The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Duplicate Content: It's Not What You Think!

I agree it is not as people keep saying in posts. Think about the malicious possibilities. If I did not like your website I could then just duplicate your content over and over. That just does not make any sense. Great post!

I keep reading people saying "duplicate content" in here so I just wanted to post my thoughts on it. I was reading on another forum yesterday and apparently completely miss informed. I guess duplicate content is just content on your site that is used more than once.
Content thats posted on other sites over and over again is just syndicated content. I didnt know this..its probably obvious for most but it wasnt for me. I always thought that google punishes you for spamming the web. But I never really thought about it completely.

Syndication is a little different than duplicate content, whether it is on your own site or on other sites. Synidcated content is content that is attributed to a single source but published in more than one venue or location, much like a story from Associated Press may be published in hundreds of local newspapers.

But there is no "punishment" or "penalty" for duplicate content by search engines. Generally, all things being equal, the original will be indexed and copies will be ignored or given less priority in search results, but it's not like search engines will ban your site from their databases or anything - your copy just isn't likely to rank very highly.

1. I did say "all things being equal", i.e., in the majority of cases. If you write an article that is picked up be CNN, chances are CNN is going to outrank you for that article.

2. I didn't mention "authority" which is a bit different. I was talking about priority in search results.

Basically I have already put up with this. I get linked to and my content taken from my blog or linked, but I am getting backlinks. So if they outrank you on one post, that's OK, CNN can easily do that, but what is getting a dofollow backlink from CNN worth?

Basically I have already put up with this. I get linked to and my content taken from my blog or linked, but I am getting backlinks. So if they outrank you on one post, that's OK, CNN can easily do that, but what is getting a dofollow backlink from CNN worth?

That is the whole idea of press releases and articles, to get links from authority sites.

this is true...I also have the same misconception...in my early SEO days, I used to rewrite an entire article or news instead of just re-posting it and give due credit to source...
i could have saved more time :D

Sure, you're right.... I just recently read that activity backlinks and traffic is equaly important in Google's new algorithm. Now I concentrate on all 3 of them, and have to say, last week my blog got referred to by a very serious daily paper's website. Now what does it worth? But if I waited to publish my article on the site until I rewrote it.... Well....

Duplicate content, from what I learned, is only if you have the same piece of copy, etc. on the same site. If this were not true then what about Social Bookmarking. Which I intend to be doing real soon. As soon as Ezine has approved the two articles I have submitted to them.

No.

define:duplicate content - Google Search

Definitions of duplicate content on the Web:

Connor:

Social Bookmarking is like Bookmarking/in Firefox and Favorites/in IE.

So you look up a Socal Bookmark place, such as Digg.com, which is down now or
reddit.com.

You place your article out there and it becomes like a Bookmark or Favorite. Then
you signup to a number of sites that, I know Digg recommend. I say them in the
tutorial site I'm ons Video. Open accounts on the ones you want and probably point
them at the article. I have not tried it yet.

I am waiting for my articles at Ezine to be approved.

{don't ask people to email you, please}

1. With social bookmarking sites, you are doing just that - bookmarking the article, i.e., submitting a link to and perhaps a summary of a specific web page. That's not duplicaqte content.

2. With other venues, like article directories, it is duplicate content. But as has been noted repeatedly in other threads, that's all it means. You don't get penalized for duplicate content. It's simply that the original (or one copy) tends to get prominence in search results while the others are ignored.

PR Press room

Hi, just wanted some advice on this offer.
one of the Press Release sites offer a service to embed your press room into your site.
I thought it would be a good idea to create a link and set up a page for my press room.
Although: I am worried if Google would take it as duplicate content.

It is basically just a html code I insert into the page, but still worrying.

I have great rankings at the moment and don't want to ruin it.

I am sure somebody will be able to help me, loads of experts within this forum!

Thanks in advance.

Laura

Frankly, I think people worry way too much about this issue, mostly based on the false notion that there is some sort of "duplicate content penalty".

Give it a try. Go ahead and add the code. But monitor your traffic and where it goes: It may be that this will benefit the press release site more than it benefits you and you don't want to be diverting your traffic to them.

Hi, just wanted some advice on this offer.
one of the Press Release sites offer a service to embed your press room into your site.
I thought it would be a good idea to create a link and set up a page for my press room.
Although: I am worried if Google would take it as duplicate content.

It is basically just a html code I insert into the page, but still worrying.

I have great rankings at the moment and don't want to ruin it.

I am sure somebody will be able to help me, loads of experts within this forum!

Thanks in advance.

Laura

If duplicate content penalties existed..all your competitors would have to do is take an article and post it on 100's of websites with your link on it..
theres no such thing as a penalty for duplicate content

banners
Back