“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Hostgator still as good as before?

Jstmore

Service Manager
Service Manager
Marketplace Seller
Jstmore v0.43
Hey guys,

When I started out in Affiliate marketing (about July 2016 I think) I went for godaddy. This didn't last long.
Maybe just a personal opinion but I couldn't handle the interface and many other issues.
Then I went for bluehost and actually quite enjoyed it.
However I always stuck (and still am using) hostgator.
I had a bit of a horror story at one point with them where my site somehow crashed and I asked the support to help me retrieve the backup (meaning I would have only lost a single post) and that's where the mess began.

Not only did they charge me money to do so, they also only retrieved half of my entire work for some reason.
After a lot of back and forth I just accepted the small defeat and continued working on my site. A few weeks later I noticed that I didn't have SSL integration so I wanted to upgrade that as well. Of course they charged me another amount and since then every minor change just started piling up.

As I sold all of my sites a few months ago due to work, I closed my account with them. My question is, if I start a new site, is there any point going with them? I read a lot of reviews and complaints about hostgator being cheap in the beginning but piling up with hidden costs once you want to do anything other than host your domain with them.

I think HG only does backups once a week, or so I read once when I had my hosting with them a couple of years ago. And that was before they were bought out and even then, they apparently didn't like to supply them.

There are plugins that allow you to save backups of your site, if you're using WordPress. Some of them are free but have limitations.

Can you download your files/backup?

This was a past incident and yea I was able to download the backup they provided but it only contained about 2/3 of the work I had done on that site unfortunately.

I suggest if you not sure about one of the hosting company services which is good or bad, you can try Google search about their latest review from some hosting expert or review and feedback that given by their own client. :)

I used to be a Hostgator user, for 3 or 4 years I guess, loved it until they we're purchased/acquired by EIG.
Since then, they have frequent downtimes (7 days on my case), and live chat is unresponsive. Well, 7 days straight of downtime is too much for me, so I decided to migrate to a new host and asked a refund for my remaining number of months (as I purchased annual plan). Their quality of service drops a lot after it was acquired by EIG.

Then I transferred all my websites to Siteground. It's pricey but their servers are very secure, fast and most of all, customer service is superb. Customer reps are very knowledgeable on their field of expertise. They even help me fix a minor bug on my website, which is to say, no longer a hosting issue.

But as mentioned above, its pricey. After 2 years of using Siteground, I migrated to Namecheap hosting. It's cheap, not as fast as Siteground though, but I manage to speed up my sites and increase security by using Cloudflare free. Setup was not as easy as setting it up with Siteground though, it was all click and click on Siteground while on Namecheap, it has to be setup manually. I learned a lot from it though.

Their quality of service drops a lot after it was acquired by EIG.

I've heard that.

I used HG for a few years, too before switching to another company with awesome customer support. I gave up my site and domain in October, after six years, so right now I'm not using hosting but I'm considering looking at using AWS when the time comes I want to pick it up again.

Hi. Happy new year in advance:)).I searched a lot on internet when I want to bought hosting .Since 2017 I have used bluehost. It make me satisfy.because speed performance is good. And it has realy easy user friendly interface for beginners.

banners
Back