Do you read privacy policy

• Yes

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
Privacy policy is not big on my list -- it is a legal statement requirement in many cases.
TOS (terms of service) or T&C (terms and conditions) and AUP (acceptable use policy) -- those are mandatory reads for business relationships as they form a legal contract with standing between the buyer and seller <contracts of adhesion that are usually enforceable in the courts and in any arbitration they bind you to.

Graybeard, Feb 17, 2018

Its very important to read the ToS, Privacy Policy etc when you are registering at an affiliate network, since they form a legal connection between you and the network. So it's good to know what, how and why they do that they do.

Privacy is actually statutory by jurisdiction.
Words mean little when it comes to policy statement. File a lawsuit with a claim against the 'policy statement' on a website ({<LOL>}).
Terms of Service may form a binding contract -- that is up to a Court of Law if you want to enforce any rights.
TOS is a Contract of Adhesion.
The offeror of the TOS uses its terms to justify its often unlawful actions.
In other words; it is a one sided statement or obligation -- worthless in most cases.

SEM requires it be posted -- so post it to make them happy.
The GDPR in the EU states is enacted statute. There is no equivalent in the USA. There are web privacy laws enacted in Canada that I know of also. The is no unified 'global code'.

So, there is no way that a Privacy Statement has any binding statutory basis with the exception of the above stated places. So, its really just web fluff -- dependent on the good will of the offeror anyway.

Privacy Statements or TOS may form the basis of an 'equitable claim' to be decided by the Court or some arbitrator that the parties agree to.

Last edited:
Its very important to read the ToS, Privacy Policy etc when you are registering at an affiliate network, since they form a legal connection between you and the network. So it's good to know what, how and why they do that they do.

And when you want to MAKE THEM DO SOMETHING?
What Court of Law -- in some foreign jurisdiction :p

Web fluff and bluff mainly. If I have to hire an international law firm the dispute has to be more than $500,000 to be worth the up front legal expense.

You are going to get screwed out of your money in most cases where there is no good faith applied in any dispute. I wipe my ass with contracts that are mandatory and offered in adhesion <<< with no negotiation between the parties.

The kangaroo court of the internet pwnd! LOL

If the amount at risk is under a few million dollars/euros it's all at risk owed money and future revenue *agreed* --usually. Hedge your bets and make sure you can afford to lose it all all of the time. Truth ;)

MI
Back