The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Going Direct or Through Network?

CStocker

What is all your opinions on a merchant setting up directly with the affiliate compared to going through a CJ, GAN, or SAS? Sometimes the flat CPR's can be lower going direct through the affiliate, but is the tracking just as good? I've just been hearing this more and more lately, with a lot of affiliates wanting the merchant to be set up direct with them. Whats the benefits and also the disadvantages involved in this?

Thanks.

Hi CStocker and welcome.

Ultimately I think merchants should do both! That is if they have or plan to have a pretty big program and are committed to growing it. Some affiliates prefer networks and some prefer Indies.

IDEAL STRATEGY - When I do recruiting I like to be about to say:

"The XYZ affiliate program offers you a choice! Join here for the convenience of a network or here join our in-house program for higher payouts and longer cookies.

If a merchant only had an in-house program some affiliate won't join. Perceived downside to in-house programs - possible poor tracking, non-payment from a merchant they don't know, possible skimming. And for smart affiliates they realize it's a complete time-suck to have to log into, learn and deal with 20 different tracking programs and interfaced.

Upside networks - one log in, one interface and set of reports, sorting and reports across multiple merchants, one place to pull banners, consolidated payments from a network they trust - BIG time savings.

What often times happens is affiliates start with the network to test the merchant and for convenience.
If it's a super affiliate and they get to like and trust the merchant they may ask for higher payouts and a direct relationship.

Makes Sense

Thank you very much for your analysis of the situation. It makes complete sense the way you have broken it down. It does seem like it makes the most amount of sense to go direct with the super affiliates because that is what they most likely prefer.

Once again, thanks for your response!

banners
Back