Do You Offer Searching On Your Site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

espmartin

affiliate
If you do not have a search area on your site, and in a placement that users
will expect to find it, you are missing out on a great usability tool that
it offers. Some people would rather do an internal search than wade through
100s of pages on your site to find what they're looking for.

Google has their free search code you can use (and it's monetized as well),
and WordPress (and I am assuming other CMS) has a search hook that most
themes use.

Large sites without search functions really anoy me, especially if there is no easy straight-forward navigation.

If you would like to implement a real search function i would like to suggest to use google custom search. For instance the WordPress default search function is only an input form in my eye, so a little bit useless..

I use search features but alas the EE one is TERRIBLE I'm waiting for them to upgrade it - its really annoying!

This thread deserves a bump. It is still relevant. I do offer the search feature on my content sites. It makes it easy for visitors to find archived data, articles, and such.

Yea do agree with. Without search option means you are missing a lots of visitors and they sometimes annoyed about this. This is very easy to build custom search engine for your site using google.

I don't have many pages on my websites, however, once I have build numerous pages on my websites, I will add onsite search bar. Search option is a great way to help the visitors find the contents.

Providing a search function that searches your Web pages is a design strategy that offers users a way to find content. Users can locate content by searching for specific words or phrases, without needing to understand or navigate through the structure of the Web site. This can be a quicker or easier way to find content, particularly on large sites.

If a visitor is on your website, and he need to search something, then it will increase engagement time on your website. may he came for a blog, but for him its not interesting.
Now he have two options, either search other stuffs of your website or go out. So don't loose your visitors.

Ya we do provide search functionality on our site because we have very large no for clients so we provide it mandatory.....

Attachments

• plastics.png
    plastics.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 6
Yup, I definitely have a search bar in my site. Nowadays, people want everything within their hands. The same goes for websites, if you can have it all in your site, why not? This can certainly make the reader experience worthwhile and enjoyable. Give them everything they need so they won't go to other sites just because you don't offer what they need or want. Simply put, make their experience in your site one-of-a-kind. Make them go back just because you are worth coming back to.

:affiliatefix::entrepreneurfix:

It's pretty good. I have it as a little widget since I don't code myself but use a service. It wouldn't hurt! And makes it easier to use your site.

If you are going to add a search functionality, just make sure that you do it right, I would say that you should not try to implement one yourself and use something like google custom search. The worst thing that you can do is to add a broken search functionality that will return no meaningful returns leading people to believe that your sites lacks the content that they are looking for.

I usе FusiоnBоt. FusiоnBоt оffеrs multiрlе lеvеls оf sеаrсh, аt thе frее lеvеl yоu gеt: 250 раgеs indеxеd, 1 аutоmаtiс indеx реr mоnth, 1 mаnuаl indеx реr mоnth, bаsiс rероrting, sitеmар, аnd mоrе. It еvеn suрроrts sеаrсhing асrоss SSL dоmаins.Аnd аlsо Gооglе. Thе Gооglе сustоm sеаrсh еnginе аllоws yоu tо sеаrсh nоt оnly yоur оwn sitе, but аlsо сrеаtе соllесtiоns tо sеаrсh within.

I have always thought that I was missing out on something by not offering a search, but it just never really fit with my site and to be honest I would not really know where to begin. It does seem like a powerful tool to bring people to your site though and a window that leads to many other things. I am curious to see what others have found.

Yeah we do. We have a lot of blog posts and without it is very hard to find a specific topic of a blog post. Works very well for us..

Status
Not open for further replies.
banners
Back