The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Downloading a whole website

R

Robster

Hey guys,

I've got a new client who has asked me to finish off a website started for her by someone who she can no longer get in contact with.

The problem is she has none of the login information for the site. Apparently the guy said he would get it finished within a few weeks. It has now been a year and he's not answering any emails or calls. I guess there are cowboys in every industry.

Luckily the domain is registered in her name so we'll probably be able to get control of it and point it to different hosting.

So what I need is some software that can download the whole website for me. Anyone know of something that will do this? I run Ubuntu as my primary OS so something thats linux would be nice, but i can probably use something windows with a workaround.

Robster, where is the website stored? Is the hosting space controlled by your client or the cowboy?

If the hosting is inaccessible and the website use dynamic script, i don't think that you could solve that.:(

Robster, where is the website stored? Is the hosting space controlled by your client or the cowboy?

If the hosting is inaccessible and the website use dynamic script, i don't think that you could solve that.:(

She has no control over the hosting, but the site is just plain HTML and images so its possible to do it, but its quite a big site so I want to avoid doing it manually.

Robster, if the website doesn't contain more than 200 pages the trial version of this tool will do the job. :D

Iv'e had similar experiences and have used a similar tool (Offline Explorer, I think).

Only problem was that the absolute paths in the files were re-written so I had to do a search and replace across all of the files. It'll take a while to do.

However, it might be worth simply ditching the site and moving to a CMs-based system which would offer a number of benefits. Number one would be that the client could update it herself in the future and could actually take some of the tedious work off of you copying and pasting content across from the old site to the new.

Just a thought

You're running Ubuntu?

Then write this in the console as the root:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install webhttrack

This will install WebHTTrack, a site downloader. It's free and it works great!

I have had this trouble before now i have web site downloader which works pretty well i have to say just do a search for "web site downloader" great bit if software

If the domain name is registered on your clients name you might get the hosting company to give you the logins you need for the site. Probably you will have to give some proof, i mean your client, but there should be no problem.

banners
Back