The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Does Affiliate Marketing Have The Same Reputation as MLM?

Being in both I find in MLM (network marketing, multi-level marketing etc.) gets it's sense of how to act from the upline, but I'm wondering what you all feel about the reputation of mlm versus affiliate marketing.

There are those who will tell you both do not work. MLM however has been around a lot longer and is usually done offline for the most part. I went to a talk on mlm where the speaker, a poor to success story himself, stated people did not act properly when recruiting because of fear. What do they say in both mlm and affiliate marketing, "If you fail it's not the system it's you. I can see how that could put fear of failure into people.

What are your thoughts on the reputation of mlm versus affiliate marketing?

Rick

My experience is that MLM has been around a lot longer and has a larger contingent of nay sayers. MLM has caused far more controversy than AM. AM is a much simpler business model and is far easier to implement and manage. IMO.

I'm glad you've found success in the MLM field, I've heard that most don't.

Unfortunately, I think MLM has a bad rep. My first thought when I hear those three letters is "Amway." I don't really know why, it just is.

People don't seem to trust MLM, from what I understand from reading and speaking with people in general. It seems to give them the Ponzi willies. :) Doesn't always make sense but there you have it.

That's not to say that affiliate marketing doesn't have its share of haters in the general population; it does. Just think it's less so than MLM. As more marketers necessarily switch to ethical whitehat methods, I think it stands a chance of improving, at least somewhat.

Also, I have to agree with @tjtutor because I believe AM to be an easier business model. That's one of the beautiful things about it - gives everyone (or nearly so) a chance to get into this exciting and addictive industry. :)

I still think it's related to fear and lack of training for mlm. Now on the other hand I've read affiliate marketers stating "Oh please someone buy my product."

Rick

Last edited:
I still think it's related to fear and lack of training for mlm. Now on the other hand I've read affiliate marketers stating "Oh please someone buy my product."

Rick
Actually, this is bad marketing technique to insist someone or beg to buy his/her product. AM is quite creative and technical. Just think about the CPS method. Find the problem and solve it. On the other hand, you can promote your product and earn money too. There are different methods as well as a vast knowledge and techniques required for AM. Time, money, research is needed for AM. This is real IM business.

Actually, this is bad marketing technique to insist someone or beg to buy his/her product. AM is quite creative and technical. Just think about the CPS method. Find the problem and solve it. On the other hand, you can promote your product and earn money too. There are different methods as well as a vast knowledge and techniques required for AM. Time, money, research is needed for AM. This is real IM business.

I'm impressed sir,

Having a love for sales-psychology and having been in sales school I don't often hear techniques quoted. What I was taught was for a sale to occur you must:

Demonstrate a problem
Show a solution
Show why they should buy from you

Rick

I'm impressed sir,

Having a love for sales-psychology and having been in sales school I don't often hear techniques quoted. What I was taught was for a sale to occur you must:

Demonstrate a problem
Show a solution
Show why they should buy from you

Rick

Well said about the points for sale you mentioned in your reply........If i have been given this opportunity to choose whether MLM or AM.. first i will check the compatibility of both by asking several professional affiliates.. about their experience in MLM and AM and making my ind set... Priority will be given to guarantee of payments and other issues.... then the first thing which comes to mind is.. Where should be the work load less and pay more.. I have tried to work on the MLM but could not produce a better positive result so i left it and joined AM.. here i am running successfully without any hindrance and hesitation... I have learned a lot from AM. and i hope in future i will more......

MI
Back