic for webmasters.

banners
Back