The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Peak Into The Mind Of A Rookie

BrandonKaws

affiliate
Currently I'm self-employed (not rich, but still able to pay my rent). I majored in social behavior and I used to be a professional Muay Thai fighter. I found out about Internet marketing like 2months ago.

I was surfing the Internet mindlessly, and found some video on YouTube about how to make money being an affiliate. I don't even know why I clicked on it. Because at the time I didn't even know what an "affiliate" was. Must have been the whole "make money" part triggered some subconscious fear of me not being able to pay my rent (click).

The video was amazing. The guy was captivating as hell as he delivered the dream of the super affiliate lifestyle. I didn't sign up to the class he was offering, because I don't make rash decisions. Instead I signed up for some classes at popular online schools. They were a lot cheaper, and I had a feeling the super affiliate lifestyle he was selling is a lot harder than he was trying to portray. I think being a professional fighter for a long time has taught me there is no easy way to greatness, and anyone telling you there is, is trying to scam you.

I want to be great at being an affiliate. It's weird I haven’t had a passion for anything since I stopped fighting, not even the business I'm running now, but I found my passion in affiliate marketing.

So far that passion has cost me $50 dollars on bingads, and a cheaper ppc network. I was trying to make money directly linking to clickbank products. So far that strategy has not worked for me. I'm using Google Adwords to generate my keywords, and some jumbo keyword tool to make sure all my keywords are exact matches. I still have not made a single conversion. I said I'm going to spend a 100$ a month trying to build up my affiliate business.

Which means I have another $50 dollars ready to be spent. I just don't know what strategy I should utilize, I'm really a fan of traffic arbitrage (direct linking), but so far it's just wasting money. I'm thinking about creating a landing page, funnel system, with an auto responder, but doing that for offers I don't know will convert seems presumptuous to me.

I'm hoping some veterans Will see this post, and share some genuine knowledge with me, or maybe even train me to be a Jedi (I love all things StarWars).

Oh, does anyone else feel that clickbank products are a gimmick?

Last edited:
Welcome

I didn't sign up to the class he was offering, because I don't make rash decisions. Instead I signed up for some classes at popular online schools.
Good Choice! The old "Look at me on my yacht sailing to xxx. I just made $xxxx on my laptop while watching the sunrise and drinking a mimosa " makes it pretty tempting to buy what they are selling when you can usually get the same info for much less.
The good news is that the lifestyle is still attainable without giving them a bunch of money.

Which means I have another $50 dollars ready to be spent. I just don't know what strategy I should utilize, I'm really a fan of traffic arbitrage (direct linking), but so far it's just wasting money. I'm thinking about creating a landing page, funnel system, with an auto responder, but doing that for offers I don't know will convert seems presumptuous to me.
Seems like you already have some great internet marketing knowledge in place

You will find great info here

Always promote what you believe in, it makes things much easier.
Like fighting training perhaps. with your background it would be an easy and natural vertical to promote.

p.s. a lot of people make good money from clickbank, I personally never understood it.

I found out about Internet marketing like 2months ago.
Welcome to the AffiliateFix @BrandonKaws , great to have you join us.

I had a feeling the super affiliate lifestyle he was selling is a lot harder than he was trying to portray. I think being a professional fighter for a long time has taught me there is no easy way to greatness, and anyone telling you there is, is trying to scam you.

Yes you have to work at this. It's a business and as long as you treat it as such, it will be rewarding. Remember that this industry has created an abundance of great futures full of success by those that really put their shoulders into it and held on to their dedication and commitment.

I just don't know what strategy I should utilize, I'm really a fan of traffic arbitrage (direct linking), but so far it's just wasting money. I'm thinking about creating a landing page, funnel system, with an auto responder, but doing that for offers I don't know will convert seems presumptuous to me.

One of the skills you will develop is selecting converting offers by spying on the industry. As well, you AM should be keeping you in the loop of whats hot at the moment.

I'm hoping some veterans Will see this post, and share some genuine knowledge with me, or maybe even train me to be a Jedi (I love all things StarWars).

Consider this entire community as your storehouse and wealth of knowledge. Being active, posting often, asking lots of questions, creating a follow along, reporting your progress, these are the ways of the Jedi. By following that path, you attract the engagement of your fellow members and they will definitely help you reach new heights with your business.

Oh, does anyone else feel that clickbank products are a gimmick?

There are valuable products as well as crap. This is true in every industry. Hell I can go to damn near any store and find value as well as crap. However, we are not in the business of deciding for someone else what's of value to them and what is not.

You are a FIX'er now and that means you have the world at your feet with IM. Here are a few suggestions:

Learn through extensive reading in this community. Select one vertical. one tracker, and one traffic source. Learn from your fellow members here to master each one of them (a couple of months). Then you can expand and replicate your successes.

As a Newbie, you need to read, study, invest, and implement. Perseverance, dedication, and taking action are the cornerstones of the success you will obtain.

Read
Read through the various areas of the forum to learn about the types of marketing available for your new business. Make a list of all the types of marketing and take some notes along the way. Then determine which area of marketing with which you will start your journey.

Do this to select an area of marketing to start, as well, do this to select a tracker, a traffic source, and to select a vertical.

Then read up on the affiliate networks and select two to begin with that will serve your needs and the types of offers you would like to promote. Put your application in and they will call you for an interview. Be professional and be prepared to answer some questions about how you will promote offers, do you have a website, are you a Newbie, etc. Please note, if you join the Dojo, we have a thread there that can offer assistance in getting accepted to some of the networks.

Study
Now that you have selected a basis to begin, read all of the threads in this forum that relate to your initial selections so that you have a rudimentary understanding of their features and benefits.

Invest
You will require some investment. A VPS server, domains, traffic, landing pages, etc. You will need a budget for daily, weekly, and monthly expenses. This will change over time and you will need to update it often so that you know exactly what your costs and earnings are.

Implement
This is where it all starts to earn. You must now begin to implement what you have established as your foundation for your business.

Here is some advice and guidance that will help you establish your initial goals:

Make sure you complete the following first.

Every business needs:

1. a plan
2. a schedule for research, learning, and execution
3. a budget.

Remember to read through our WIKI and get to know the basics as well as some of the buzz words in the industry.

I also recommend reading the following thread:

As a Newbie, What Stops You From Getting Started

Here is a set of immediate goals:

1. Get a VPS
2. Select a vertical
3. Select a tracker
4. Select a couple of networks and get your approval
5. Select a traffic source
6. Create a schedule for researching, learning (training), and working. This is a business, treat it as such!
7. Create a budget for every expense (daily, weekly, monthly)
8. Be very active in this forum by researching, asking questions, helping others when you are able.

As well, I highly recommend you join the DOJO as it is full of great tools and contributions for successful marketers. Click the banner below to learn more.

Remember This! : Nothing has to be perfect before you start. Read & study, but invest and implement at the same time. You cannot learn all of it from reading and studying. A great deal of your learning comes from implementing!

Good Luck!

T J

I just discovered I'm a tad bit special needs utilizing the quote (and all the other) features in the text box. I didn't see a way to preview post, so if this is a travesty, I'm sorry in advance.

Thanks for the encouragement @AffiliatePartner . I checked out the network at the bottom of your post. I think I might try to market a product or two if the research justifies it. Are they kind to newbies joining?

@tjtutor , Thanks a lot for your extensive post. I read it, reread it, and saved some points. This is when I attempt to use the quote marks, wish me luck.

Yes you have to work at this. It's a business and as long as you treat it as such, it will be rewarding. Remember that this industry has created an abundance of great futures full of success by those that really put their shoulders into it and held on to their dedication and commitment.

That is why I have developed such a passion for this business, even though I haven't made a dime. When I was fighting, there's this unwritten law that you get out what you put in. This business embodies the same concept, and I love that.

One of the skills you will develop is selecting converting offers by spying on the industry. As well, you AM should be keeping you in the loop of whats hot at the moment.

Now "spying" sounds like an easy thing to do, but I'm guessing it's a lot more advanced than using google adwords and picking the most relevant, highly searched terms; converting them to exact matches and then bidding on those terms in bing and other lower cost ppc networks. I plan to finish the newbie section after I post this and I’m hoping detailed spy methods are there. If not there, then they have to be in the DOJO right?

Consider this entire community as your storehouse and wealth of knowledge. Being active, posting often, asking lots of questions, creating a follow along, reporting your progress, these are the ways of the Jedi. By following that path, you attract the engagement of your fellow members and they will definitely help you reach new heights with your business.

Well said and point taken.

we are not in the business of deciding for someone else what's of value to them and what is not.

That is true, and definitely explains why I was not doing well on ClickBank - to busy judging the product on my standards, and not thinking about what others value.

Learn through extensive reading in this community. Select one vertical. one tracker, and one traffic source. Learn from your fellow members here to master each one of them (a couple of months). Then you can expand and replicate your successes.

Okay. Got it.

Then read up on the affiliate networks and select two to begin with that will serve your needs and the types of offers you would like to promote. Put your application in and they will call you for an interview. Be professional and be prepared to answer some questions about how you will promote offers, do you have a website, are you a Newbie, etc. Please note, if you join the Dojo, we have a thread there that can offer assistance in getting accepted to some of the networks.

I'm definitely contemplating joining the DOJO. I didn't do it right away because I've come across so many affiliate scam traps. I joined the warrior forum before I came here. I made one post and I was getting messages like "send me 400 dollars and we can be business partners..." When I do decide to join the DOJO, I will definitely use your link too.

Here is a set of immediate goals:

1. Get a VPS

2. Select a vertical

3. Select a tracker

4. Select a couple of networks and get your approval

5. Select a traffic source

6. Create a schedule for researching, learning (training), and working. This is a business, treat it as such!

7. Create a budget for every expense (daily, weekly, monthly)

8. Be very active in this forum by researching, asking questions, helping others when you are able.

1-1. I don't know what a VPS is at the moment (But I'm going to look it up after I finish this post).

2-1. I have to pick out my vertical.

3-1. I have a tracker, but I think I'm going to read the suggestions I've seen in this forum before deciding to stick with it or not.

4-1. Besides ClinkBank, every other network seems to want me to have a website – yet another reason why I am considering joining the DOJO. I read in the newbie section the DOJO helps out with that.

5-1. I may change it after I do my reading tonight, but at the moment I like ppc.

6-1. When I'm not doing my day job, I will be doing this.

7-1.100 dollars a month to start, but I will scale immediately once I start getting conversions.

8-1. I will be an active community member.

Hey, if you're a rookie like me and want to join the DOJO, while I'm still deciding. Use the link @tjtutor provided. Chances are by the time you have read this, I will be a DOJO member :-D.

MI
Back