The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Custom Word Press Theme Question

ayushpant

affiliate
Does WordPress allow you to install custom wordpress theme in their "free-version". I believe not. Please correct me if I am wrong?

I think I'll give wordpress a try after reading so much about it here. Response greatly appreciated!!!

Hey All,

I discovered something. Not like discovered, already had a clue about it. I know that Wordpress offers their "famous 5 free minute installation" on their servers. However, there's an easy way if you want to save some time.

Godaddy has a service called "Metropolis". I have already used it to install "Joomla" on my site (which by the way is a great web developing application)..

Metropolis also offers WordPress installation, the only drawback I found was that the version it installed is 2.1, whereas the latest I believe is 2.2. But what the heck, I think Version 2.1 should work fine as well. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

So, conclusion is that I'd give WordPress a try with Godaddy Metropolis.

"Does WordPress allow you to install custom wordpress theme in their "free-version""

WP only comes in a free version and you can install whatever you want. Canned theme or custom they don't care, not sure where you got that info.

WP is easy to install on any server that has Cpanel and most do.

I believe that there was some wrong choice of words on my end. What I really meant by the free-version and question was that is it possible to have custom template if you have a blog such as "mysite.wordpresss.com" which is hosted on wordpress server (not your hosting company)

I believe the answer is "No".

Thanks for your comment Linda.

Hi Ayush,
There is a lot of confusion with WordPress' naming convention, however, there are two versions of WordPress: WordPress.com (yes, it's actually referred to that, even by the WP peeps) and just plain WordPress.

Just plain WordPress refers to the standalone software that can be downloaded from the .org website and WP.com, as the name suggests, is the .com hosted version of WordPress.

Can you modify the template, even with their paid service? Nope. The only thing you can modify, even with the paid upgrade is your stylesheet.

Can you modify the stylesheet without upgrading? Nope. If you wish to modify the stylesheet (which controls the look of the site), then you'll need to upgrade.

Hope that answers your question and clarifies for anyone else who may come across the thread.

~ Teli

MI
Back