espmartin

affiliate
I have read pretty bad language on many blogs, but I'm wondering if there
is a trend within the big player blogs/websites that allow four letter
words and such within their content. I wouldn't do it on my sites (moral
choice), but wanted to know if you fellow UKWW members have noticed it as
well, and if you allow a certain amount on your sites via your own posts,
or within user comments?

Yup among the big players, I have noticed an increase when it comes to bad language. I don't personally have a problem with this - it's only words.

Generally, I wouldn't swear in a blog post, it just seems more professional that way. However, if you read my latest blog post, it has got bad language but that is purely to do with it being about naughty car number plates. I don't make a habit of swearing - honest! :D

David

This seems to be toned down now. In order to appeal to all demographics, I police this on my sites where users interaction is encouraged.

I've noticed this on blogs that target young males. They don't mind the foul language. However using some of these words could get your site filtered from search results which means you'd be losing traffic [from search engines]. This is why I'd never use foul language in content I create.

Personally, I don't have a problem with foul language for blogs that are informal. But if the blog is catering more to families, children and other professional themes, I don't think foul language would fit into that. Again, it's a matter of choice and professionalism. Some blogs, like personal blogs or rant blogs, do okay with such language. But for blogs that have minors in the audience, it would be better to steer clear of such language.

MI
Back