The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

My *children* are leaving home soon!

Graybeard

This mama Robin decided to build a nest on my porch rail --looked safe I guess ...

nest-600.jpg

Looks like they need bigger accommodations :D This is a first 30 years in this house now ...

AWESOME!

We get loads of them nesting in odd places around here too. Loads of fun to watch. That clutch of yours looks like they'll be fledging pretty quick.

The nest I see outside my window, on the neighbour's ladder (hung on the side of his garage) has some really new babies hatched. I want to go closer but I don't want to scare the mama so I just watch her out the window.

I say they're new because the mother only stopped sitting for hours at a time x days ago. Also, they aren't cheeping incessantly and haven't poked their little heads up like Graybeard's babies. I see her bending down feeding, though.

Something I thought was nice.....the dad dropped by to see his kids yesterday. I thought about offering to take a family photo for them. :D

I discovered that the mother robin goes crazy for grapes and strawberries. I happened to put a couple out for the birds and squirrels, she took them both with great relish. I'm not sure that's good for her but boy, did she enjoy them.

Graybeard, you will have literal empty nest syndrome. :rofl

That is MY side door I use daily. I come and go as I please.

When the adult Robin flies off when I come near --she is more used to my presence. She just looks at me from the driveway like --are you done! Before she used to fly off to a tree branch --abandoning her young :(

I put cut up raw meat scraps out once --that is somewhat similar to worms. Robins eat worms --meat was too tough? Neighbors cat probably ate it.

I put cut up raw meat scraps out once --that is somewhat similar to worms.
It never occurred to me to try that, don't think I will. We have coyotes and skunks around here that I'd rather not encourage. On the bright side though, I haven't had any raccoons knocking over my garbage can lately.

This robin seems to stick fairly close to home when she has to search for food. We have a pretty good size yard for worm hunting and I give the birds fresh water everyday, so I think she can find what she needs and still be within ear shot of her kids.

I'm sad to report that the babies here are no more and the mother has now abandoned the nest. Crying Face

I don't know how it happened, just know there is a nest for rent next door.

I thought our nest had a new tenant yesterday, some kind of bird I couldn't see clearly but I did see it had a white breast. Guess it didn't like the accommodation, didn't stay, just did it's preening and left. So, we still have a vacancy for some lucky bird who wants their nest to be turn-key.

banners
Back