The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

just starting off....done a ton of reading, still kind of overwhelmed...

khay

affiliate
  • Hey I am looking into ways to make some income...I am a mom of 3 and homeschool so my only option really is through the Internet. I've looked into dropshipping... selling on ebay.... I'm gonna be taking a workshop on product development but affiliate marketing seems to be the most logical way to start working on generating an income stream....

I did the starter course on wealthy affiliates and learned a bit...I am not sure I want to pay for more though... has anyone here done that and how did it go?

I've chosen a niche...sort of, it's a little broad but I think I can make it work.... basically child learning and creativity tools...diy ' s, benefits of different tactics...and endorsing products in the niche... (building products, science experiment products, playground products, etc....) I kind of want to do one page for each subject (I'm working on building content for the building products, ideas, activities page atm) .... is this too broad ?
How much content do you need before you start trying to generate traffic ? How do you determine if you have quality content in the first place ?​

Er...I'm sure I posted this in the newbie section.... thought that was where it belonged...
Hey @khay, I moved your thread from the Newbie Helpdesk to the Introductions, since here it will be read by more widely diversified members.

Firstly, welcome to AffiliateFix, and I recommend you immediately the next half ton of reading :) with K's tutorials What is Affiliate Marketing? (START HERE) | Affiliate Marketing Forum | AffiliateFix.

Your following questions please post then in the "General Affiliate Marketing" Forums, because they are more specific and chances are you'll get very good advices by one of the qualified members.

Have fun on AffiliateFix ;)

Hey I am looking into ways to make some income...I am a mom of 3 and homeschool so my only option really is through the Internet. I've looked into dropshipping... selling on ebay.... I'm gonna be taking a workshop on product development but affiliate marketing seems to be the most logical way to start working on generating an income stream....
I did the starter course on wealthy affiliates and learned a bit...I am not sure I want to pay for more though... has anyone here done that and how did it go?

I've chosen a niche...sort of, it's a little broad but I think I can make it work.... basically child learning and creativity tools...diy ' s, benefits of different tactics...and endorsing products in the niche... (building products, science experiment products, playground products, etc....) I kind of want to do one page for each subject (I'm working on building content for the building products, ideas, activities page atm) .... is this too broad ?
How much content do you need before you start trying to generate traffic ? How do you determine if you have quality content in the first place ?​

Okay, so I think I can help you get this sorted out to some degree.

First of all, welcome to Affiliate Fix!

I can see why you wanted it in the Newbies Helpdesk. Let me help you be a bit more constructive.

So far you have brought up the topics of drop shipping, Amazon, product development, affiliate marketing while considering what you call a "logical way to start working on and generating an income stream".

You started Wealthy Affiliates, but you are giving it up. You've chosen a niche "sort of". You "kind of want to do one page for each subject".

There is a pattern there that I am trying to relate to you, it's no confidence and it is the result of no plan. I understand you are in need of making something happen, but you need to understand that it is very important for you to take on a more striking and determined demeanor and posture on what you will do to build an online business. You cannot think with words like "kind of", or "sort of", and you cannot shift gears thinking the grass is greener. You need to determine a solid, written plan of what you will master first, this is an absolute.

The patterns you are expressing and demonstrating are typical and frequent among Newbies. It's our job as fellow Fixer's to help you get out of the mindset you have now and get you to a point of understanding a basic element for success with your initial efforts. It is necessary, an absolute necessity, for you to make a solid decision on one singular project and path as a Newbie in order for your learning curve to take root and give you the skills to move around the "internet marketing environments". If you ignore this, you will continue on in an infinite loop of jumping the fences to green pastures.

Now, as for your efforts with a content site, content marketing is a method of creating and distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to gain a well defined audience with the goal of generating profitable consumer actions. Content marketing requires exceptional research and writing skills in order to provide frequently posted (daily & weekly) high quality content. Content sites are not for the "faint of heart". They require a great deal of commitment and dedication.

Content sites are very dear to me. I have been developing content sites for many years (14) and I can tell you that if you expect any quick income from this part of the industry as a Newbie, you may want to take on something less demanding in the beginning. I don't want to discourage you, I want to prepare you. You can do it, however, it is not a part of the industry with quick returns, you have to build up a following as an authority of the sites field of interest and that acknowledgement of being an authority comes over time from your research, writing, and delivery.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Be active, ask loads of questions, take action, and be committed. That's how it gets done!

Use this forum as a mentor. It's full of members at every level of experience which makes for many balanced perspectives for a Newbie to learn from. Take the time to read through the forums here and see for yourself that the Newbies achieving success have actually dedicated themselves to success in this industry and reaping the rewards by following the advice of fellow AffiliateFix members, being dedicated to success, putting the time in, and making the necessary investments. You cannot shortcut the learning curve. It goes slower for some and it goes faster for others. Everyone has their own intellectual absorption rates, skill development pace, commitment level, and budgets.

You are a FIX'er now and that means you have the world at your feet with IM. Here are a few suggestions:

Read and learn through extensive reading in this community. Select one vertical. one tracker, and one traffic source. Learn from your fellow members here to master each one of them (a couple of months). Then you can expand and replicate your successes.

As a Newbie, you need to read, study, invest, and implement. Perseverance, dedication, and taking action are the cornerstones of the success you will obtain.

Read
Read through the various areas of the forum to learn about the types of marketing available for your new business. Make a list of all the types of marketing and take some notes along the way. Then determine which area of marketing with which you will start your journey.

Do this to select an area of marketing to start, as well, do this to select a tracker, a traffic source, and to select a vertical.

Then read up on the affiliate networks and select two to begin with that will serve your needs and the types of offers you would like to promote. Put your application in and they will call you for an interview. Be professional and be prepared to answer some questions about how you will promote offers, do you have a website, are you a Newbie, etc. Please note, if you join the Dojo, we have a thread there that can offer assistance in getting accepted to some of the networks.

Study
Now that you have selected a basis to begin, read all of the threads in this forum that relate to your initial selections so that you have a rudimentary understanding of their features and benefits.

Invest
You will require some investment. A VPS server, domains, traffic, landing pages, etc. You will need a budget for daily, weekly, and monthly expenses. This will change over time and you will need to update it often so that you know exactly what your costs and earnings are.

Implement
This is where it all starts to earn. You must now begin to implement what you have established as your foundation for your business.

Here is some advice and guidance that will help you establish your initial goals:

Make sure you complete the following first.

Every business needs:

1. a plan
2. a schedule for research, learning, and execution
3. a budget.

Remember to read through our WIKI and get to know the basics as well as some of the buzz words in the industry.

I also recommend reading the following thread:

As a Newbie, What Stops You From Getting Started

Here is a set of immediate goals:

1. Get a VPS
2. Select a vertical
3. Select a tracker
4. Select a couple of networks and get your approval
5. Select a traffic source
6. Create a schedule for researching, learning (training), and working. This is a business, treat it as such!
7. Create a budget for every expense (daily, weekly, monthly)
8. Be very active in this forum by researching, asking questions, helping others when you are able.

As well, I highly recommend you join the DOJO as it is full of great tools and contributions for successful marketers. Click the banner below to learn more.

Remember This! : Nothing has to be perfect before you start. Read & study, but invest and implement at the same time. You cannot learn all of it from reading and studying. A great deal of your learning comes from implementing!

Good Luck!

T J

Last edited:
  • Hey I am looking into ways to make some income...I am a mom of 3 and homeschool so my only option really is through the Internet. I've looked into dropshipping... selling on ebay.... I'm gonna be taking a workshop on product development but affiliate marketing seems to be the most logical way to start working on generating an income stream....

You appear to be on the right track - representing products and services with which you identify and are comfortable to recommend to others. Generally a product or service solves a problem so if you tell your own story about how it solved your problem readers will appreciate your recommendation. Try it and see what happens then keep tweaking where and when you can. All the very best!

Thank you for the input....I've been absorbing it for the last couple days. TJ you are definitely right that I lack confidence in my ability to generate an online income....it's one reason why I keep jumping around from topic to topic. I don't want to waste my time in something that doesn't have the potential to become a stream of income....or one I find I'm not capable of....I am not sure how to increase that confidence until I've had even a small success though.
This really made me think because we are "unschoolers" meaning we allow/encourage/guide our children to follow their interests when it comes to learning and education... and our whole goal with that is to enable them to follow their passions and become experts in their chosen fields, without the pollution of the confusion of being pushed to do things that do not interest them....to be able to create their lives how they want them.... to be able to avoid the 9-5 job unless that is what they want to pursue... to grow up with the confidence that they can do anything they set their minds to.

And here I grew up in the school system..... with the mindset that I need to pursue post secondary education, earn degrees, to be able to work a 9-5 that pays well and succeed in life. So my thoughts when it comes to online income are muddled with uncertainty..... I was looking into affiliate marketing 4 years ago, and I'm kicking myself now because I feel like if I had stuck with it and pushed forward....i could be generating a decent income right now. But I didn't. And I dont want to be thinking this same thing another 4 years from now. I didn't pursue it then because it appeared too confusing.... I didn't think I could learn the ropes... but anyone can learn.. if they care enough.

I could do well with a content site if I had the right niche for me.....writing has always been my strongest point.... I do realize it can take a long time to start making money off it though...I am going to look into what other methods can be used to start off.

I'm looking to invest as little money as I can right now.... I don't currently have an income and so I can't just start throwing money around without being fairly certain I can turn it into a return.
For the record.... I didn't "quit" wealthy affiliates, I am just stuck on whether more training is worth paying for or not. I see this forum is somewhat similar,but it charges a one time fee as opposed to a monthly fee. Hmmm.
Again, thanks for the input and constructive criticism, it is much appreciated !

MI
Back