The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Hammer May Drop On Social Media

Graybeard

USA only but the EU will be putting on pressure too ...
[Biden's] executive order also calls on the FTC to craft new rules on Big Tech's data collection and user surveillance practices, and asks the agency to prohibit certain unfair methods of competition on internet marketplaces.

The order could provide some relief to small and medium-sized businesses that have complained of the allegedly crippling grip of tech firms such as Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google over digital markets.

Biden's executive order doesn't impose its will on Big Tech companies unilaterally, and instead frequently calls on independent agencies to take action. ...

One thing they have not considered is that they are trying to burn down a multi-billion dollar industry, put millions out of work, and restricting businesses branding and sales opportunities. They are being very short sighted about the entire scenario by only looking at the entirety of the one perspective. This won't stop with Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google. It will grow from there! It will reach beyond them to smaller and smaller businesses over time.

I don't disagree with all of their concerns, but they are not going to force these giants without a fight from those that use their services. One of my big concerns is the reduction of demographics choices I currently have within FB and Google. Awesome actionable information that will become reduced if Biden were to get all he wants in this effort.

The government is looking to virtually shoot the businesses of the world in the heart with many of the proposed restrictions on data collection. They should be more focused on the security of the information rather than restricting it..

Well, truth is the digital 'fingerprint' of consumer behavior on the internet has become abused and overtly obnoxious --even when tokenized. The redundant remarketing using personal preferences is what caused this whole issue. Just because you can do something doesn't make it desirable.

Years ago, I used Google search to find a magnifying work lamp. After that I had ads following me around for weeks related to that search --that when I began to use ad blockers. If you look for butt-itch cream in search to you want ads for 'anal' stuff following you around?

So, we are extending the same protections to private internet businesses --some have reached the status of utilities with regard to privacy law. So, the ads will cost less if you have to advertise your "butt-itch cream" to a more generalized audience. It doesn't seem they are after general GPS geo-fenced advertising for more local audiences --or geo-targeting in general.

Advertising is necessary revenue to provide free services --most people get that. Would you pay $5 a month to belong to Facebook :D
Social media apis being weaponized towards political ends started a lot of this. Politicians feel that, for some twisted reason, that they should have free access to a social media soap-box. One man's propaganda is another man's truth.

Now let's do the government's covert data gathering from the internet and all of the live surveillance cameras. What's worse a police state or a snoop state?

I really don't have that big of an issue with Google, Amazon or Facebook having a dominant market position because they offered the public a better value proposition but their buying out any potential competitors by commercial coercion crosses in to the area of antitrust laws.

Amazon just did a better Walmart. Little fish kept nibbling on big fish until he got big. Google did the same to Yahoo.

There is a point when you can become too successful and will attract the government's political attention as a cause popular with the general public. This can work with nationalism and xenophobia too.

It has become like a codependent environment, if they stop collecting data, I wonder how it will effect targeting for advertisers. Thoughts?

banners
Back