The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Different direct traffic numbers for Matomo and Google Analytics

Alana88

affiliate
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, so I apologize if my thread might not be in the correct topic. Admins, feel free to transfer it.

Anyway, we've been experiencing quite a big difference in the direct traffic reported by Matomo and Google Analytics. The one from Matomo is almost 3-4x bigger than the one reported by GA.

We've been trying to figure out why is that.

Would love to hear any suggestions/ advice on how to proceed further/ what else to check on/ how both platforms measure direct traffic.

We have been seeing a great deal of this lately and in both directions. Google has changed, the trackers are changing to try and adapt, and now trackers are trying to revamp their products to adjust for certifications as certified Google trackers. The process is causing data loss for many.

One reason is that GA4 uses an event-based tracking system, while Universal Analytics uses a session-based tracking system. This means that GA4 tracks individual actions on a website, while Universal Analytics groups actions into sessions. Additionally, other formal trackers may be in transition to accommodate for the changes here.

Some of the associated challenges result from blocked cookie consent, private browsing, page timeouts, tracking loading disfunction, and JavaScript errors where and code breaks.

Can you give us more details? We have some very competent members here with tracking solutions.

Also, maybe take a look at the Google Certified Tracker list.

WELCOME ABOARD ...
thumbsup.png

━━━●──────────────
Google Analytics only reports user sessions that accept the Google (poison) Cookie in detail as engaged sessions.
Matomo (formally known as [FKA:] Picwik) operates with greater latitude as they are not constantly being harassed (or forced into line, your choice) by government regulators. :D

If a user flat out refuses the Google Cookie (Google analytics) that user is just ignored. If that use accepts the cookie but has his history setting =0 [off] for their account his initial session start is logged --that's it no tracking on your website.

This is why I do my own tracking of use in my own website it is not for any 3rd party use.

MI
Back