The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

GID or PNG for transparent images?

arunpattnaik

affiliate
Hello guys,

What image extension do you use for transparent images in your websites. I personally prefer GIF images, because the transparent PNGs look wierd in some older browsers.

If you use PNG's , i'd like to know how do you fix the issues in older browsers like, say, IE6- ?

I love pngs, there is no compression loss or anything like that. If you are using an old browser, you shouldn't be online, in my opinion. You're missing out. Plus you can layer png's which makes for some neat effects.

I've just gotten used to transparent images not working! I'd use png though if I had to and I'd just do some googling to find out how to make it work in IE.

there are some work arounds to get pngs to work in IE, but most of the time it doesn't work. IE 7 does work with pngs however.

PNG is much more usable with IE7 and you can be backward compatible with older versions of IE by using pngfix or similar

I love png! In fact, I set all my images to png even if they're not transparent. I can only imagine what people using the older browsers see :D. I don't like gif much because the quality doesn't seem to match png especially where transparency is concerned.

I'm sorry but I'll have to agree with irockit, haha...if you're on an older browser you really ought to get something new. I can't bare to compromise the quality of my work for people who are on older browsers. :(

I'd also say png, generally you might also find that pngs are of lower file-size, while the quality is same, or maybe even better in some cases.

My blog is taking heavy use of alpha transparency, and I'm likely to make a lot of similar sites. I simply ask IE6 users to upgrade, or switch to opera.

Some claim that win9x users haven't got an alternative, but they do. Opera works on win9x, and if those users wont upgrade their os, they could at least shift their browser with a better one.

I started by using some alpha image loader for older versions of IE, and that worked fine. But finally i made the decision to not support broken or outdated browsers in any way, people using those are on their own.

We can't keep supporting older browsers forever, ofcause there might be a few users effected by our choices every now and then, but why don't they complain to their boss instead of us?

If their boss decided they are stuck with an old OS, then thats not really our problem. Also i cant be bothered by the few ignorant users who refuse to either upgrade to IE7 or shift their browser.

Last edited:
MI
Back