The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Minimum budget for testing a traffic source?

trackingdesk

I've seen quite a few questions related to the minimum budget to test a traffic source. Either you ask in the forum or you jump in the water and figure out for yourself. I don't think there is one clear answer or formula but there are a few prerequisites that might allow for quick and insightful metrics leading to good business decisions.

1. Gather info / reviews about the traffic sources - the more popular, the higher the minimum budget will be as you will be fighting for the same traffic with plenty of other media buyers

2. If you target a specific channel (entertainment/finance etc...), you must be able to ab test several offers and/or landing pages, as one offer might not perform while others can do wonder.

3. If you go RON, then rotate multiple type of offers, from multiple affiliate networks (see #2)

4. Hit a specific geo-target

5. Hit a specific traffic type - dont go display, ppv, ppc simultaneously as you might burn your budget quickly and see #1 for what is mostly recommended

6. Use a tracking software in order to get as much analyitcs data as possible so you can quickly pinpoint the good/bad traffic segments and optimize accordingly.

Well, this is a great strategy in order to test the ads and it's placement. I normally doing A/B testing and rotating by ads in order to find out which one is converting more. I think $50 is enough to test your ads.

I don't use a budget I use a time frame, which is usually a week. <---- Stupid... right? Think i'll try a budget and see how I likes it.

I don't use a budget I use a time frame, which is usually a week. <---- Stupid... right? Think i'll try a budget and see how I likes it.
not stupid as it allows you to identify if there are fluctuations based on day of the week... But I would personally suggest to use the "time" optimization as a second step.

This is actually depending on your traffic sources. If you are using Facebook ads I think $10 is enough for testing on the other hand if you are using adword then you have to spend at least $20-$30, you know adword is little bit costly. But for media buying how could you determine the minimum budget where you have to buy a ad space for a month!!!

This is actually depending on your traffic sources. If you are using Facebook ads I think $10 is enough for testing on the other hand if you are using adword then you have to spend at least $20-$30, you know adword is little bit costly. But for media buying how could you determine the minimum budget where you have to buy a ad space for a month!!!

Obviously if your minimum budget is set by the traffic source, only your negotiation skills can help you. Regardless of the minimum budget, the other points still apply.

I've never really liked the monthly flat fee as you don't get any guarantees or commitment from the traffic source on anything, beside appearing on a placement. I would only go for such placement if/when I have enough info about the site, its traffic, demographic and that its extremely targeted.

often i testing with minimum $5, if interactive not bad, increase $10 and $15.

Dear this is a very low budget to test..... Second thing it depends on the person who is testing your traffic source as there are many freelancers sitting from the countries like... Bangladesh and India and many other countries i forgot the names... who can do this job in just $5..... but it depends on their work are they professional in testing these type of stuff? are they regular testers to test all the things? how much time they take? these are all questions that arise in our minds.... but there are also some freelancers that are that much professional that will do the same thing in $30 or above.. they will take less time and quality work provided in limited time edition... so it's not just meaning of money it's about the quality of the person you are hiring or you are giving the testing job.... the more professional the person will be the more money he take and he less time he consume with quality.... i hope need not to explain more......... :)

That's a impressive guide trackingdesk. I would go with figuring out for yourself as that's the best way to learn. For every vertical and for every niche the minimum budget varies a lot. I can't know the real depth of water until they get their feet wet. I am quite sure this guide will help a lot of newbies with their common question about minimum budget to start a campaign.

or there, it seems everything is done through four steps, perhaps it would be better for me and everyone is fully detailed the better part :D

I never spend more than $5 bucks for testing. Is there any specific software you are using to track traffic sources?

banners
Back