The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Dashes in Domains

Ollivander

affiliate
Would you ever own a domain with a dash (-) in it? What do you believe the pros and cons are of such domains? Do you think a dash affects the overall well being of a website? Why/why not?

I own a domain with a dash in it ouo.

It makes it easier to get a certain domain name that I want, and I don't think it seems to affect the traffic of my website too much.

I have a site with a dash and it and it is actually doing better than the site without the dash. Excessive amounts of dashes could be a problem though. Like Hanaseru said, it can also make it easier to obtain the domain you really want.

The only time I recommend using a dash is when it is to distinguish between two words that may not be obvious in the version without a hyphen.

For example:

penisland vs pen-island ;)
expertsexchange vs experts-exchange
therapistfinder vs therapist-finder

You get the idea.

Otherwise, though, it is much preferred to avoid having a hyphenated domain.

from my experience.. one of my best sites has a - in it.. doesn't affect it one bit.. ranks good, traffic is excellent.. and good revenue.. no negatives so far

The only problem in using special characters and punctuation is you cannot pronounce it and it is hard to remember. For example, I have wellbeingezine.com domain, I could have used wellbeing-ezine, however,it could be difficult to make people remember that there is a hyphen.

Dashes in domain do not affect website traffic too heavily, and can be essential for making the meaning clear, it must be moderated though.

the dash don't mean anything in a domain name. with the proper seo building , you actually don't notice that your domain is having a dash.

There is no problem with dash in your domain but you try to avoid it because no one can remember name with dash easily...

MI
Back