The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Forum software

temi said:
SMF is quite good but for some reasons it never quite make it big like phpBB

I've used it for a few sites I've run and I find it easy to install and use, and very stable as well as having quite a powerful permissions system. Also being open source it has a great support community and lots of extensions.

I used it on my other forum www.webmasterserve.com but this days I do not have time to trawl support forums for help, prefer to let VB do all the work, just click a button and my forum is updated automatically but SMF was great when I had loads of time.

Is there a way to access various parts of the forums in vb and link several sites to it? If so then I may go vb as well.

It would also be great if the site linking to your vb database used the main sites skin linked from.

phpBB

Hi,

I am a complete zero with php but using phpBB I have built a forum without any problems. Very good software. My recommendation (I guess not very important since I am a begginer) but still... ;)

Piotrek

I use PHPBB, it's nice and easy to get the basics, then you can start to develop it from there.

I agree with you Steve, phpBB is a fine forum software, especially if you can find the time top add various hacks and patches to make it a real professional forum software.

Yeah, I'm just learning about adding the extras to it, managed to skin it last week, it took longer to work out where to install it to than it did to actually do the install. I'll be adding more soon. I think the next one will have to be a no follow though, I don't mind people having links in their sig as long as they post something useful, but I'm starting to get the spammers comming in :-(

No there is no catch, it's free. The only thing I would say is that if you pay for VBulletin, apparently its already SEO ready, PHPBB you will have to mess around with

True about VB being SEO ready to some extent, but there are hacks you can apply to make it even more search engine friendly.

Yes we are using vBulletin and it is so powerful - and the next version will have a blogg facility so I don't regret paying the money.

banners
Back