The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

CPA pops - When to blacklist IPs? When to blacklist SiteIDs (placements)?

Luis Oscar Cruz

Hello everyone,

Since I'm running CPA I've been stuck in a lot of visits and 0 conversions (-100% ROI). I've tested different geos, niches and offers; and I've been always top bidder. If it is of interest; I'm using MaxBounty offers and Bemob as the tracker.

I received a tip; that I had to do IP blacklisting (subnets big). I've heard about blacklisting but I thought that you'd to do blacklist when you receive some data, even -95% ROI...some conversions then I get rid of the rest.

He told me that PopAds sends a lot of trash so I had to send everything to the trash bin until I find the jewels. I took notice replicating a previous campaign excluding all WiFi IPs (subnet big). I was only targeting WiFi and it seems I ate all offer IPs; the campaign is going now at turtle's pace. I launched it yesterday at late night and it hasn't reached the dollar (cost).

It's clear to me that I have to change the offer but my question is:
When should I blacklist IPs? When should I blacklist SiteIDs (placements)? Which rules of thumb, tips are for both cases?

Thanks!

Why are you blacklisting an IP or a CIDR range of IPs(ex:1.2.3.0/24) ?
If you don't know why -- don't do it!
Just because some one doesn't buy what you are selling why blacklist them -- and deny your self future sales conversion opportunities?

WiFi IP's ? you mean public WIFI IPs. What is wrong with hotel WIFI or Home WIFI?

Server farms datacenters -- would be a good reason just don't blacklist any legitimate server/partners.

Why are you blacklisting an IP or a CIDR range of IPs(ex:1.2.3.0/24) ?
If you don't know why -- don't do it!
Just because some one doesn't buy what you are selling why blacklist them -- and deny your self future sales conversion opportunities?

WiFi IP's ? you mean public WIFI IPs. What is wrong with hotel WIFI or Home WIFI?

Server farms datacenters -- would be a good reason just don't blacklist any legitimate server/partners.
I was test blacklisting just for that campaign, not for any other but you are right. I have to be very careful of getting rid of public IPs.
If I'm just test blacklisting for just one campaign and targeting only home WiFi IPs when my campaign has visits but 0 campaigns...is that OK?

What are you trying to achieve?
WIFI means exactly what?
Is is possible to tell if a mobile phone or a phablet is using WIFI LTE 3G or 4G (theoretically).
Do you have some reason to prefer a smartphone on WIFI as opposed to 4G.
For example I use my smartphone both ways when I am at home -- what is the difference to you?
Is it a bandwidth issue?
I'm targeting desktop only - for this campaign that I want to target. Thanks for showing me the complexity of mobile that I need to consider for other campaigns

What are you trying to achieve?
WIFI means exactly what?
Is is possible to tell if a mobile phone or a phablet is using WIFI LTE 3G or 4G (theoretically).
Do you have some reason to prefer a smartphone on WIFI as opposed to 4G.
For example I use my smartphone both ways when I am at home -- what is the difference to you?
Is it a bandwidth issue?

When should I blacklist IPs? When should I blacklist SiteIDs (placements)? Which rules of thumb, tips are for both cases?
Hi dear,

First of all, forget about IPs blacklist because it's an upper level thing, you can do IPs targeting/blacklist when you get success on many campaigns and you have a good volume of data for analyzing IPs (WIFI/Mobile Operators/..Etc)

Now the thing is how to optimize campaign:- you can check your CTR (click-through rate) for blacklist SiteIDs/ZoneID if your ROI -100, Once you get some conversions then things are easy

Now I think you are promoting offer without pre-lander, as you doesn't mention about landing page so, If you using then it's good and keep using...

Thanks

Well, if someone's device is a 15 inch+ laptop on wireless; they are for marketing purposes a 'desktop'; screen resolution then by os type and browser ...

Hi dear,

First of all, forget about IPs blacklist because it's an upper level thing, you can do IPs targeting/blacklist when you get success on many campaigns and you have a good volume of data for analyzing IPs (WIFI/Mobile Operators/..Etc)

Now the thing is how to optimize campaign:- you can check your CTR (click-through rate) for blacklist SiteIDs/ZoneID if your ROI -100, Once you get some conversions then things are easy

Now I think you are promoting offer without pre-lander, as you doesn't mention about landing page so, If you using then it's good and keep using...

Thanks
You're right! I incorrectly thought that getting -100% ROI on test campaigns wasn't worth the effort of building a pre-lander. I now know for sure I have to always use pre-landers just for the CTR data which will also help me do some optimizations (that you explain) that I can do before getting conversions. Yes I will forget about blacklisting IPs; that's above complicated.

There is no one source.
Blacklisting is about funnel ratios when the IP is a residential IP (real people)' it's your own algorithmic logic and depends on the 'offer' and its payout.

100 hits from a source ->3 to 13 landing page hits ->1 -3 signups (or some other goal) and that goal can vary a lot.

My own webservers block 84 million known datacenters just because of who they are [I can allow individual IP addresses that are partners or have some authorized business relationship with me] and I take out random bots detected by certain traits I know them to use from 10+ years running servers and doing security audits on web traffic -- those get blackholed 444. I block users with browsers that are severely out of date. They are either people with no money or bots that haven't changed their fake (forged) user-agent sigs in many years <<<lazy scraper bots. Who the hell uses MISE6.0 today :D

Advertising networks can blacklist only on a very limited scope.

Ask Me Anything - Private proxy-cloaker FREE!
With my 'known datacenter' proxy IP I clicked through on every ad that I tried so far. That said, I was not abusing any ads so I did not trigger any security countermeasures, if any?, that might have been used by the ad networks to stop me.

An ad network will not get repeat business if their traffic is *that* bad. An ad is only as good as the product advertised value is to the consumer or user/potential customer. Take your product 'offer' to another ad network and see if the results are better.

ClickCease - Click Fraud Protection & Prevention
piechart.png

banners
Back