Mozilla Firefox 1.0 is here!

Alexandru Ungur

affiliate
Mozilla Firefox 1.0 is here gents!

Go get it while it's hot ;)

"Better than Internet Explorer by leaps and bounds.†- FORBES

more reasons to use it if you still don't use it yet here:
mozilla.org/products/firefox/

I read an article over the weekend where MS said they are not afraid of FireFox which to me sounds as if the are actually worried :)

temi said:
I read an article over the weekend where MS said they are not afraid of FireFox which to me sounds as if the are actually worried :)

:) it looks like they have all the reasons to worry... 2,000,000 downloads in 2 days!! I'm a fan of Firefox, so I may be subjective when I advertise it ;) but just look here: update.mozilla.org/extensions/ besides the drowser there's a whole world of extenstion that are *actually useful* and are not spyware/adware/*ware ....
My favourite is this: update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=60&vid=645
which is *extremely* useful for developers, it has a lot of unique features that help very mucyh in developing/debugging HTML pages... (like see the page in 800x600 resolution straight from the browser without OS level display resizing, or convert GET to POST or the other way around, or outlining all kind of items (images, block level items, missing images, etc.), edit CSS, view cookie information, etc.) all in handy for quick use. And this was just one extension..... :)
And oh yeah, the google PageRank? Now works on Linux! :)

This, "Word of Mouth" or, "Viral Campaigning" is working all over the net.

clickz.com/experts/brand/buzz/article.php/3434811

This is how Google got started. In fact, I don't think they ever spent a dime to advertise their SE. Now, they're BILLIONAIRES. And they did off the backs of the Google hystariacs. Oh, and a damn good search engine also.

I'd love to see the browser market share divided amond 4-5 major players. This way, all of they browsers would get better through sheer competition.

I'm still not downloading anything yet. I want to view the internet through the browser 95% of my audience views it from.

Alexandru Ungur said:
Mozilla Firefox 1.0 is here gents!

Go get it while it's hot ;)

"Better than Internet Explorer by leaps and bounds.†- FORBES

more reasons to use it if you still don't use it yet here:
mozilla.org/products/firefox/

We'll see how long that lasts. IMO, this is the same argument you always hear between MAC lovers and PC owners. MAC lovers will go on and on forever about how stable the MAC is and how it's virtually virus free and how powerful they are, blah, blah, blah. What many of them don't seem to grasp is, if you're a gamer, forget MAC. Also, the only reason that there isn't a lot of virus' for the MAC is because virus writers aren't bored enough to infect what, 3% of overall market share?

I believe the above is the reason that Firefox is "the thing" right now and I switch between IE and Firefox. We'll see how much people are ranting about it if it ever gets nearly as popular as IE because when it does, it'll be exploited as much as IE is, count on it.

BTW, how can you tell I'm a PC lover, lol. :D

Paul_KY said:
This, "Word of Mouth" or, "Viral Campaigning" is working all over the net.

clickz.com/experts/brand/buzz/article.php/3434811

This is how Google got started. In fact, I don't think they ever spent a dime to advertise their SE. Now, they're BILLIONAIRES. And they did off the backs of the Google hystariacs. Oh, and a damn good search engine also.

I'd love to see the browser market share divided amond 4-5 major players. This way, all of they browsers would get better through sheer competition.

I'm still not downloading anything yet. I want to view the internet through the browser 95% of my audience views it from.

Indeed IE rocks, keep using it.... :) I was just in one of thos "hystaria" crises... you know...
BTW to be fair there are news about IE too:

"Reality is not always probable, or likely."
Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986); Argentine writer.

- Buffer overflow in Internet Explorer -
Oxygen3 24h-365d, by Panda Software (http://www.pandasoftware.com)

Madrid, November 4, 2004 - SecurityTracker has reported a buffer overflow
vulnerability in Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE), which could allow
arbitrary code to be run on affected computers.

This security flaw occurs because Internet Explorer does not correctly
validate certain IFRAME tag attributes. For this reason, an attacker can
create specially-crafted HTML that, when loaded on the system, would be run.
A correct combination of SRC and NAME attributes can trigger the flaw.

An exploit has been released that demonstrates and reproduces this
vulnerability, which aggravates the situation, as it helps attacks to be
carried out.

And BTW, it's called Internet not internet
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/Glossary.html

INTERNET (Upper case I)
The vast collection of interconnected networks that all use the TCP/IP protocols and that evolved from the ARPANET of the late 60’s and early 70’s. An "internet" (lower case i) is any computers connected to each other (a network), and are not part of the Internet unless the use TCP/IP protocols. An "intranet" is a private network inside a company or organization that uses the same kinds of software that you would find on the public Internet, but that is only for internal use. An intranet may be on the Internet or may simply be a network.

Well, I must say, there is a large difference between a Firefox, "hystariac" and a Firefox, "Nazi" :blue: :blue: :blue:

Why people are so jealous of Microsoft and their products, I'll never know. I mean, this was a guy who dropped out of school to pursue a dream, while his friends, family and colleagues balked. Not only did he succeed, he changed the world as we know it today. He is an icon of what America and the American dream is all about, meanwhile pouring billions in charity here and abroad.

jeal·ou·sy :deal:
Pronunciation: 'je-l&-sE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -sies
1 : a jealous disposition, attitude, or feeling
2 : zealous vigilance

Yes, I'll keep using IE while on the :censored: iNtErNeT. Like Duke said, why bore myself with the 3% of my overall market share :roll: This is, of course, coming from a business standpoint.

Posted: Nov Mon 15th 2004 9:44am java problem
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just dl the latest java but it will not work, cant even get the java test to work, any ideas.
have ff1.0

also having problems with user chrome file , tried doing it manually and also using the extension for chrome but nothing seems to work?
any clues?

Posted: Nov Mon 15th 2004 7:11am Strange connection at startup (Firefox calling home???)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi.

I'm using firefox as a test at the moment. I also tested rc2. Since the usage of FF 1.0 something strange caught my eye.
I installed FF 1.0 on several different systems with different firewalls. I have a blank page configured at startup.
Everytime I start FF my firewalls tell me that it wants to connect to strange (changing) ip's to port 80.
I took a look at these ip's but there was no web server running...

Is Firefox calling home on every startup???

This would not be very amusing...

If I block these connections at startup it doesn't affect the browsing with FF.
Can someone tell me what that means.

Thank you

john doe

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; de-DE; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041108 Firefox/1.0

Posted: Nov Mon 15th 2004 9:42am Greetings,Bill. ?? Firefox hack/virus?

Here's a weird one:

I downloaded 1.0 a few days ago, but only installed it yesterday. This was done over a 1.0pre install (over a 0.9.3, etc. etc.) I.e. no uninstall first. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

If I start a search on the page using /, but not ^F, and then if I type 'g' followed by 'r' fairly quickly, the search box is filled in as if someone else is typing at a keyboard! And what is entered is always "Greetings,Bill." (without the quotes)

When I say typing, I mean it takes about .2 seconds for each character to show up. If you type the / and then the 'g' *and then wait for a moment* before typing the 'r', then
this doesn't happen. I have not (yet) found any other character groups that trigger similar behavior.

If this was meant to be an Easter Egg, it isn't very well done and it's not particularly funny. On the other hand, it feels more like a hack/virus/??. I am running latest AVG Pro and latest Spybot with TeaTimer enabled. No indication of any *known* baddies.

Has anyone else seen this?

Peter

Here's where the TRUE Firefox Nazi folks hang out: forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=164159 :panic:

montanasoft.com
Posted: Nov Fri 12th 2004 9:04pm Memory leak?

Hi: First ... this is a great browser!! I'm very happy to find it..

But ... I think it has a bug ... I load it, and do some browsing, and next thing I know, it's using 80 MB of RAM!! Sometimes I have taskmanager open, and I can see the memory usage going up, up up. Even when firefox isn't doing anything ... just sitting still on a plain-vanilla page.

Anybody else have this problem?
[Profile] [Pri. Msg.]
Chimmer
Posted: Nov Fri 12th 2004 9:58pm

Yep, I've seen the same thing.
[Profile] [Pri. Msg.]
montanasoft.com
Posted: Nov Fri 12th 2004 10:53pm memory leak?

Ok ... does anybody know how to fix this?
[Profile] [Pri. Msg.]
shakey_snake
Posted: Nov Fri 12th 2004 11:57pm

If things this big were that easy, would't you think it'd be done?
jbart
Posted: Nov Sat 13th 2004 4:25am

Yeah I have noticed this before as well.

Sometimes if you keep firefox maximised for a while (even if you don't change the webpage) the RAM usage increases.

If you just mnimise and the maxmise the memory drops a lot.
[Profile] [Pri. Msg.]
montanasoft.com
Posted: Nov Sat 13th 2004 12:13pm

Ok: I'd like to report this to the developers. Anybody have a working link to the instructions for reporting bugs? The link at the top of this forum isn't working.
[Profile] [Pri. Msg.]
shakey_snake
Posted: Nov Sat 13th 2004 1:16pm

they are already plenty aware of it.
You are not the first ever.
Search bugzilla for mem leak, and it will be all over the place.
Same with the forum search.
They are working on it, it has been worse in past versions, it is improving. Don't worry.
jasonstepp42
Posted: Nov Mon 15th 2004 7:42am

I was playing with this last night, and was hoping to get others to do this as well.
As a test, I went to Tools -> Options -> Privacy
I set the History for 0 Days, and the cache for 1,000 K.
Once I did this, firefox 1.0 ran much smoother..

Only catch is you can't be too depended on history and caching.

Paul,

I used both IE and Firefox, as well as Opera, Netscape, Mozilla, Galeon, Links, Amaya, Konqueror, telnet and others... (oh yeah, telnet beats them all :) ) I talk from experience.

You have used IE and most probably just read about Firefox: you compare a product with whom you do have real experience with one that you have imaginary experience of...
That makes me a tech person, and you a... poet... :)

We have no place on the same thread unless we talk about poetry... :) Funny thread though...

Dream on about Myths, Foxes and Gates... and oh yeah, keep those Ctrl+Alt+Del keys close to you... you never know when the dream gets frozen and it will need a reboot...

See you on a poetry thread :D

--
There's no such thing as impossible, it's a myth, don't believe it... except... well I think it's impossible that Paul installs a Firefox to play with and start talking only about what he really experiences himself... :) hm... so maybe there are impossible things... ?

"That makes me a tech person, and you a... poet..."

I appreciate the compliment. :blue:

Now, don't you have some campaigning to do?
spreadfirefox.com

Or better yet, since your such a tech dude and all, perhaps you should get your site back ONLINE LOL, FireFox Nazi. :banana:

:)

first of all
Duke:
if you're a gamer, forget MAC. Also, the only reason that there isn't a lot of virus' for the MAC is because virus writers aren't bored enough to infect what, 3% of overall market share?

First of all Macs are not Personal Computer made for all kind of underdeveloped kids that don't do anything but games all day long. In the graphics industry a Max is better than any PC.. and almost all the major players in this industry use Macs instead of PC's
About the Mac viruses.. your version is.. let's say not true.. do you think a virus writer would not be interested in being one of the pioneers of viruses on Macs??? and this is just an example.

And what i don't get from your post:
What's the problem with Mac users.. their boxes really are more powerfull than PC-s.. but don't think they need more features than their Mac offers them. If you buy a Mac you don't want to play games all day long and scan your computer for viruses.. you want to work on it..

. We'll see how much people are ranting about it if it ever gets nearly as popular as IE because when it does, it'll be exploited as much as IE is, count on it.

Think about this: Every PC with Windows on it has already a version of Internet Explorer installed..
Let's imagine Uncle Bill forgot about including and Internet browser in his OS.. do you really think IE would be so popular now?? come on.. you can't compare this..

Paul
Why people are so jealous of Microsoft and their products, I'll never know. I mean, this was a guy who dropped out of school to pursue a dream, while his friends, family and colleagues balked. Not only did he succeed, he changed the world as we know it today. He is an icon of what America and the American dream is all about, meanwhile pouring billions in charity here and abroad.

jealous???? that was a joke right?? Those people developed an alternative to IE. and from what a lot of people are saying.. a better one. Think about what i said above.. what if IE was not distributed with Windows...???

I LOVE FIREFOX.. it's great and i will support it as much as i can :)
Cheers and sorry if i was mean.. :)

:)

... and Paul.. i must agree with Alexandru.. how can you talk about something without using it???? poetry is nice.. but not in this domain.. :)
don't get to comfortable... a new IE exploit might be on the pipe :)

"Think about this: Every PC with Windows on it has already a version of Internet Explorer installed.."

Facts are strange things, aren't they?

"Let's imagine Uncle Bill forgot about including and Internet browser in his OS.. do you really think IE would be so popular now??"

Who invented the first browser? Who invented the OS, which enabled everyday people to use computers? How many PC companies ship their PCs with a MS OS?

"you can't compare this.."

Yes I can. If our site's catered to the MAC Nazis/Alternative Browser folks, we'd have gone broke a long time ago.

People e-mail sometimes (Maybe twice a year), crying because our program isn't, "Mac Compatible", As if we were practicing discrimination lol. No, the e-mails DON'T get returned. We do however, kindly answer e-mails from customers/potential customers who have the right equipment in todays Global, E-Commerce driven economy. The smart Mac users even have a PC for, "Real World" E-Commerce.

"First of all Macs are not Personal Computer made for all kind of underdeveloped kids that don't do anything but games all day long"

That's :censored: ing uncalled for.

Can you count to TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY MILLION?

"They're not all kids, either. The largest group of gamers is 35-49 year olds, hardly the pimply faced teenagers usually portrayed as avid gamers."
http://www.clickz.com/experts/ad/lead_edge/article.php/3435241

"and Paul.. i must agree with Alexandru.. how can you talk about something without using it????"

Sorry, as I'm just not the kinda guy who is quick to click the, "Download" button every time a new, "Fad" is introduced. Kinda like that Google desktop search everyone was Gah Gahing over lol (Security Issues are now being brought to the forefront).

I'm more of a, "Research Before I Download" typa guy. And based on the negative feedback I've seen throughout the internet MSG boards today, I think I'll pass.

" if you're a gamer, forget MAC" - this what i answered to.. Mac users are probably not using their Macs for gaming.. and games are not a decisive factor in buying a computer (IMHO) :)

Sorry fot that, Cheers

novocaine said:
" if you're a gamer, forget MAC" - this what i answered to.. Mac users are probably not using their Macs for gaming.. and games are not a decisive factor in buying a computer (IMHO) :)

Sorry fot that, Cheers

Ya I know that but I was on a rant and it's hard to think when you're ranting :?

MI
Back