The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Ebooks Won't Give you the SECRET - Keep your wallet in your pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respectfully agree with some things you say. Most ebooks, videos or seminars can offer up some gems that can validate some worth. I can only still think of a few that have really offered their worth in return for my money spent. One I paid for is now free as mentioned in a prior post. Another ebook was turned into a subscription service and is doing quite well. Another I got for free and was a paid book when it first came out and another was a dvd that came as an enticement for a magazine subscription.

The rest of the ebooks that I have in a folder on my computer and desktop that represent hundreds if not thousands of dollars were accidentally deleted and the backup drive failed would prove to be no real loss. The ones that have served me well are on my computer, my backup drive and a thumb drive. The dvd is on the shelf.

The best information I have found in forums usually obtained from asking good questions. The problem with most people who are new to this is the amount of information can be overwhelming and trying to sort good from the bad can be a task but continuing to ask questions will often deliver an acceptable or good answer.

With many ebooks especially in the last few years is as you said yourself they are often a calling card and from what I can see after buying and reading so many and many review copies is they are often regurgitated info that can be found for free, in forums or figured out with a little reasoning and offer little value and in some cases back ending and promoting affiliate products. I have no real issues with it if the book is free but why should I pay for back ending and affiliate links.

So if I were starting over 11 years ago I would be using the forums for information,
applying the information and spending more money on tools instead of paid info.

Oh and seeing it was brought up in the last two post I would spend a more time checking out 2 tier programs. I am involved in 2 of those as we speak and the nice thing about those is when my sales may be down a few affiliates below may be have some good SERP results... but the emphasis should always be on the product.

I learnd the exact same lesson with SEO a few years back, bought the book, read it, didn't think too much of it, bought another, that was pretty poor too, so ended up learning most of it from trial and error, although some errors were other peoples which were discussed in the forums.

Hi

I definately don't knock ebooks but yes I agree with you for the most part. There are tons of ebooks on the net that have all the same info as the next book. I think new marketers are so excited to learn, that they buy and download all the info they can get there hands on. Only later to realize that all those products say the same darn thing. The product I like to buy is those that expand on the subject and make new valid points. That is why I don't knock the ebooks. Some of those so called 'gurus' online may be selling everything with the intention of squeezing every penny out of the newb marketer but we really don't know if they are genuine or not.

I always like to think that there are some real genuine gurus that really want to help the newb. I think Ewan Chia really wants to help people. Jeff Johnson another one I think likes to help people. These two guys emailed me back and offered to answer any of my questions.

Hope I didnt wander off the topic too far lol.

Thanks
Benny

I'm a 5 year old newbie, meaning I've been trying IM since May 2005, and I'm shocked to see how every time I come back and try Affiliate Marketing, there are still people pushing "The Next Big Secret". It gets me so angry how they promise you the world and deliver a rusty nail!
The worst part is when they don't update their auto-responders. I got an e-mail the other day from one of these "Gurus" mentioning something great is going to happen some time in 2009 (don't remember the details).
Are they ever going to stop the hype???

Sorry, just letting out some steam. I'm new to the forum and I really hope this is my last round of attempts. I feel more determined, and considering I have my own offline business now, I think I have the right perspective on how to treat an online BUSINESS, because that's what it is, a BUSINESS. With expenses, frustrations and hopefully one day success!

It gets me so angry how they promise you the world and deliver a rusty nail!

Sorry, just letting out some steam. I'm new to the forum and I really hope this is my last round of attempts. I feel more determined, and considering I have my own offline business now, I think I have the right perspective on how to treat an online BUSINESS, because that's what it is, a BUSINESS. With expenses, frustrations and hopefully one day success!

amishosh, Welcome! And I think you'll find this forum different. We don't like hype either so don't attract as many of the marketers that ARE that way. We also don't allow any self promotion or selling in any of the discussion threads so the only hype you may see is the occasional sig that's like that.

We try to keep it REAL and hope we can help you with your BUSINESS, because you are right, that's exactly what it is!

I find some marketing blogs more informative than those over-promised ebooks we are talking about. Just last week, I wore my newbie hat and purchased a newly launched ebook on clickbank just to find my self $77 poorer. I'd rather spend money on marketing tools and outsourcing to improve productivity and reach my goal faster.

I wonder if it's the same ebook I purchased :) The price and timing sure sounds right.

By the way, any one have any input on "The Challenge"? I actually found them through Linda's link to answer a question regarding competition. They just launched a new challenge for 2010 and looks really good and genuine. Oh and guess what guys, it's free!

Thanks

I find E-books a tremendous help in not falling into the trap of believing everything you read on Squeeze pages.
I give away free e-books all the time.

i also published few ebooks on how to make money that worked for me but i told it to everyone only when i was tried of this method and moved to other methods. so ebooks can help but you always have to find your own way to success

I approach Affiliate Marketing the same way I approached becoming a General Contractor.

There were many books, tapes, videos that offered fast track methods to become a contractor but....bottom line without the experience to back up what I learned from the books....my work was JACKED!

Since major injuries caused me to seek a new business 3 years ago...I have read books, watched videos and yes spent a small fortune to gain a "little success" here in Affiliate Marketing.

I have a notebook full of notes where I've pulled "nuggets" from each source and I refer to some of them each day. Example: when I started I didn't even know what FTP was, much less upload a file to something called c-panel.

I'll grant you the books and videos are full of HYPE. But there were days, without the encouragement of the hype, I wouldn't have kept going. Let's face it none of us really believe we're going to make $2000 in the next 24 hours; but when your out of food and ready to lose your house, you can make $100 to put food on the table and shoes on the kid.

And then through the experience, the trial and error, the hype you come across something that pulls it all together and you can see yourself succeeding in this market.

I call it foundation! You have to put the rocks in, the sand in, the c/c mix in, add water and you've got a slimy, gooey, sticky mess! BUT when you put it into the right forms, you have a deep, solid, sturdy FOUNDATION!

You can build your business in whatever arena (niche) you want and succeed!

So Thank You for the ebooks, videos and hype for they are the rocks, sand and c/c mix that make my foundation strong!

Blessings!

I know a super affiliate who runs a coaching site and he does not promote the fact that he is a success. He just works darned hard to make more and quietly without the self gratification methods used by the self titled guru's.

I totally agree with Linda. Success is within our efforts but somehow, ebooks and marketing courses can be guides on how to plan effective strategies. For me, it is more effective to interact on affiliate or relevant forums among marketers like this to acquire ideas. They are more reliable sources because they have already gotten their success as online marketers. Newbie should be very careful because as what Linda says (my favorite line) "You are swimming with sharks before you even know how to swim". Learn to swim first and become an expert before heading your way mingling with the big sharks.

Forums and ebooks still help, with constant practice (trial and error), more research, anyone can excel in anything

yeah you can find guides that most networks will give to affiliates without having to jump through hoops. just look around and there are some good ones out there!
:)

whole idea of reading ebooks is not to get all the answers. As Linda wrote in some of her posts, there is no secret to success. We have to find our own success and our own method which will do the job for us. :)

i personally wrote an ebook that shows people how to drive traffic to their site/offers for my CPA network and i will tell you right now that what this is what it boils down to.....

make a site.
tastefully banner site with good offers.
drive traffic to site.
make conversions.
with offer income start PPV camps.
drive more traffic.
make more money.
and so on......

if you do the grunt work and drive traffic yourself to your site, the organic traffic will pick up. with the money you make off the ads then start banging out PPC camps. eventually if you do this advertisers will be contacting you, wanting to give you money to host their ads and at that point you sit back and update content for your site.

i mean yeah it sux at 1st having to do the grunt work to drive the traffic yourself but eventually it will pay off (assuming you have good content)

Use the free trial periods and download the free ebooks. Make sure you can try programs before you buy them. Find one good mentor and stick with him or her as long as you're still learning from them and making progress. Keep learning.

The real secret behind making allot of money is to have a product everyone can use and to be able to sell it over and over again. All the books on "The law of focus" are the same. Just keep your chin up and things will look brighter soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MI
Back