Goodbye Google Adwords Sidebar

Certified

T J Tutor

GM
Administrator
Certified Vendor
Dojo Master
AffKit
Google has been experimenting and working on changing their Adwords sidebar since 2010, a recent change by Google is that they no longer make their sidebar available for Adwords.

The future of the sidebar is now for Product Ad Listings and Knowledge Panels. Our Adwords ads are now strictly relegated to the top four spots of the search results and to the bottom three spots.

In the first top spot, usually, they are clumping PLA's into smaller spaces so they can contain as many as five ads into a single line. When it comes to some of us depending on a reasonable space for an ad, it seems our options are all but gone unless we are willing to accept placements below the fold and at the bottom of the page.

This is going to create an explosive click cost war among the elite deep pockets for any spots at the top. Many of us are not going to find ourselves in very favorable positions unless we are prepared to meet the madding crowds that are extremely diligent and capable with that platform.

Have you been re-assessing your Adwords campaigns?

Last edited:
I don't use AdWords but I find that interesting, @T J Tutor

Scratching my head about G squeezing out a segment of advertisers who must provide them with an awful lot of income but I guess a diverse, mega rich company like that won't be hurt much by doing so.

Still, it sucks.

The sidebar will be back soon, full of product offers with images.

Following that, my prediction is the local business listing 3 pack will become paid ads... UGH

banners
Back