The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

own adserver = adblocking issues?

mediaid

affiliate
Can someone shed some light on the difference letting the adnetwork manage our ads (e.g Exoclick directly serving gifs/video ads) VS running our own adserver and providing an iframe to the adnetwork for the zones instead.

Will this make a change for adblockers as we as little company can't compete with keeping up with the adblockers on the same level as such a big adnetwork can. Or will our ads piggyback on their solutions to combat AB as they're encapsulated in their delivery anyways?

It won't make that much difference I think. Having your own ad server or using those provided by traffic sources is going to depend on your business model. I've done both. The nice thing about letting someone else manage them is that it is one less thing to monitor.

Ad blockers have a list of recognized adserver domains they use for the purpose of blocking. Some ad blocking softwares allow for the user to add more domains as they encounter them. Some do this automatically.

Keep in mind that many sites now employ anti ad blocker technology that prevents the content of the site from being available to those using ad blockers. There are also anti anti ad blocker softwares to defeat the anti ad blockers. This is an ongoing battle. On my content sites, I simply detect the ad blockers, automatically ad their IP's to a database, and then redirect them to a page that states clearly that the use of any softwares used to defeat my advertising, or to gain access to my sites while blocking ads, is theft, is a violation of the U.S. Fair Trade Act, a violation of the U.S Fair Trade Commission, and that I actively pursue criminal prosecution of those that violate my TOS and I state all of this on the redirect page.

Here in the U.S. there are federal hearings that have been going on for a few years about how to handle this. According to laws in most democratic countries, it is simply straight forward theft. In some cases, it is also a copyright violation.

Hello TJ,

Thank you so much for taking to time to reply!
What I'm trying to understand is if there's an direct adblock different between these two setups:
Current:
Exoclick[publisher serves our ad via Exo script directly from their servers]

Proposed:
Exoclick[publisher[Exo adserver[our iframe code serving our ads from our servers]]

I'm aware of the ongoing battle and that's why I'm sure the big adnetworks have a big focus on 'viewable' impressions, and it would be a bad situation if the 'viewable impressions' drop as they display our iframe via our not-so-sophisticated adserver?

banners
Back