The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Different Search Results on Google

hamncheese

affiliate
Hello,

The following has been bugging me for some time now, and I really would like to find the reason for this.

Here we go:

My site ranks much better for English language google.com when searched in Germany and the UK than it does when I search for the same keyword at google.com from San Francisco, USA. THe difference in ranking is Huge. FOr example, Top 20 vs. not even TOP 200!

Before you comment, there are a few things you might want to know:

- The URL which is about Neck Ties has been up since Jan. 2007
- From Jan. 2007 - Feb. 2008 it was hosted on a German server with 1&1.
- Then the site was transferred to a US based server with hostgator in March 2008
- By now the majority of backlinks (90%) come from English speaking sites.
- I have checked with Google Dance Tool which apperently uses google's 3 main datacenters and compares the search results. The search results are the same weather I search from the US or from the UK. BUT THE DIFFERENCE:MY SITE DOESN"T SHOW UP FROM THE US SEARCH. All other search results are the same.

I hope that a good discussion on this forum can direct me to the mistake, error, and or reason. My business is located in the US and my SEO work is all based on US search results.

Thanks for the help!

Hendrik

Hi Hendrik,

These are only guesses - probably no one except Google would know for sure. ;)

Maybe because you have the word "European" in H1 at the top of the page,
Google spiders misread it to mean that’s who the target market is?

Maybe the US competition for that KW is fierce in US and not in the other countries
or maybe for some reason the algo is different?

Google spiders misread it to mean that’s who the target market is?

Interesting guess. Never thought about this!

Another thing that might be the reason:

THe URL is registered under my father's name in Germany.

My father owns a necktie retailer in Germany and bought this URL some time ago before I decided to come on board and take on the US market. Could this be a reason???

Thanks,

Hendrik

What keywords are you using?

When i search Google.com (USA) using the keyword European neckties your site is returned as the #1 result.

Seems to do just fine if you ask me. ;)

What keywords are you using?

When i search Google.com (USA) using the keyword European neckties your site is returned as the #1 result.
Seems to do just fine if you ask me. ;)

Thanks for the compliment. I want to rank for the following in order:

1. silk ties
2. neckties
3. mens ties
4. extra long ties
5. bow ties

If you look at those, then I am listed REALLY bad at google.com in the US...

Any thoughts...

I can't really dig too deep into this, but my first reaction is to get more anchor backlinks to your site, create a very special Christmas offer for customers to purchase ties at ridiculously low prices and contact men's clothing review websites, etc to inform them about this deal.

Give them a free tie or very special discount code for their review.

That will get you some good amount of incoming links, the losses you eat on the discounted products fade away with the long term benefit of natural topically relevant one way incoming anchor links.

Name your special discount offer(s) ;) in such a way that it will automatically include great anchor links when people link to your site, adapt your category pages to include more information about the offer and you will gain backlinks to your inner pages as well.

Make visitors aware of the special discount codes, so people will search for them if you mention this when you put this in your product description and product category pages.

Some people will start to link to pages on sites you have contacted that mentioned your great discount deal and they each will have a special discount code, because people will link to it these pages grow stronger and so will your links you're getting from these pages as well.

Like i said, i didn't have time to really examine the site, but from a link building perspective you can create some possibilities if you're willing to take some loss... from the people that make the effort to look up the discount codes that is. ;)

Another tip i can give you is to simply ask for a link in the product confirmation order, or in a letter when you ship your product, thanking your customer for their business, add a special discount coupon for customer retention and simply ask them if they would want to link to your website on their blog, etc

Once again, giving away discounts sounds from a revenue point of view counter productive, but that's only short term. In the long term you will gain not only more backlinks thus more customer traffic, but repeat business as well.

Good luck!

Hi Hendrik,

These are only guesses - probably no one except Google would know for sure. ;)

Google spiders misread it to mean that?s who the target market is?

Maybe the US competition for that KW is fierce in US and not in the other countries
or maybe for some reason the algo is different?

Agree with you, interesting guess

Google?????

This is a weird problem. There is no rhyme or reason to what google does sometimes it seems. I have found strange things happening to some of my sites rankings when using different computers before. Who Knows?? If you ever find the answer I think many people would like to know.

Similar problem here

My site does not show in Google at all. But has a #10 ranking on both, yahoo and msn.

May it be possible that google blocks sites/users or are there just way too many sites in their databases?

Weird - isn't it?

To make this as simple as I can. you do not have near enough links to get even close, so that is the reason, and in europe, the competetion is less, and you do have it in content, so that is why you are ranking there.

The pages your links are coming from are averaging 4.7% with one or more of your keywords in the title, this is a little weak, but you are averaging 81 % with your keywords in the content of pages that link back to you. So that is a plus.

You have good diversity of IP addresses so you are good there and you have a few higher PR links also, up to PR 6, so that is a plus.

So, what I am getting at is that you just lack the numbers (numbers of links). You are going to need just about triple the amount of links you have now to get to position number 1 to 3 for most of the phrases.

You need to get more focused on the anchors, more exact phrase anchors. This can easily be done with articles, and then you can get your title percentage up also (keywords in title).

I would also suggest that you also take Edwin's advice and get some traffic and links that way also.

But when it comes right down to it, you are being beat by the amount of links, your quality seems to be ok, just keep building and you will get there. If you push, you can be there is 3 to 6 months realistically.

MI
Back