The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Tanay Kumar Das

Don't go by seeing the price of the products you would be selling as an affiliate to choose your niche. First of all focus on your passion or knowledge. A niche in which you are knowledgeable is bound to be more easy for you to succeed. Create a blog or website , fill it with fresh quality content , do a little bit of KW research then you are ready to fly.

Do you actually believe that? :D
  • Where is your market?
  • Who are the personas?
  • Do they want what you sell?
  • Do they have the money to buy it?
If you know what you are selling that will definitely help but you have to know you can reach the market that will buy it --ALWAYS!

3 Ways to Choose a Niche

If you’re familiar with marketing, you’ve probably heard the term ‘niche’ before. It refers to a particular segment of people with particular interests. For example, here at Leaving Work Behind, our niche is freelancing and all it entails. Let’s go over some tips to help you pick yours.

1. Find Inspiration in Your Hobbies

The more you enjoy something, the more fun it is to write about.
You’re most likely to enjoy building an affiliate site in a niche you already enjoy, which makes your hobbies a good place to start. For example, I love cooking so I might consider building an affiliate blog promoting cookware.

The great thing about using a hobby for your niche is your existing familiarity with the topic. This means you’ll spend less time doing research, which makes the writing process less stressful. Trust me, if you pick a niche that you don’t enjoy on some level, the work will be a chore. I learned that lesson when I tried to write dozens of articles about shoes. Never again.

If choosing a hobby sounds like the right approach for you, let’s go over a few simple steps to get you started:

Make a list of your hobbies. Think long and hard to answer this question: Which would you most enjoy writing about?
Next up, look for affiliate programs for your chosen hobbies. Which has the most earning potential?
Once you have a final list of hobbies with potential affiliate programs, do market research to see whether there is enough interest to warrant the effort.
Any niche you choose should have a decent built-in audience. One good way to find out if there is a potential audience is by seeking out other big sites in your niche. If there’s competition, the topic is probably worth your time.

2. Look for Fields With Little Competition

Less-known niches have smaller audiences but they’re easier to rank for.
As you can imagine, not all niches have the same level of appeal. For example, my cooking website could be a success if I chose to focus on Italian cuisine, but recipes featuring raw eggs would not be appetizing (don’t try that at home).

On the other hand, the more appealing your niche is, the harder it is to break into. If you go too competitive, you’ll never carve out your space. This is why I abandoned my shoe niche! To continue our cooking example, a quick Google search tells me there are thousands of cooking blogs out there. I would need to identify a more specific cooking niche to stand out. It’s also easier to find your audience if you write for a niche that’s not so well-known. That way, you can rise through the ranks faster with less effort.

The key to this method is identifying niches with little competition but enough traffic to make them worth your while. Here’s what works for me:

Make a list of niches you think are good candidates write down search terms related to them.
Use keyword research tools such as Google’s Keyword Planner to take those queries and find out their search volume.
Look for keywords in the 2,000 to 5,000 range of searches per month. I find these are often good candidates with low competition.
Keep in mind you’ll want to target multiple of these keywords on your website. After all, you want to maximize traffic by expanding your audience as much as possible!

3. Target a Niche With Depth

The more extensive your niche, the more topics you’ll have to write about.
Targeting a niche with little competition isn’t the only way to go. In fact, sometimes the smart move is to go for fields with as much depth as possible. That way, you’ll always have new topics and ideas to write about.

The more content you can produce, the more keywords you can rank for. Sure, it’ll probably be harder to break into the top search results for a popular niche, but the payoff can be much better. The steps, in this case, are quite simple:

Make a list of niches with plenty of depth, such as cooking, or exercising.
Narrow down your choices until you find a niche you feel comfortable writing and researching about.
For best results, you’ll want to consider going for a niche with depth that you enjoy. If one of your hobbies matches this description, you may have just hit the mother load.

However, do keep in mind affiliate sites aren’t a way to make money overnight. Regardless of your niche, you’re unlikely to see significant income until you have plenty of content. The more competitive your niche, the harder those first months will be, so keep your chin up!

Can I go against this and say ignore your hobbies and focus on what makes you money right now.

Case in point: a few years ago I was bored with lead generation so I let it run the background making me money while I started a new project that excited me, a blog advertising things that had been seen on TV or in the movies, eg James Bond's watch.

This blog took hours and hours of writing and finding affiliate links. The commission I earned was around £500 per month. Lead generation was making me around £30k/month passively.

I should have ditched the blog earlier and spent all of those hours growing the lead gen income to £50-100k/month.

Find a niche that makes money, and then make hay while the sun shines.

banners
Back