The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

FireFox vs. IE

itsalluphl

affiliate
I just wanted to point out a slight caveat about FireFox. It may or may not be pertinent to anyone using these but since it's been mentioned I thought I'd share my experience. The majority of my site was designed while running in IE. When I view my site in Firefox, the text looks somewhat smaller. In addition, when I go to print one of my web pages, if there is more than one page, in print preview and print mode only the first page is executed. In IE, this is not an issue -- if there are 3 pages for example that I want to preview or print for one of my web pages all three pages are executed.

Luba

Hi Luba,

The first question is what version of IE are you working with?
I actually work the other way around. Work in Firefox, and then test in IE.

The reason being is that the Firefox browser is Web Standards compliant, whereas IE6 is not. So if you design your site around IE6 (IE7 is a lot better now) you will find that you have to make a lot of changes in firefox!

IE6 was not designed very well, and will cause you problems if you design for this browser only.
But if you do design around IE7 or Firefox, make sure that it works in IE6 as well, otherwise you could be losing customers!
- Ask Linda, she knows all about that!

Here is a good link that talks in more details about design:
How to Design a CSS Web Site for Both Firefox and Internet Explorer

Cheers

I'd advise adapting your site to work with firefox over IE. Even IE 7 could potentially give you some problems, and when it comes down to it, IE just isn't as common as it used to be. This is a common problem, and one that is relatively easy to fix unless you have to change a ridiculous amount of formating. Good luck!

Hi There,
I would have to disagree with the idea that IE is not as common as it used to be.
Looking at my Google Analytics for a site that is getting over 60,000 unique visitors a month, 76% of people are still accessing the site through Internet Explorer, and only 17% through Firefox.

If I break this down further, I see that 71% of my visitors are using IE7, and 27% are using IE6 The rest are made up of the new IE8 and other older versions of IE.

So the notion that IE is not used so much now is very wrong, and building your site around IE only, may cause you some problems with users using other Web Compliant Browsers like Firefox and Safari.

Cheers

Hi

Hello Friends

Tell me the latest versions of IE and of Mozzila both also tell me which one is conveinent to use...

Thanks

"For the past couple of years Internet Explorer has been on a downward spiral, albeit slow, but inching down with every passing month, with only Firefox to blame. In the race to produce Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3.1, Microsoft and Mozilla are also going head to head in an audience-measuring contest, a constant comparison of market share that is continually giving the edge to the source browser over its proprietary rival. At the start of December, for the first time in its history, Firefox's market share climbed over 20%. At the same time, Internet Explorer's trajectory dipped below the 70% mark."

Read the balance Firefox vs. Internet Explorer, Ahead of IE8 and Firefox 3.1 - Market share comparison - Softpedia

I use IE more often than FireFox. However, there are some good features that FF has that I like - one of them is the "resume download" option, which I always use when downloading big files.

Backend Applications for IE and Firefox is completely different from each other. Try mobilising your site according to both standards i.e. when you are designing your site, keep in mind the codes of both browsers. Infact first try Firefox browser and then try in IE. It will work.

I kind of agree with you. With firefox i have also experienced some problems while printing. but even then i prefer Firefox over IE beacuse of speed. Somehow i have noticed that whenever i use firefox, page opens up quickly and downloads within no time.

I prefere IE7, the text syle and size is good. maybe the text style in FF takes getting used to, but it's IE for now

I kind of agree with you. With firefox i have also experienced some problems while printing. but even then i prefer Firefox over IE beacuse of speed. Somehow i have noticed that whenever i use firefox, page opens up quickly and downloads within no time.

Even faster than firefox is the new version of google chrome--especially when it comes to opening new tabs. However, I still prefer firefox because of all the available plugins and customization options. IE on the other hand, is essentially useless to me. It's slow and not very customizeable.

Even faster than firefox is the new version of google chrome--especially when it comes to opening new tabs. However, I still prefer firefox because of all the available plugins and customization options. IE on the other hand, is essentially useless to me. It's slow and not very customizeable.

I am starting to use firefox for most things, must try the Chrome when I get a chance

i use only FF.. he have many good and usefull options and do not make my computer hanging up. IE is terrible for work - takes a lot of memory and my computer always hang up!

Two things you can do that will help your pages render properly in almost any browser:

1. Include an appropriate DOCTYPE declaration at the very top of the code. This will work for most pages:

Code:
<*!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Place this BEFORE the <html> tag in your source code.

2. Check that all opening HTML tags are closed. For example, ensure that <*p> or <*font> or <*b> or <*em> are followed by the appropriate closing tags (<*/p>,<*/font>,<*/b>,<*/em>) and that the tags are properly nested (i.e., close them in reverse order from opening them). Additionally, ensure that all <*div>, <*table>, <*span>, <*tr>, and <*td> tags are properly closed and nested.

Note: *added in example tags to avoid incorrect display of this page.

One of the reasons that pages can render well in IE and not in other browsers is that IE traditionally has been very forgiving of coding errors, so IE will try to correct those errors as best it can and display the page, whereas other browsers will cough up errors.

Did anyone else have problems installing Chrome? I'm a religious FF user and decided to give Chrome a try but it wouldn't let me load any pages and bonked out on me. Am I the only one? lol

Did anyone else have problems installing Chrome? I'm a religious FF user and decided to give Chrome a try but it wouldn't let me load any pages and bonked out on me. Am I the only one? lol

well... when i tried to install Chrome at home - my computer automatically rebooted! but when i tried to install at the work - everything was ok! i almost don't use Chrome, but problems with downloading and installing i had! :confused:

Fresh start

I found a new good browser. This caters to fast browsing - Leapfish. The latter is like SAS Sylt, so fresh that you can't help but try. Even if you are not yet through typing your inquiry, leapfish automatically searches and voila, you don't have to press that Enter button to start the browsing process, the results are already right in front your screen waiting for you to open. What a fresh start - so SAS Sylt like.

banners
Back