The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Microsoft throws in the Towel

temi

affiliate
Windows dominates the PC operating system market
Microsoft has decided not to appeal against an European court order which will see sanctions enforced against the software giant.
The EU sanctions compel the world's largest software maker to introduce a stripped down version of its Windows computer operating system.

Microsoft will have to offer a version of its operating system without its own Windows Media Player pre-installed.

In December, Microsoft lost its bid to delay implementation of the sanctions.

Microsoft said the new version would be available "in the coming weeks".

"Microsoft has decided to forego its right to appeal the Court of First Instance's...ruling of 22 December, 2004," the company said in a statement.

source/full story: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4203087.stm

The decision is in favour of smaller companies but not in favour of end users.
The good thing though is the fact that it will be available to download when you scan for updates :)

"The good thing though is the fact that it will be available to download when you scan for updates"

Exactly!

When will these Mom and Pops stop crying, "That's not fair"? If their product was so good, then folks whould install it (Kinda like that Google toolbar, which is really only, "Good" for webmasters who worship the PR God). It's not MS fault for DOMINATING the PC OS market.

Must make a judge feel good to punish success. I can only imagine what they would do to jaywalkers lol. :uhoh:

I must admit that this decision really P's me off. Many simple actions on a website need a media player to run them. What NOW?

Many visitors are unable to download onto a works machine due to system restrictions, and MANY visitors to sites visit from their place of work. What has happened here is a total miscarriage of justice adjudicated on by moronic judges who know bugger all about the web.

Put simply what good is a brand new multimedia PC without a media player? None whatsoever IMO what about people who do not have web access, or have a dial up connection and will have to pay and wait god knows how long for the 14 meg download?

It was a sad day when this judgement was made IMO , and today it is sadder now they are not fighting it.

If I was Bill, I would say "Sod you Buggers", I am not paying your fine and what's more, I won't sell you EU-Ites any more software of any shape form or description. A complete MS embargo written into terms and conditions of all products "Not Licenced for use within the European Community".

Then let them grovel and back down.

I am in Cornwall by the way which is illegally occupied by EU Beaurocrats aided and abetted by a puppet Government whose strings are alternatively pulled by Brussels and Washington.

smeagain said:
If I was Bill, I would say "Sod you Buggers", I am not paying your fine and what's more, I won't sell you EU-Ites any more software of any shape form or description. A complete MS embargo written into terms and conditions of all products "Not Licenced for use within the European Community".
Get real mate!!!
I guess we both now know why you are not Bill. No good business man will ignore a thriving market be it an irritating one.
I really don't know what the EU legislators are thinking about but with my miopic eye I think I still see better than them. They are just getting on the Free this and that band waggon.
Despite the MS bundles Linux seem to be doing well.

Why do Light Hearted Comments attract replies like that.

I don't pretend to be in the same league as Bill but I think if Business and Commerce throughout the EU were at risk of loosing access to MS products, the decission makers wouldn't know what hit them. The result would be political lobbying like never seen before in Europe.

So I don't intend to "Get real mate " I will take a light hearted view of day to day annoyances and if that becomes a day to day annoyance for you "Lanre" you don't have to read my posts.

Calm Down Mate,
This is not about you nor me. We are here discussing a business matter if any of my comments has offended you, it wasn't intentional. I am not annoyed or offended by any thing you have earlier said but I just see no business sense in boycotting a golden goose.
I can see the chaotic result of what you postulated.
Anyway I believe I am just expressing my opinion too and although we are both on MS side we are view things from a different perspective.

The point I was trying to make is that EU Business and Commerce need MS products and would soon pressurise Brussels into playing the game and lift its objections.
Thus very swiftly MS would resume trading with the EU but on ITS TERMS.

MI
Back