The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Domain names

SSContinental

affiliate
Hi All,
Just wondering if it matters if you can't get your .com extension but .net is available? The .com extension already taken is unrelated to what I'm proposing to market. Should I just go for the most recognized .com extension?:confused:

.coms are better by far. The problem is you may tell someone your site is coolsite.net or they may see it advertised. 2 weeks later they decide to go and remember coolsite but forget .net and go to .com. So you did all the work only to send them to someone else's site.

I'm pretty good at finding good domains. PM me the name you want PLUS your main keywords and I'll see if I can find a couple good ones for you.

Hey all,
I give many thanks to Linda for helping me find 2 great domain names for my niche. I was really lost and she helped show me the way. Now I can really concentrate on getting my blog up etc..have so many ideas now that I can put in place and start to find merchants for some product offerings. :)

Hi all,

Just wanted to share a site that may help if your stuck for a domain name.
bustaname.com
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve.

Hi SSContinental,

I think there is some .com addiction. There is no reason why you can't go with .net and get success. I have a lot of sites in .org and .net and do well.

Don't think about this too much, if you can get .com great! If you can't grab .net or .org and start working...

My store name owns .com and .biz. at the moment. I'm looking to get rid of the .com one though as I like the .biz site MUCH better. It's built with my own two hands and the help from a tech or 2 or 3. :)

My store name owns .com and .biz. at the moment. I'm looking to get rid of the .com one though as I like the .biz site MUCH better. It's built with my own two hands and the help from a tech or 2 or 3. :)

I'd advise against that. Keep the .com version, point it to the .biz site, and 301 permanent forward the .biz URLs to the .com version. Then you can dump the .biz if you wish.

There is a well-earned stigma about .biz domains currently (well earned because they're associated with a LOT of spam or cheap cookie cutter sites) which may be shared by search engines. At one time not long ago, there were hints that .biz might be a negative factor in Google ranking.

Why make life any more difficult for yourself than it needs to be?

There's a little problem with that. I don't really own the .com site. I can't add anymore product to it or have full admin control of that site. I shouldn't have said that I own the .com I guess, sorry.

:confused:

In that case, if I understand you, you have a double obstacle to overcome. If someone else owns mystore.com and you are trying to promote and build mystore.biz, you have to overcome both the branding of mystore.com (especially if its an older established domain) and the negative .biz stigma.

I'd advise getting a domain that isn't directly competing with the .com version.

As soon as I get my products up and everything set with the .biz site I plan on getting rid of the .com site. Wouldn't that help? I already registered my business name and really wouldn't want to change everything now.

If you have an established site, then you're stuck with that decision and you work with what you have.

But if you're just starting out, as you seem to be, my advice is not to create unnecessary obstacles.

You may want to wait and get advice or differeing opinions from others, of course. But from the sketchy details you've supplied here, I'd say you have a long uphill battle and you could make things a lot easier on yourself in the long run by taking a small hit now.

If I cancel my .com site, what obstacles is there to overcome? All the product that is on the .com site will be on the .biz site. Sorry, I just don't see what the problem will be, considering I never virally advertised my .com site in the first place. Guess I need another cup of tea? :)

What exactly is your link to that .com site? You say you don't own it. Who does? If you own it or jointly own it, my advice would be different. If someone else owns it and you are using that site to promote products as an affiliate, I would say in the long run you may need to divorce yourself from the .com site, but using a .biz version of the same name isn't the way to go, in my opinion.

I'm a member of a warehouse club, I guess you could call them, for lack of a better term. They have websites that are all set to go, I just pay a monthly fee for hosting. I do have some admin control, but not enough to upload pics and whatnot.

I'm a technical SEO-SEM guy, still very new to affiliate marketing, so you may well want to wait for the affiliate experts to wade in here.

But I can tell you that I personally would not be happy giving "a warehouse club" that kind of congtrol over my sites or online business.

And, again, I'll also tell you that when I moved on from them to set up my own site and my own branding, I would do my best to get as far away as possible from their branding.

You can always keep the existing content on the "warehouse club" to direct people to your new site... or is that also forbidden?

The company that makes the websites is not the actual "club" where I get my products. They go by a different name. I could cancel the .com site and still have access to the products that I have on my site.

As I grow, I would like to find wholesalers that I could use and phase out the current products that aren't moving well.

I really don't want to send anyone to the .com site. It looks cheaply made, if you ask me. That's why I bought the .biz site, so that I have total control over what happens with it. Or are you talking about a redirect?

If you talking redirect, there are some things on my .biz site that stated I could not have a redirect and I would rather not get rid of what I have implemented.

Good points all, David, however does not sound to me like that will work for him. Sounds like he's locked into turnkey systems where he does not have much control. I agree it's not ideal but sounds like he's pretty committed to the direction he's already heading.

Linda, I am female. ;)

I don't have any affiliate links. Not sure where you're coming up with that. Yes, I am committed to going in the direction I am now. I had no confidence with that other site, hence my not going viral with it. Now, my .biz site is infinity times 10 better and I want this site to be the best it can out of the gate.

Setting it up isn't a problem so far, it's the keywords and how to to properly use them. I always thought that the more keywords, the better.

banners
Back