The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Mentors

Jessi

affiliate
Have any of you ever had a blogging, forum, or marketing mentor before?

If so, how did you find them? Did they offer to mentor you or did you reach out to them? How have they helped you over the years?

No mentors here, I learned what I know through trial and error since the late 90's, but I have "followed" a few influential people and soaked up their ideas so that I could test those too.

John Chow and Darren Rowse come to mind, John is a successful blogger and Darren is a successful guide who builds sites the way he says they should be built. Both have done really well for themselves.

I haven't hard a mentor for my online activities. There are a few people who have influenced by internet marketing activities. One of the best advice I got about internet marketing is to study what the successful internet marketer do. I don't buy their products, but I study them.

Ditto, that's why I mentioned John Chow, he does the same thing.

The title of his site says it all, "I make money online by telling people how much money I make online".

Self promotion - figuring out what works and what doesn't is priceless.

I have a marketing idol. I follow his marketing tips in Twitter. His Twitter ID is josiahgo. He is dubbed as the Marketing Guru in the Philippines.

There is one forum owner that I regularly take advice from so they mentor me a little, but most of what I learned is self taught.

I'd suggest not focusing on a "mentor", but rather focus on creating a circle of influence. I've had a mentor and been a mentor. I can tell you that I've had the most success when I've found 4-5 people of the same mindset and we pushed each other and shared our experiences, both success and failures, with each other. Forums like this one are a great place to start out! :)

I did not have a mentor, but I have mentored people to obtain referrals. Generally learning things by yourself is a lot better than having someone teach you. Mentoring can be helpful but in terms of internet marketing, they're probably gaining more than you are.

We are a team of 3 internet marketers. We are childhood friends, living in different cities presently. We reunited after a long gap at a restaurant about 6 years ago, and our IM team was formed then. One of us had more experience and he suggested some links and ebooks, and from those we got initiated in internet marketing. We began with articles writing and database programming, and whatever online jobs we could get from freelancing market places on the net. In short, we mentored each other with the help of Google and ebooks!

No mentor here either. I have tried to find one and created a specific thread at TheAdminzone to ask for one... Someone offered to be my "mentor", but it ended up he just wanted me to buy his service. So nothing comes free.

I've also hired a few tech admins... although I tried to learn not just to hand out the tasks, none of them is willing to do the work and teach me at the same time.

Basically people don't feel they need to waste time on strangers they found on the internet... It's hard if you don't have a real friend expert on the subject.

I wouldn't call them mentors, but I had a lot of friends online that were interested in blogging as well and we always talked about our ventures and shared ideas. I just met most of them at chatrooms and the amount of knowledge I've gained from them is invaluable. I just hope that I was able to impart an equally significant amount of knowledge to them as well, since most of us rarely have time to blog nowadays, let alone talk about it. I still keep in touch with them, but we've all moved on to different ventures.

I actually seeked out a mentor when I first got into IM a while back. I'd heard of Chris Farrell and his program, then decided to take a leap of faith with nothing to lose. It turns out he really knew his stuff, and I did my best to implement everything relevant to the goal I wanted to reach. I still take what I learned with me to this day and I would recommend that if you don't have a mentor, find someone with a good reputation to lead you along. You'll definitely find success much more quickly and fall into less pits.

Not particularly a mentor, as such.
I just look at people that are successful, and try to learn what I can from them, most often indirectly.
I'll get on their emailing list, study what they are doing, and try to implement anything that fits in with what I am already doing.

This is something I'm seriously considering. Sometimes you just need that someone else there to if not teach new stuff but give you that extra kick in the butt to keep you motivated and on the right tracks. Only problem is, it's not cheap to hire a mentor so it's best to make sure you're absolutely ready and know what you want to get as much value from your mentoring as much as possible.

Well if its meaned by like java mentor because i've had one of them i payed around $5 per lesson off him he was really good but i really already knew about most of the stuff he taught me i found him on thetechgame he pmed asking if i needed help.

I have a marketing mentor. I was searching online how to make money, and knew personally it would be 100 times faster to learn from an expert then learn it all on my own. I searched forums, and found a certain membership site that kept popping up that did not have 1 bad thing to say about it.

I am still apart of this membership site, and am very grateful for it.

Currently without a mentor or even a "circle of influence", as rodies mentioned. To say I could use them would
probably be an understatement. I am working on learning all I can from those who are successful, of course it's
important to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Unfortunately I don't have one but I'm open to it if anyone is willing :)
As for the circle of influence, I think this forum is a great base for us, we can share our experiences and tips with each other.

I usually do a lot of research online, though I wouldn't say someone is my mentor. If anything, the invisible hand is my mentor? What I mean by that is, if I see something that is hot, I'm probably going to find a way to make it applicable to short term goals and create a quick revenue stream from it. There are plenty of sites that will let you promote their products.

banners
Back