The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Can you have too many h-tags

tw0manyhats

Hey everybody,

I was just curious if the number of h-tags makes a difference with google or others one way or the other.

Secondly, can you use the same meta keywords in multiple h-tags or is that a no-no.

For example: say I used the words "white dog" in h1 and I use it again in h-2, would that be a problem with google or any other crawler?

Kevin

OK, three days ago was listed with a rank of 7 in 6 of google's datacenters and now I am at "0". What the heck? Now I dont now if each datacenter analyzes your site differently but to make matters worse Google listed my site in supplemental. Could it be because I added tags h2 through h4. Should you only have an h1 tag and leave well enough alone?

Confused.

Kevin

Hi Keven,

Hard to know what Google is thinking and it's hard to guess about the H tags without seeing the page. If it's KW stuffed to the point it looks unnatural then that could be a problem but I'm not sure there is any set rule of thumb.

Also the H tags could have nothing at all to do with your ranking. You could have gotten accidentally dropped or been put in supplemental because the site is new. People have gotten hit with penalties lately for link issues, not sure if you've done anything in that respect that could have caused a problem.

Be patient you could come right back.

Here are the issues you are dealing with. you can over onpage a site. What you do as far as onpage should be determined by the top competitiors for your targeted keywords.
If you comp has h1 and h2, then you can do the same plus h3 and you have one up'd them, but if you continue to keep going, it is like putting a VW up against a top fuel dragster, it kinda sticks out. This is not good.

Now, what made you drop is that you made a 20 to 30 % change as far as site design, onpage at one time and this caused the drop. Too much too quick. title, h tags are considered major changes and strong onpage changes.

Now,as far as data centers. It is estimated that there are now over 400 data centers in the U.S. It takes time for them to share new found changes on the site, so it will settle within a week or so.

If you wanted some better positions, you should build better links and more of them. You can get out of supplemental by adding fresh and relevent links.

Thanks for the info Linda and Jim. Every day is a learning experience and I gotta tell ya....I love learning this stuff!

I submitted a sitemap to Google a week ago without "www" and I was getting sitemap errors. I then deleted the web address and added the site with "www" and a working sitemap. Did I flag myself for either dupe content or should I have not submitted a sitemap at all?

Jim, By the way, I put my site on Craigs List yesterday as you suggested in a different post and my search results doubled. Don't know if I'll get any backlinks out of it but it was cool to see.

PS: Love the dragster analogy :)

Kevin

You should use H tags logically.

Have a H1 main heading, then subheadings of H2 and H3. If you do it in a natural flowing way, and not use the exact same text for all headings, it should benefit you or at least do no harm.

Thanks for the input.

I am using natural sentences but some 1 or 2 keyword combinations are repeated in different tags but used in a different sentence structure. Should keywords never be used more than once in the whole h-tag structure?

"I am using natural sentences"

Not natural sentences, but natural flow of the doc.

Think of it this way, if you were writing purely for people, if there was no such thing as a search engine, how many big bold headings, for readability sake would you have on the page with those keywords? I think that's what was meant by natural flow.

Don't think there's an exact science but I typically use my main phrase in meta title, h1 top of page, h3 subhead maybe like a tag line, couple paragraphs of text, then possibly one more H at the bottom of page, as in a call to action.

The way I do my SEO, most of my client pages get #1 - 5 ranking. Here's an example.
"Electronics Affiliate Program" moderately competitive - over 1 million competing and I'm #3. So you can see how I do my H tags on that page. Again, not that it's the RIGHT way or only way, just an example.

banners
Back