The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

If a user to a WordPress blog decides to delete his/her account...

Xarzu

affiliate
If a user to a WordPress blog decides to delete his/her account. How do I go about providing this functionality to him/her?

What would be especially useful is if I got a notice that this happened as well. Perhaps in the form of an email to me.

I am not sure if this is a plug-in issue or not.

So they are posting their own blog entries on WordPress tied to your BBPress forum?

If so, it's up to you how you want to handle account deletion requests (a) in general and (b) in specific cases. For example, on most forums, ownership of a post falls to the forum after posting, much like a letter to the editor, so without a compelling reason posts are not deleted. However, personally, I examine all requests as to reason for deletions and make decisions based on individual circumstances (e.g., privacy issues). The problem with allowing deletions is that it can seriously interrupt the flow of threads and turn threads in disjointed conversations that make no sense.

Sometimes, you can get around this to some extent if your software allows you to delete an account and turn all posts associated with that account into "Gusst" posts.

I don't use a linked blog yet but I would think that the same considerations would apply. If the blog posts are standalone posts with no comments of any real import, just delete them, depending on how many there are.

I just realized you are asking about providing that option to users. Personally, I would not allow users to make that decision because it can create havoc with your forum. Rather, my recommendation would be to have them contact you or another administrator or a moderator for a decision.

So they are posting their own blog entries on WordPress tied to your BBPress forum?
I think we need to be clear about terms. The web site is set up such that people cannot simply post comments to a blog without registering. Once hey register, they can post comments on the blog and they can make entries in the bbpress forum.

I just realized you are asking about providing that option to users. Personally, I would not allow users to make that decision because it can create havoc with your forum. Rather, my recommendation would be to have them contact you or another administrator or a moderator for a decision.

The forum/blog is unique. I need to proved the ability for them to cancel their account. It would be nice to have such a button.

This might be what I need:
h t t p : / / w o r d p r e s s . o r g / e x t e n d / p l u g i n s / u s e r - s e l f - d e l e t e / i n s t a l l a t i o n /

banners
Back