The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Found competing site with similar name...

Brandwalla

affiliate
I'm working hard on my new deep content site. I spent the last couple of days brainstorming and coming up with good brand domain names.

I just came across a site that has a very similar domain registered and operating in the same space. It's slightly simpler: cleanyourdog.com versus mine: cleanupyourdog.com.

They use the domain to point to another site, a completely unrelated name, so their branding is weak, but they'll likely benefit from type in traffic. How much so? When I started to set up the site, I typed in THEIR domain name.

I have other domain options that I could develop, but I thought this was a pretty good name. I will spend considerable effort developing the brand, so I am curious to hear the experts thoughts on my predicament.

I do have the skills to create a strong brand. I will maintain a more razor-sharp focus on the niche. They have some PR already and have a robust offering similar to mine. Mine will be more friendly and focused.

So, what do you think? Wage the battle, or use a slightly different, possibly less elegant name?

Thanks again!
Bill

Hi Bill,

Those were just examples right? Hard for me to say without knowing the real names. If you'd like to PM me I'll keep the domains confidential but will be able to give you my more informed 2 cents. I'm pretty good with domain names and could possibly give you other ideas too.

That happened to me once. I lived with it, as there didn't seem a lot that I could do. I built up my business and eventually expanded and developed another site and let that one go. However, if you're just starting out, you could still register another domain name and rebuild.

Thanks for the feedback MommyAffiliates and welcome too by the way. :)

Brandwalla, I took a look at the actual domains and I think the one you picked is brandable and will be fine.

MommyAffiliates, he has several other domains registered too but I think the one he picked is a good one.

MommyAffiliates, that's an interesting story and just what I was afraid of.

After speaking with Linda, I think I have a good handle on things. I did take her advice and grabbed a couple of similar names with the proper keywords.

Thanks!

if my reading here is right, you would be good to go for keyword rich URLs with good keyword selection and the right SEO techniques and it shouldnt matter if there is already a "similar" site because you will be aiming to better what they do anyway?

Thanks for the support, gang! I did go back and dig up some great, keyword-rich names.
<head down, busily working on his new site>

banners
Back